Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first sport bike, a 1986 Kawasaki Ninja ZX1000, and it came without an owner's manual, so I ordered the Kawasaki Service manual for the bike off the internet. However, I need to ride the bike to an inspection station before it arrives and I would like to change the oil before I do.

So my two questions are:

1) The bike says "4L" on it, does this mean it takes 4 liters of oil?
2) Is there any trick to draining it of all the oil? Is it just the one drain plug on the bottom, or are there others that need to be dealt with?

I realize these are newbie questions, but I'm trying to avoid any stupid mistakes. Hopefully the service manual will arrive soon.

-- Henry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guy,hope this helps.Just unscrew the drain plug,unscrew the oil filter.After all oil drains,pour into a measuring device.That should get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Yeah, and there should be either an oil window or a dipstick under the oil cap, to make sure.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
NORMALLY, 4L (or 4T) is talking about the type of engine and type of oil needed (2-stroke or 4-stroke). On some older bikes I've seen they still have the 4T or 4L on them. I could be wrong about yours, but I think that's what it means.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Search the bike for a sticker that tells you the weight and quantity of oil needed. If you don't find it, start by putting in 3L and check the oil level. Add more if necessary.

There's only one oil drain bolt. Simply remove it and let the oil drain out. While it's draining, remove the oil filter. Then install the new filter, screw the drain bolt back in, and add oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts