Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new ('06) Speed Triple last Tuesday. Only managed to put 120 miles on it before we got socked with about a foot and a half of snow, but it was enough to see what all the fuss is about. What a great bike! It's absolutely killing me not being able to ride it, but at least it's inside were I can look over it.

Looking for the oil filter, I noticed a few threaded holes on the bottom of the engine (see pic). I assume these are just for brackets and things when the engine is used in other bikes, but just wanted to check. Any sense picking up some bolts for these just to keep water and road debris out?

Does anyone have any experience with the Triumph alarm? Features, how well it works, how much space it takes up...

I ordered the service manual, but it won't be in for about a week or so. Looking at the engine, it doesn't seem like you'd be able to get the valve cover off without dropping the engine a bit. Is that the case? Just wondering what'll be involved when I need to check/adjust valves.

Thanks guys...

Attachments

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
I don't have any ansswers for you. Have you scoped out triumphrat.net? Them cats know Triumphs backwards and forward. I'm pretty sure there is an s3 section too.
Sweet looking ride BTW...congrats to you. Looks like a load of fun.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I knew you'd make the correct choice. :)

And if it's anything like the old design, you can adjust the valves by taking off the tank and airbox and just taking the cover off.

They may have changed it, though.

+1 on triumphrat

:)

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kevinwilly said:
I knew you'd make the correct choice. :)
Yea, it was a close call, even as the salesman wheeled the bike back to the service area to have it filled with fluids, I keep thinking I should say "wait, wait, wait, I changed my mind, I'll take a 675", but I didn't. As I rode it home, it only took about 200 feet down the road before I knew I made the right choice. I'm sure I'd have been tickled with a 675, but there's just something about the S3. My Suzuki's been looking real nervous lately... :)

kevinwilly said:
And if it's anything like the old design, you can adjust the valves by taking off the tank and airbox and just taking the cover off.
Hopefully that's the case, but it's not a big deal either way.

And I'll def. check out Triumphrat.net

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The cover is tricky, but it can be done without dropping the motor. Be glad you have the newer design with the shims over the buckets!

Also check out T595.net...some really sharp owners over there as well.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
nice choice!

I thought the threaded holes might be for a belly pan, but doesn't look like it.
this is a tasty bit...nicer than the Triumph version (I think)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
wally1964 said:
The cover is tricky, but it can be done without dropping the motor. Be glad you have the newer design with the shims over the buckets!

Also check out T595.net...some really sharp owners over there as well.

Yeah, the guys at t595 are MUCH more helpful for my purposes, but that's because i have a t595....

i dunno about the s3

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have just over 400 miles on the Triple, and I have to say, this thing is a beast in every sense of the word. The engine is torquey (sp?) as hell, and at the same time, as smooth as silk. I haven't ridden the Busa since last Nov/Dec, but I don't seem to recall speed happenning quite so unintentionally. Every time I look down, I find myself going 15 to 20 over the speed limmit. There's no unusual engine vibrations at any specific RPM, and even though you're out in the wind, the airflow around you and the bike is quite smooth - pretty much all the ques I'm used to indicating increasing speed aren't there. It's only about 60 to 70 lbs lighter than my Busa, but it just feels much lighter. Steering is very light (perhapse partly due to the fact that the Busa has a damper and this doesn't). The seating position is obviously much more upright. Overall, it's a very different ride, and that's exactly what I wanted. I couldn't be happier that I was able to trade my V-Rod in on this thing. Not that the Harley wasn't a nice bike, but it just never got used, and that's something that won't happen with the Triple... This thing's going to see a lot of miles this year!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts