Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am use to riding my brothers FZ6 2005, compartively the rear brake on the ZZR600 seems to be horrible in comparison, I feel that I have to push really hard for very little response compared to the FZ6... the front has tons.. I understand that it's a 30% - 70% ratio but, I looked at the pads and I think they are fine? The bike only has 4800 miles on them, however it does appear the previous owner(s) one of them did do a panic stop and put a little scrape spot on the tire, so i'll probably need new tires fairly soon, looks like a lot of riding in a straight line too, starting to square a fair amount, nothing too horribly noticeable though. As far as I can tell the bike has been taken care of, no scratches or dents.. and I doubt ever dropped or laid down as he claimed... What do you guys think?

Also at what temperature should I warm the engine up prior to going above 3k RPM ? The Fz6 and a blinking light for that =D.

Also does anyone recommend a particular riding pant? I just blew my money on a pair of alpine star air gloves and a gx 3.0 cortech sport jacket, both red... also what kind of motorcycle shoes / boots should I get? I also have a Trekker Fly racing crossover helmet.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, also.. strange thing happened to me today, was just going through my neighborhood on the way out.. I forgot to turn the choke off... however prior to that the motorcycle acted as If my throttle was stuck? I tried turning the throttle further off but it continued to act stuck so I just killed it and restarted it without the choke on as that is when I noticed.. was that all due to the choke?

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/zzr-600/420248-post-up-your-gear.html

I rarely use the rear brakes on my ZZR, the fronts get the job done. Perhaps you need to adjust the rear brake pedal to suit your needs. As far as warming the engine, it shouldn't sit idling for more than five minutes. And shouldn't be revved above 2500 rpm's before the engine is warm. As soon as I get a temp registering on the temp gauge, I usually begin riding. That's normally around 108 degrees, after I take off the engine temp comes up quickly.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Check the obvious things to see if the bike has been laid down.

Bar end scratches
Levers bent/scratched
Damage to engine casings
Mirror damage/rash

Of course someone can easily fix all of the above, but so many times the previous owners will take half assed measures and not fix one or all of the signs.

If in doubt, enlist the help of a seasoned sportbike rider and have them give the bike a once over.

BTW - you should want that rear brake lever to be hard to lockup. You can adjust it otherwise, but I'd say think twice before doing so.

First bike? Please be careful, and consider the MSF course or getting some books and practice maneuvers in a parking lot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have Galfer rotors,pads and Russel braided lines front and rear. The rear brake locks up easily but that is what modulating the brakes is all about

1 - 7 of 7 Posts