Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
more specifically Maui, I was there for a mini vacation. (not to ride though)

Man talk about SQUID CENTRAL. I say this mostly cause NO ONE wears gear there on all the bikes I saw people riding around.

I live and work in DC, and sure you might run into someone with a half helmet or perhaps no gloves or something, but nothing like the no helmet - tank top - shorts - flip flop CBR/r1/GXR and the occasional cruiser going individuals I saw driving around.

Now I know it's Hawaii, and it's the beach, and the island, and it's hot, but does anyone there wear leathers? Not even perf stuff?

It gets hot down for riding down here in DC in the summer and I wear my leathers. I deal, it sucks.. but I like my skin.

Any riders down here from HI want to chime in? I am curious to hear thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm sure riders from FL can chime in on this too since there are a lot of squids there and its almost just as hot

·
Registered
586 Posts
that's just typical squid behavior. it makes sense to them. so better yet, explain to me how it can be 45 degrees out and they're in nearly the same thing. jeans, hoodie, loose sneakers and oakleys.

it's just plain crazy mofos.

·
Registered
78 Posts
when i was stationed in hawaii in 99 it was like that. not a lot of places to ride, Round top and a couple of sections of H1 and lik lik highway where good. mostly slow traffic though so you get a lot of ungeared people and showing off in traffic. prime squid environment

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
I wear my gear. Mesh jacket with armor for my daily commutes. Leather jacket on weekend rides. Boots, gloves, helmet, etc.

I do see alot of riders with absolutely ZERO gear on but shades. Slippers, board shorts, wife beaters and baseball caps turned backwards. I even saw one poor sap on the highway with no glasses/shades/eye protection on. That's crazy.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha brah! That's the island way it seems, why I don't know but it's like that here on Oahu as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I lived there, always wore armored leather jacket, boots, full helmet, gloves, etc. Painfully hot on some days, but better than losing skin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got back from Maui last month, and it was just like you said. I saw a lot of riders on rented Harley's with no helmet or gear. I did see one sportbike rider with full leathers on in Lahaina. He must have been dying in them though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wear full leathers every ride, but I'm the oddball. A few riders will have a helmet and jacket. Some will have just a helmet. The other 99 1/4% will have shades and a T-shirt.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
it's hot here in TX about 5 months out of the year, 90F+ w/high humidity but I still wear leathers; better safe than sorry. Anyways I'm sure there are alot of riders in HI that wear leathers and that you just didn't see them.

·
The chick on the Beemer!
455 Posts
I was in Hawaii back in 2001 and I really did not even think it was that hot there. We were in Oahu and Maui. When the prevailing winds blow I found it to be very comfortable. We were there in July and I found it to be much more comfortable than South Texas. With those winds a lot of homes in Hawaii don't even have AC. Heat should not be an excuse in Hawaii. I think it is just the beach atmosphere promoting the squid gear.

·
6th Gear Whore
314 Posts
yeah, hawaii is not that bad. it feels like mid to high 80s at most. basically perfect weather for riding. i would feel very comfortable riding with leathers on. though i wont ever ride without a helmet/gloves/jacket. its stupid to ride in flip flops

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's just the kick-back lifestyle there, so when they ride like that, it's just a casual cruise to someplace very closeby (like there's nothing far away on a small island?), no canyon dance, do drag shots, just mellow cruise. That's my guess anyways. That beach must be waaaaayy too distracting for the bikes anyway. Priority shift?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I see it on the highway all the time as they cruising by in their t-shirts, no helmet and shorts.

I've even seen large group rides where the odd person out is the one wearing a jacket.

Even worse is the gals on back not protected. All that fine Asian ass going to waste.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought not wearing gear was a normal nationwide thing. I hardly see anyone wearing gear here. I of course wear mine, mesh helps alot with the heat and humidity.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
LOL Hawaii IS squid central. It's very rare when you someone riding with at least a leather jacket. I went to Orlando a month ago and over there was squid central as well. Not even once I saw a rider with at least a mesh jacket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts