Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my cage from sick innovations and now that i have it i cant put it on. i cannot for the life of me get the rear engine mount nuts loose. i ended up picking up the rear end of the bike when trying to loosen it. the tools required call for: 3/8 drive ratchet, extension and 9/16 socket, ¼ drive ratchet, extension, and 9/16 socket, 8mm Allen socket or T-Handle. i do not have a 1/4 drive ratchet, but that shouldnt be a problem since the 3/8 is b*****, i feel like im goign to break the ratchet. which i have done in the past. anyway anyone else run into similar problems when putting your cage on. any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
put some sort of wd40 or somthing like that on it and instead of pulling up in the ratchet flip it to where you have to push down . aslo get someone to hold the bike just incase

what bike is it helps too

·
Swollen Member
4,967 Posts
Man get some PB Blaster. And a breaker bar ie. a big ass wrench or pipe you can stick on the ratchet to get more leverage. Or sometimes i just kick the shit outa it and it will turn over. Nut up and Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
im not to familiar with the setup of the gsxr but sometimes if you can get the weight of the motor off the bolt it will turn either put a jack under the motor and lift it a little or use a pry bar some how to lift it

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its on! my boy came over with some better tools and we were able to get it after a while of struggling. those cages are no joke to put on. there is no way i could have done it alone. after we got the cage on went to the spot for a 2 hours session. i did my first highchair today. since i had the cage on i figured what the hell. its not to bad, it like doing a tank spreader. anyway those who tried to help, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the ratchet i originally had was short, you could realy get the leverage you need to loosen the rear engine mount bolt. even with the biggger ratchet it was still dam hard. then we needed all kinds of extensions to tighten up the the left and right side of the cages togethr to make it one firm piece. the bolts and nut fit in the tubes of the cages so it is impossible without extensions to tighten everything up. plus, the fit of the cage isnt perfect out of the box. at first i thoguht i was going to have to sendit back just from holding to the body and tryign to get a visual of how it would look like.
you have to kinda get the cage on but have everythign loose, then go from one section at a time and tighten it. it all finally came to gether at the end but it was a huge pain in the ass and im glad i had a friend there to help out, eveen if it owuld have been easy to fit the cage in its designated holes, you would still neeed 2 people to tighten everything up. at least with this particular cage on my particular bike.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Post some pics of what it looks like now, if you can.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...fo' sho. i would have in the first place but my cam is at best buy getting fixed. im am going to call those mofos now to see what the deal is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts