Sport Bikes banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge the quality of advice - OLD

71K views 182 replies 174 participants last post by  rbrsddn 
#1 ·
I've been the moderator of the New Riders' Forum for a year or so now and I've seen a lot of guys with little experience trying to teach other people. Sometimes the advice they offer is good, based on something they read or a course they've taken. Sometimes the advice they give is bad and is based on too little seat time. This is likely to get someone hurt.

In my opinion the current "free-for-all" system is not really working to educate new riders who need real, solid advice. I think new riders should be free to contribute, but I think that their advice needs to be given the appropriate weight against the opinions of other, more experienced people.

Therefore, to help sort out the experienced guys from the new guys, I am encouraging regular posters in this forum - people who like to give others advice - to post their Riding Resume. Let's see how everyone stacks up.

The format, more or less, should be:

Handle:tmkreutzer

Year bought first street bike: 1986

Type of bikes owned: 1983 Kawasaki KZ550, 1978 Suzuki GS850G, 1988 Kawasaki KE100, 1969 Yamaha DR125, 1979 Honda CBX, 1988 Honda CBR250R, 1994 Honda CB1000, 1991 Suzuki GSXR1100 (cuurent)

Certifications/Classes Etc: Current drivers licenses with unlimited motorcycle endorsement for WA state and Japan. No Classes.

General Experience: I've been a street rider for around 20 years, have had a bike pretty much the entire time. I have ridden and driven in several different countries and never had a serious accident in a car or on a bike.
If you are a advisor in this forum, please submit something similar detailing your STREET experience. <EDIT> On second thought, thanks to Medic's great post, dirt experience is good too, but please differentiate between the two. (ex: "20 years total experience, 18 in dirt, 2 on the street")

Everything in this thread is should be the unadulterated truth. I will review and challenge anything in this thread that doesn't make sense. Squids and liars will be found out and :urowned

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! IF YOU DON'T SEE A PERSON'S RESUME IN THIS SECTION, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE AMOUNT OF CREDIBILITY THEY DESERVE BEFORE TAKING THIER ADVICE!

ALSO, PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS IN THIS THREAD LIMITED TO RIDERS RESUMES ONLY. OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL CONFUSE READERS AND MAKE THE THREAD DIFFICULT TO NAVIGATE. OFF TOPIC POSTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELETION.

See less See more
#128 ·
handle: pbureau69
age 40

year bought first street bike: 1982

type of bike owned: 1982 suzuki GS 400, 1982 Suzuki GS 650, 250cc Honda Reflex, 2005 Susuzki GS500

Certifications/Classes: (current) MSF Basic (2005), M.C Endorsement State of Texas (2005)

General Experiences: was riding for a few year and encountered a life changing accident (including loss of a friend) and realization that gear DOES save your life.

Stepped away for 10 years, moved to automobile pro-stock 1/4 miles racing for a decade, and stepped back into the saddle 2 years ago.

I dont stunt, I dont race, I ride every day to work (96 miles round trip) rain, shine, heat or cold...over 15K miles a year just to get to work.

#129 ·

Year bought first street bike: 2001

Bikes owned: Various dirt bikes, 1993 Ducati 750SS, 2002 Yamaha R6, 2006 Yamaha R6 (current).

Certifications/Classes Etc: Current M license, MSF graduate, Ed Bargy Race School graduate, current WERA race license.

General Experience: I've ridden dirt since I was 2 years old, and switched to general street riding at the age of 15. At the age of 18 I quit general street riding and began sport riding and doing track days. I am currently preparing for my first season of race comeptition with WERA.

#130 ·
Handle:bronco

Year bought first street bike: 2003

Type of bikes owned: 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 A, 1994 Harley Davidson Tour Glide (For Sale) and an FZ6 ASAP

Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF New Riders

General Experience: I've been a street rider since 2003. I commute in busy urban traffic, good deal of highway rush hour time, have made several 1500 mile trips, and can offer some good knowledge of spirited cruiser riding.

#131 ·
blue streak
age 22

bikes owned dirt: a fiddy, ttr 125, ttr 225, yz250
street: honda shadow sabre 1100, yamaha r6

current bikes: yamaha ttr225, yamaha r6

riding experiance: 12yrs dirt,, 2 yrs street

extras..small engine mechanic, paint and body experiance:nuts

#132 ·
Handle:pinchy

Year bought first street bike: 2007

Type of bikes owned: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja250

Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF BRC

General Experience: I'm a new street rider that has a lot to learn! :boink

Hi everyone!

#133 ·
Handle: Going Ape Nutz

Year bought first street bike: 2004

Type of bikes owned: 2003 GSXR 600 (for about 3 months), 1989 Honda VTR250

Certifications/Classes Etc: Never had an endorsement (New Mexico). Never attended a MSF course (will be doing so in the spring). Was taught street riding by/and practiced with a rider of 25+ years who had been a safety instructor at one time. Even he makes mistakes, and has since paid for one of them.

General Experience: I grew up around an uncle who wrote for motorcycle magazines covering races in Europe. Rode 25 and 50cc dirtbikes and small atv's/three wheelers as a child. Had a hiatus for about 12 years until I could get back into motorcycles. Used to do the 'riding friends bikes' thing for several years. Was gifted a 03 GSXR 600 when I was 23, which quickly showed me I was not ready for such a bike. I traded it for a 89 honda vtr250, which I owned for 2 years before selling it to attend paramedic school. Never wreaked on a bike, but have first hand experience with the bad side of motorcycles through my 5 years as an EMT.

#134 · (Edited)
Name: CrazyBiker

Year bought 1st street bike: 2001

Bikes Owned: TVS Victor, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Certifications: M/C license holder since 1999. MSF BRC (2007).

General Experience: No accidents (knock on wood). Been crazy after 2 wheelers since childhood. Could afford one only in 2001 back in India where traffic is crazy, conjested and with no discipline.

Got introduced to performance riding in USA and discovered renewed passion for bikes and mods. Never wrenched anything before 2004 and learned a whole lot of stuff as you can see through the mods listed in my signature.

#135 · (Edited)
Handle:636blurr

Year bought first street bike: 1990

Year first dirt bike: 1976

Type of bikes owned: Honda 50, 1972 yami 360, YZ 400, 1982 virago 750, 2006 ninja 250, 2004 ninja ZX6r
Certifications/Classes Etc: Class A type one CDL with Tanker endorsement.

General Experience: I started riding at six on a dirtbike, have never really stopped, I bought my first street bike in 1990 rode it untell 2003 then sold it, in 2006 I bought the little ninja for gas mileage, needed more power and last april, bought the zx6R. I like to carve on the canyons. And love to drag.
I am a firm believer that the dirt makes a better street rider, and becouse of my dirt history, it has bailed me out of several tight spots on the street. I also believe in staying visible, first by wearing bright colors, and the second learning to ride that way. Each person should do there best to learn there own style, but to take time to listen, read, and learn to expand there knowledge always. Even if its someone riding a cruiser, they probably know something you dont.
I am also now doing trackdays.
Schools: Suspension clinic, Advanced riding clinic.

Edit: 2/4/09 half dozen trackdays down (five or six I forget lol)
Gear, Cortech/tourmaster textile jacket, jean pants, Scarabb RR gloves, & DSX pants, AGV forza 2 two piece leathers, A*stage boots, Sidi vertigo Corsa boots, Teknic Speedstar gloves.
Wrenching ability, anything I want to do but IM burned out from growing up building cars for street racing, rebuilding totals and owning heavy equipment, About all I do is basic maintenance, if I can afford it for anything else, it goes to the shop now.

#136 · (Edited)
Well here goes.

Ducman851

45 years old, been riding since I was 4.

Started on a Rupp minibike. First real bike was a Honda Z50. After a plethora of dirtbikes as a kid I snunk out at the age of 15 and bought my first street bike, a 1976 Kawasaki S-3 400 triple 2 stroke. There have been many streetbikes since then including many cool British bikes I wish I still had.

Ive attended both MSF classes, and Numerous trackdays and schools.

I roadrace, ride desert, and street. I do long distance touring events (Think Iron Butt) and have logged 4 SSK1 and 3 BBG1500 rides. I have participated in 1 5 day 5000 mile rally, but what an ass kicker.

I started racing Motocross and Enduros in Minnesota when I was 10. Started Roadracing in the late 80s on a CB750F. Continued with club stuff untill I got involved with AHRMA in 1999. In 2000 I did a full season and won a National #1 in Battle of the Twins on a Laverda and finished 3rd in the BOT F3 class.

As of late the current stable of bikes includes:

1963 Honda CA77 Dream 305
1974 Honda Trail 70
1984 Honda ATC200X
1985 LT250R Quad
1990 Ducati 851 Superbike
1993 Ducati 888 SPO
1995 Ducati 916
2000 Ducat 748
2001 Ducati M900
2002/3 M800 <-- current trackbike
1988 Harley FXRS Lowrider

Ive been here on SBN since the early days, 1998 IIRC. Signed on staff in 1999. Havent looked back since.

#137 ·
Name:metalrat

First bike: 196? Honda trail CT90. Explore the woods and pick your way down a trail.
First street bike 1977: Honda 305 Scrambler 1967. Only had the bike for about 6 months. Mom found my "stash" and took the bike.:bitchslap

Had a 28 year drought of street bikes. Occasional loaner bike. Not much else.

Current bikes: Yamaha FZ6 2006. Suzuki DR200SE 2001. Yamaha TTR125.

MSF class in California 1977. CA endorsment.
MSF class in Alaska 2006. AK endorsment.

General experience: A dozen or so different dirt bikes growing up and as an adult. I have aprox 10k miles on the street and put in about 5k a year more.
Group rides, around town and twisties. We have a short season up here so I have been experimenting with screws/studded tires on the DR200SE.

#139 · (Edited)
Name:Brandon

Year bought first street bike: 2001

Previous bikes owned: 1990 ZX7, 2002 R6, 2003 Yamaha R1
Current bikes owned: 2009 Yamaha R1, 1996 Ninja 500, and a
1984 Honda ATC 70
Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF BRC, ERC, MSRC RiderCoack
Track days: 2

General Experience: To start off this thing I'll explain how long I've been around this sort of thing. When I was 3 yes 3 my parents bought me a 84 Honda ATC 70 3 wheeler that I still own, they also bought two 4 wheelers that I rode until I was 12 when I got my first dirt bike Yamaha RT 180. I rode that for a couple of years and then bought a YZ 250. Had the 250 until I turned 18 and joined the Navy. Shortly after boot camp I bought the ZX7 and haven't looked back. In 2007 I started doing track days and am HOOKED. I'm also an MSF RiderCoach.

#140 ·
OK, here goes. 48, been riding continuously on the street since about 1997. I forget the exact date. It may have been 1998. Rode for a number of years in the dirt as a kid, but got sidetracked. I probably have about 100K miles in on the road, although I have been tapering off on road riding lately. Took up racing this season after riding various bikes on the track since 2002. Took the MSF class a long time ago, and the ERC long enough ago I should take it again for an attitude adjustment. I think I have ridden more than different bikes and have owned seven since 1997 or 1998. Two of those were Triumph TT600s. I loved them. Go figure. Riding as much as I have and riding on the track means I know from first hand experience crashing sucks and gear works.

#141 ·
Baldheadeddork - age 43

Started riding 1986. Currently between bikes. Past bikes: Yamaha XS400, Kawasaki EX500, Kawasaki GPZ1100. Next bike - first gen Suzuki SV650.

Motorcycling experience: Over 200,000 miles of street experience. (145K on the EX500) Didn't own a car for eight years. MMI graduate, former working mechanic and production racing tuner, mostly in CCS. Freelanced for a couple of magazines in the early 90's until I got tired of spending months chasing down the paycheck.

Favorite entry-level bike? Probably the EX500. Inexpensive, bulletproof, tons of used parts available.

Best advice: The best money you'll ever spend on your bike is in the suspension.

#142 · (Edited)
Rider Resume - kevin_stevens

Handle: kevin_stevens

Year bought first street bike: 1970

Previous bikes:
'?? Suzuki TS125
'77 Suzuki GS750
'81 Suzuki GS450S
'81 Yamaha 550 Seca
'86 Honda Hurricane
'?? Honda Nighthawk 700S
'?? Honda FT500 Ascot
'86 Honda VFR700F
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
'98 BMW K1200RS
'98 Suzuki TL1000S
'03 Suzuki GSX-R1000
'00 Moto Guzzi V11S
'01 Honda CBR600F4i
'97 Ducati 748
'01 Triumph Speed Triple
'06 Kawasaki ZX-14

Current bikes:
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Buell 1125CR

Certifications/Classes Etc: CA motorcycle endorsement, but I transferred from Texas so don't ask me about the CA driving test or the MSF BRC. Multiple MSF ERC. Lee Parks ARC. Jason Pridmore STAR riding school. Reg Pridmore CLASS riding school. StreetMasters riding clinic.

General Experience: Dirt rider from 12-18, street license since 15, motorcycle as sole transportation for a ten year period and pretty consistent riding outside of that. Several hundred thousand miles career. Currently commute 4+ days/week, sport riding, and track days. I also compete at autocross, numerous regional championships and National Tour wins in everything from Corvettes to Miatas to rally cars; currently '05 Evo RS.

Track Familiarity: Buttonwillow, Willow Springs (big track, Streets, and HorseThief), Spring Mountain (Pahrump), Laguna Seca, Auto Club Speedway AMA course (Fontana), Chuckwalla. Oh, and I've done Thunderhill in a Corvette.

One significant motorcycle accident in '81 - classic oncoming left-turner. Bike totalled, very fortunately no serious injury. One insignificant lowside in '10, minor damage, no injury.

KeS

#143 ·
Handle:ajd187

Year bought first street bike: March, 2007

Type of bikes owned: 2005 Kawasaki KFX700 ATV, 2004 Yamaha YFZ450 ATV, 2001 Honda XR70, 2004 Suzuki RM65, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2002 Yamaha YZ85 (current), 2005 Yamaha YZ250F (current), 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (current).

Certifications/Classes Etc: Current drivers licenses with unlimited motorcycle endorsement for NY. MSF BRC completed May, 2007.

General Experience: I've been a riding dirt since I was about 12, and just got on the street bike last year. I have about 4000 miles of mixed experience, with more to come. I started riding street because I needed a riding fix during the week. I live in the suburbs, and dirt is my first love, but pretty much a weekend only activity.

#144 ·
R1oldguy

Kevin, Kebbles, Kebbleesta, Obiwon

started riding on the street in 1978.
rode and raced dirt before that.

started drag racing bikes in early 80s

first street bike, 1975 kawasaki 175 smoker. slow but really ugly

various other street bikes for long or short. whatever I/we could get running at the time.

two accidents on road to date, both my fault.
road rash does indeed suck, no matter what the squids tell ya.

current ride. 2002 R1
hopefully i will get a 1098 or 848 soon. we'll see

#145 ·
Handle: BuiltGypsy

Year Bought First Street Bike: 2006

Type Of Bikes Owned: 2006 Suzuki Katana 600, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic

Certifications/Classes Etc:
MSF BRC (2X: 2005 and 2007)
Military motorcycle accident statistics course
South Carolina rider endorsement, current California endorsement

General Experience: Started out in 2006 with an '06 Katana 600. Top-heavy bike that was a bad idea as a first sportbike. Involved as 3rd party in a hit and run that ended that bike. Bought an '06 Vulcan 900 two days later, have been riding it ever since. Hey, it's paid off. Wrench on my own bike, except for tire changes (no bike lift). The bike is used as a daily commuter and entertainment.

Currently Mileage:
~12,000
~120 of those 2-up

Riding Conditions:
Sustained High Winds (gusts to 85 mph+)
Extremely Heavy Rains
Very Cold (~30 degrees)
Too Damn Hot (~110)
Perfect (often enough :bowdown)

Accidents:
Hit-And-Run that killed the 600. Not at fault.
>5mph lowside in rain.
>10 mph lowside in dirt/gravel.
Accidental hotwiring that put the bike on its side and a dent in the tank.

#146 ·
AK-busa
37 years young

i started riding street at age 14.

dirt at age 8.

certs. Hv/Ac,journeyman plumber,pipe welder,BA computer science,class c/m,
abate safety course,

started riding when i was 8. on a yamaha 100 enduro. i had to lean it on a tree to take off.LOL not the best fit or smartest. the next year i worked in my dads shop pushing a broom to get a suzuki rm-80. and from there it was a love that i hope will carry over to my boys. i have owned lots of bikes in my time so i will list the ones i liked the most.
69 sporster i built at 16. a 81 lowrider i built at 18.
i still have my custom soft tail i built 03.thats it for usa made.
i have also owned a gpz 750 turbo, honda 500 two stroke,gsxr 1100, 00 busa,
yamaha 650, and a 77 duc 750 racer. all of these i bought used and fixed them and put them back in shape, good running bikes. i use to watch the papers for free or cheep bikes, and at one time i had just about every brand of bike sold in the us, out behind my shop i had over a 100 bikes some where parts some just needing love. till my first wife said they had to go. a year later we were divorced.
i have now an 06 busa, 03 Z1000, 99 R6, and a soft tail,
i still ride dirt when i can but for the most part it is all street/track i use to drag race my bikes on week ends not pro just for fun, in my 20's.and started track days on sport bikes in my late 20's. yes i have wrecked and it scared the shit out of me every time.i love working on bikes all bikes. i cant remember never wanting one.
i enjoy helping people with there bikes. :cheers

#147 · (Edited)
Handle: JCP636

Year bought first street bike: 2005

Years riding on the street: 3+

Miles ridden on the street: 35,000 and counting

Bikes owned: 79 KZ650, 2005 kawasaki zx6r(636)-current

Training: Advanced msf course(gay), ART Basic school through team promotion

General experience: 10 trackdays done over 3 years. 1 Race last year. Lots of hard twisty riding. Commute daily through the city 7-8 months out of the year.

#148 ·
handle sr5791
age 39
years riding 27
bikes
?? 5hp mini bike
?? yamaha mx80
?? honda 250
82 yamaha seca 400 (totalled)
91 honda nighthawk 750
03 yamaha fz1

in the past 23 months I have put 20,000 miles on two wheels better than half in austin traffic, and it never ceases to amaze me the lack of respect we get out there. I frequently ride two up usually my nine year old daughter, but often I will take girls from work for a spin.

I completed a safety course in 87, then again when in the army in germany apx 90, took msf course in 06. for riding as long as I have I still get humbled frequently when riding usually not the machine, but frequently the buttheads around me. From reading some of the post here I am far from higher level of wisdom and experience, but every once in a while I get to chime in with some valuable info.

#149 ·
Handle Singletrackmind/Rizabusa/Phillyriz
Age 30
years riding: 7 street, 22 dirt (off and on)
Bikes:
Honda 90cc ATV 197*
Yamaha Endro 100cc 197*
1999 GSXR750 (two of them)
2001 TL1000R
2003 660 raptor
2003 Hayabusa
1998 GSXR600
2005 GSXR1000 (two of them, one currently)
2005 GSXR600 (currently)
2001 CBR F41 (track)

Over the past 7 years I have put on between 40k and 50k miles. Most of my riding has been done in Suburban Philly, Baltimore County and city, Washington/Northern VA and also Chicagoland/Milwaukee.
I have done several track days in the in the Chicago/Milwaukee area but none on the east coast. I have done a few classes with Leon @ private track time, 2 learning curves class with "Super Dave" Dave Rosono and a couple STT basic classes.
I moved back to the Philly area in 2006 and found a new breed of riders. They are mostly mature adults (i use this term loosely) that ride the Lap area (wooden wawa in Chadd's Ford) at a accelerated pace. I have been Humbled by these guys quite a few times. I have also seen several bikes in the bushes so I know my limits.

I also do all of my own maintenance and have an ok selection of tools (and some experience)that include a tire machine and balancer. I have given several of the local riders help with tire work and other maintenance.

#150 ·
handle: dorepsol2

years riding: 8 (off and on)

bikes owned: 01 gsxr 600, 00 cbr 929rr, 02 gsxr 600 (current)

courses complete: MSF

experience: been riding on and off on the street for 7 years and this past year may 07 i finally did my first trackday and now that is where i ride the majority of the time. i do the occasional cruise around the city when im bored but the track is where its at. i did 3 trackdays last season and hope to at least double that this season.

#151 · (Edited)

Bikes:
99' Yamaha R6

Year riding: one year and a moonlight period

Courses Complete: MSF

EXPERIENCE: I learned quite a lot in the less than one year of riding on that r6, the SBN board (about 2 years worth of reading), and my MSF class. I have a passion for motorcycles so I want to know EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM...Crusier to Sport to Touring. I love to learn about the philosphy of riding. So I will say I have A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE about motorcycling in general....and low experience with riding but I've been through a lot on the bike I rode for a short time...

Name: talk

Bikes owned: 1999 Yamaha R6
2005 Suzuki SV650S, current bike..

Other bike ridden: Suzuki 250 Bike, Yamaha R6, and in the parking lot on a GSXR 1K.

MSF graduate
Type of riding done: Dirt, Street, AGGRESSIVE street. Just waiting on track.

Mishaps:
-Escaped Police on a supersport (shame on me....not proud of that)
-Hit by a car on SV; didn't go down.
-Low sided a corner on we pavement. went down.

Wrench ability: Air Filter inspection/Change, Clean and Lube Chain, replacement of lever, pegs, shifters. Slip-on exhaust. Basic things.

Gear knowledge: LEATHER....or TEXTILE. Crashed in my leather. No rash only impact pains

Longest one way distance ridden 162 miles

Track experience: Planning on taking Cornerspeed School March '09

#152 · (Edited)
Rider resume:

Name: smakawhat

Bikes owned: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500r.
2005 Honda CBR F4i, current bike..

Ridden for 3-4 seasons.

Other bike(s) ridden: Honda 250 Nighthawk as per MSF course specifications and testing.

MSF graduate, Took program in Maryland (DC residents have to take MSF in either Maryland or Virgina).

Type of riding done: Everything except dirt and aggresive track riding. Rode in rain a few times highway and street, and night-time.

Mishaps:
None with my first bike
1 drop in my alley backing into my garage on the f4i. Bike was backed over by a vehicle and parked on the street. Hit and run.

Bought 2 bikes, and also switched insurance companies doing some research.

Wrench ability: Done an oil change, what a friggin mess but no problem. Basic winterizing. Bled brakes... what a mess, I dunno if I really like this self maintenance stuff ;)

Gear knowledge: High. Big on riding with all gear, bought varying types, bad and good. Know what to look for, know good sites, continually looking for deals. Trying not to dent the wallet buying 40 kinds of jackets. ;) Massive gear whore.

Longest amount of miles ridden in one day 200 local twisties, 250 up to the beach and back same day.
Longest one way distance ridden only 121 miles each way

Track experience: none yet! still dreaming and waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.