Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when I checked it out, mechanically it seemed OK, although took a while for hte bike to warm up but I guess that's normal for a carbureted bike. Anyhow, my friend rode it home for me cause I don't have my permit yet. When we got home there was oil all over his left shoe. Looks like a bad gasket somewhere on the left side of the motor. (I will take pics tomorrow). What do you guys suggest I do? I guess you guys can't really diagnose my problem since there are no pictures but are motorcycle parts relatively easy to replace/repair? Seems so since they're much smaller and easily accessible as opposed to cars.

I'll post some pictures and see if you guys can tell me what kind of problem it looks like. Thanks SBN! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Took a closer look, maybe a cracked hose somewhere? What do you guys think? The picture isn't too clear. I'll take things apart and get a closer look when I have time.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Well, the thing that you took a picture of is the water pump housing, so oil must be leaking somewhere forward of that point and blowing back on to it (this is my guess). Clean everything off REALLY good so there isn't any oil or dirt on the underside/front of the motor. You can go nuts with some shop towels, or you could try stuff like Engine Brite or some other foaming engine cleaner. After everything is really clean, start the bike up and let it run for a lil bit. Shut it off and get down there and try to figure out exactly where the oil is coming from. That's my suggestion... report back in the morning lol

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
The biggest mistake people make is changing the oil filter. Sometimes they dont realize the rubber gasket stuck on the housing and put another one on. Best advice is to strip the fairings, ride it, then park it over some newspaper, then you will find your leak.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Isn't it kinda hard to find a leak though when everything is covered in oil and dirt?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll be pretty busy in the next couple days but I will DEFINITELY take your guys' advice and clean it up and get a closer look at where the leak is coming from.

PS. the owner said that the bike had ZERO problems since the last time he rode it. The thing is he has had the bike in storage for the last 4 months or so. So what could have happened in those 4 months to make the bike leak oil? Any guesses?

I will keep you guys updated and take more pix. Thanks for the help so far I really appreciate it :cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spike said:
Isn't it kinda hard to find a leak though when everything is covered in oil and dirt?
I guess that's what cleaning the dirt off is for :neener

BTW where is the oil filter located? What does it look like?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok I changed the oil today and replaced the filter. Then Wiped off all the dirt and oil from the outside and took some pics. Started the bike up, and it looks like it's leaking from this thing:

What is this part? How hard would it be to remove? Any ideas? Thanks guys

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
That's your water pump housing. It's really easy to remove, I had to put a new water pump in my 250 a lil while ago. The water pump is RIGHT behind the housing. You might just need a new gasket for your housing, I would try that first. On the inside of the housing there is a thin piece of rubber that goes all the way around the outside, it's tucked into a little groove (you'll see what I mean once you pull it off).

If you want to take if off, drain the system of coolant by unscrewing the bolt I have circled (I'm pretty sure it's this one, there should be one bolt that's a different size than the rest, that's it) and let it drain into a catch pan of some kind. It's going to spit the bolt out when you unscrew it all the way so be careful. Once the system is drained, unbolt all the bolts that appear to be holding the housing on. Pay attention to where each of them goes!!!! I've sat there for like an hour trying to figure out which one goes where!! If you put the wrong one in the wrong hole you MIGHT crack the water pump. This is what happened to the previous owner of my bike, hence the reason I had to replace the waterpump!! Once you have it off you'll see what gasket I'm talking about. I would go to a local parts store and see if they have any in stock, the dealership is probably your best bet for this, it shouldn't be expensive at all, even at the dealership. Replace the gasket, bolt it back together (properly), fill the cooling system (if you don't know how to do this properly, do a search) and fire it up and see what's kicking.

There is oil directly underneath your water pump and this is probably where the oil is coming from... If you have any questions you can honestly give me a call - 863-838-5951. I'm in the Eastern time zone and I'll be up really late tonight hahahaha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That's where the leak is coming from... what part is this called? Any idea how much it would cost to fix? How easy would it be to replace a gasket here (if that's the problem)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
That's your engine cover/generator cover, the gasket is 9 bucks... anyone have any ideas? Is it possible it could be something besides the gasket in that engine cover?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Next time I tell you something and I have a damn parts schematic to back me up, you better listen! And next time, SCROLL DOWN! lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, good news.. the seller agreed to have the bike looked at/repaired.

Bad part is he thinks I sabotaged it to make it look like it has a problem when it really does :rolleyes

Anyway I'll come back with the results!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts