Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the MSF course and bought my first bike. 2000 gsxr600! Haven't taken it out for a first ride yet as the rain has been falling steadily for the past couple of days. But it's supposed to clear up this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get my first chance today after work! Have a full set of gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots) too, btw. I know this is a lot of bike for a beginner, so I will be as careful as possible. Didn't really have a question, just wanted to introduce myself. Later!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
congrats , i guesss

first place you need to head is a parking lot, and go over emergency braking, and swerving and all the basics you did during the class.

the street isn't the place to familarize yourself w/ the bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! yea, I already have the lot I want to head to in mind. I'm right near Washington DC, and the stadium where the Redskins used to play (RFK Stadium) before their move to the suburbs has a HUGE parking lot. I even has a track painted on it. They raced a Le Mans race their about 2 years ago, just to give you an idea of how big it really is. So that's where I'm going to go, going over the MSF drills again and again. I also just finished up reading the Twist of the Wrist books by Keith Code. Speaking of that, I did have one question...Are there any other really good books about sport riding, with a b***** emphasis on STREET riding? The TotW books were great and many of the techniques outlined in those books can be applied to everyday riding, but I was just wondering if there was any literature anyone could recommend that focuses on street riding specifically?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hahaha +1 to that idea.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Congrats man. Put a bunch of miles on the bike before you start riding it like a sportbike. I always hear of people laying them down because they go into turns to hot. Just keep it slow for awhile.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Be carefull they can turn a bad situation ugly in no time at all. Congrats on the bike and new love.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
Congrats man. Put a bunch of miles on the bike before you start riding it like a sportbike. I always hear of people laying them down because they go into turns to hot. Just keep it slow for awhile.
Not necessarily too hot and just wrecking, but going in too hot and grabbing too much front or rear brake...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
Because they were going to fast. Right?
not necessarily, there are alot of sit's. where newbs grab the brakes instead of lean more...........

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
Gotcha. I've done it myself.
and the speed doesn't have to be fast.........they just think it's fast for there experience level, and grab brakes, while the bike is leaned over as little lean as they may be at.........and the ft washes out.

when all they needed to do was either lean further, or straighten (T) up the bars , then apply brakes...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SicFLgirlR6 said:
What kind of frame sliders did you go with??
Actually they were on the bike already when I bought it used. So I'm not really sure...They should be fine though, right? Not a very advanced mod, are some brands actually better than others?:dunno

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Well, I don't have any crash results to refer to, but I'd be willing to bet that some nice Intuitive sliders protect better than the carbon fiber abominations that LP makes.

I have Total Control by Lee Parks, which I like a lot, and Sport Riding Techiniques is on the way. Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough is the book I see recommended most often.

·
Registered
279 Posts
nig said:
Well, I don't have any crash results to refer to, but I'd be willing to bet that some nice Intuitive sliders protect better than the carbon fiber abominations that LP makes.

I have Total Control by Lee Parks, which I like a lot, and Sport Riding Techiniques is on the way. Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough is the book I see recommended most often.

+1 to total control by lee parks, very good usefull info in that book.

·
Registered
522 Posts
+2 for Total Control great book, just remember reading a book won't make you a good rider. Seat time with the aid of the book will.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts