Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 183 Posts

·
Under Your Bed...........
775 Posts
Name: SheWolf

Years Riding: 27

First Street Bike: 1979 Yamaha DT 175

Bikes: Suzuki RM80, RM125, RF600R; Yami DT175, DT200, XT250, RD350, 350 Wolverine WR250R; Kawi KZ400, ZX900; Honda XL250

Certs: M/C endorsement for the province of BC '85, no restrictions.

General: I started off riding dirt bikes at the age of 14, figured out the ergonomics of a few different rides and handling, then once I was old enough to get my MC license I hit the streets. There weren't any MSF courses back then, so I learned from seasoned riders that taught me some very good tips that I still carry through today.

I learned very fast how important it is to watch everything around you while riding, and not to take things for granted. It can all be over in the blink of an eye. I wrote off one smaller bike (the 200) back in '86, when an older lady made a left hand turn in front of me, cutting me off. She didn't see me, and tried to squeeze past the pickup that was ahead of me, and the car behind me, claiming she didn't see me. I ended up t-boning her car, and got drug down the entire length of it because she didn't stop. That cost me eight months on my back. The only other accident I've had was when another older lady made a u-turn in front of me; again, didn't see me and I had no time to react. No signal, no nothing. That was a year later.

I worked at a local motorcycle shop a couple of years after getting my license, building bikes, pulling wrenches, inventoried parts, getting to know many of the area riders and would hit any group rides that were planned, and got into the quad circuit.

I haven't really been without a bike for more than a few months. I find it a very empty feeling without one, and am always looking for people to ride with and go on some good road trips.

In July of 2006 I received a great sportbike bike, the '95 RF600R and tried to get as much time on it as I possibly could. I had been looking at the FZ6 and the R6, but couldn't turn this one down as it was my brothers and I knew he looked after it...and the price was right. I did a few mods to it and personalized it a bit, and got a lot of compliments on it. Not many of these around anymore in this shape. Unfortunately, it didn't fit my riding style and I found that I was missing the trails, so I sold it within 3 days of having it listed.

Oct 2008 I walked out the door with my current ride, a 2009 Yamaha WR250R. I entered back in the world of dual sport, and haven't looked back. I can ride the streets with ease, and just as easily rip off onto trails. It wasn't long though before I had my first incident on this bike. April 18,2009 I was almost killed by someone who tried knocking me off my bike with a loaded bag of garbage as I rode by in the road. So it isn't just motorists you have to watch out for, it's crazy old people or anyone for that matter who have a dislike for motorcycles, PERIOD. And there are a lot of them out there!!

I will help any fellow rider with anything I know is within my limits and knowledge, to hopefully spare them any grief down the road. I still however, have a thing for mud, which unfortunately the sport bike wasn't good in. I find the stuff extremely intoxicating. :D The WR takes to it incredibly well, so it's all good.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Damn this thread got alot b***** than I expected it to when it first came about.

I won't bother to give a hugely detailed description but here's me in few words

handle: Getsome or Getsome122 depending on the site.

Years riding: I think I was about 15 when I first started playing in the dirt.

I am an MSF ridercoach, I ride at least 10k miles a year and 99% of that is in the twisty mountain roads of East Tennessee.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Handle: RRRR6

Year bought first street bike: 1999

Type of bikes owned: first bike was a '98 Honda 900RR, second bike was a '02 Honda 929, third bike was a '03 Yamaha R1, current bike is a '06 Yamaha R6

Certifications/Classes Etc: driver's license, CCS race license, WERA race license, AMA race license, Team Promotion member, NESBA member

Road Experience: I've been a street rider for around 7 years, have had a bike pretty much the entire time. I have ridden many miles commuting in cities, joy riding on backroads and racing on tracks all over the eastern US. I have only had one low side on the street caused by gravel.

Tracks: Beaverun, NHIS, Summit Point Main, Nelson Ledges, Mid-Ohio

·
Registered
29 Posts
Handle:Cbrvato

Year bought first street bike: 1992(3? can't remember)

Type of bikes owned: 06' CBR1000rr, 95 CBR 900rr, 94CBRF3, 93CBR F2, yamaha super cat 250 trials, various dirts down to a 50 cc honda ridden before my first bicycle.

Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF basic and experienced, German/Euro license, and Kansas.

General Experience: Whole family was into bikes, and so I started riding off road at around 8. In the military I had the opportunity to travel to many states, and countries to ride. First rode a street bike in El Paso Texas. Fell in love with the sport, and have ridden street ever since. Always glad to help in anyway I can.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Handle:DonRR Age:41 Years riding street:25 Bikes owned: '72 Honda CB 350,'74 Honda CB 450,'77 Suzuki GS 550,'79Yamaha 750 Special, '83 Kawasaki GPz 1100, '95 Honda CBR 900RR N.C. Motorcycle License Since 1982

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Name: Parabellum

Years Riding: 8

First Street Bike: 2001

Bikes: 2002 Buell Blast, 2003 Yamaha Warrior, 2007 Yamaha FZ6.

Certs: M/C since 2001, no restrictions.

Professional instruction: California Superbike School Level 1 Graduate (2008).

Tracks run: Grattan (michigan), Barber (alabama).

Street Gear: Rocket armored jacket, A* SP2 gauntlets, Bell snell/dot helmet, Setup (sidi) race boots, FS ballistic tex pants with armor.

Track Gear: AGV one piece suit, etc...

Crashes: One 15mph lowside due to gravel, no injuries, hardly any bike damage. Be careful on those blind corners...even 15mph can be too fast if the road is unexpectedly covered in pea gravel. Frame sliders are your best friend (next to proper gear).

Other info:

*Dragon (Rt. 129) Junkie, until they killed it in 2007. RIP Tail of the Dragon.

*I do a lot of my own wrenching, and I try to know as much as possible about the technology and physics of motorcycles.

*Unlike many, did not start out with the MSF. I took about 40 hours of private instruction from a ranked AHRMA racer and tested at the DMV to get my license. It was great for me, since the MSF class here is very hard to get into and I had a licensed road racer with 30 years of experience who volunteered to teach me for free.

*I have had the privelage of assisting the California Superbike School with fully instrumenting a race bike for them (I work in high precision data aquisition). This experience was really enjoyable and I highly recommend this school. I am scheduled for a day of instruction from them this coming August (2008) and plan on doing at least one track day a year with them in an effort to become the best rider I can be.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Handle:dm_gsxr

Year bought first street bike: 1977

Type of bikes owned in order: Yamaha 250 (year unknown), 1977 Honda CB360T, Kawasaki 650 (year unknown), 1976 Honda CB750 (current/project), 2002 Harley-Davidson FLSTC (Softail Classic), 2002 Harley-Davidson FXSTI (Softail Standard), 1995 Suzuki GSXR750W, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa (current/commuting/touring), 2004 Honda Goldwing, 1989 Honda Transalp (current/dual-sport), 2001 Suzuki SV650S (current/track).

Wife owns in order (valid since I work on her bikes): Honda Rebel (year unknown), 2002 Shadow VLX, 2004 Aprilia Atlantic, 2005 Honda Metro, 1997 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (current/touring).

Certifications/Classes Etc: Current license with M endorsement for Colorado. Army post Defensive Driving Class (DDC) in 1977, IronButt SaddleSore in 2004, MSF ERC in 2005, IronButt SaddleSore in 2005, IronButt SaddleSore in 2007.

General Experience: Started riding in 1977 with a friend's help. Dropped the 360 while getting on the Baltimore beltway, no reason why, no injuries and rode the bike home (wife was on the back at the time). Rode the 360 from Ft. Meade Md to Pennsylvania for a gaming convention; longest trip at the time.

Serious injury on the Kawasaki when a truck pulled out without looking and I t-boned him. Spent a week in the hospital. Had I known then what I know now about braking, there's a good chance I wouldn't have hit him.

Stopped riding from 1990 until September of 2001 when I got the Harley. Put 50,000 miles total on the two Harleys touring to Florida on the Classic, up through Boise and Canada on the Standard along with a trip to Oregon, down the California coast, over to Las Vegas and back to Denver.

The wife didn't like riding on the back of either Harley so tried her own run through bikes until she found she liked the Ninja and just bought a new one a couple of months ago. We tried the Goldwing (which I hated and she loved). Since then I've put another 70k or so on the GSXR and the Hayabusa and hit the track on the Hayabusa and the SV650S.

Currently building a chopper from the 1976 Honda CB750. I have a majority of the big stuff done. Now to get the minor stuff gathered and put together.

Mechanical: I do a lot of work on my own on the bike where I have the tools. I haven't changed my own tires yet and hesitate to breach the engine. I've changed bearings, removed the front forks and rear shock, replaced brake lines, added a bunch of electrical stuff including heated grips, headlight modulator, upgraded horn, and a fuse box. I've changed oil many times, changed transmission fluid and changed radiator fluid. I've replaced brake pads and fluid and bled brake lines. I've replaced chains and sprockets. I'm a volunteer garage/tools/hands for the sport touring group I'm a member of. Folks can give me a call and we'll open the garage to travelers to do repairs while on the road (we just did our first one; sprockets and chain on an SV).

Ride report website is over here: Schelin Motorcycle Touring Pages

Carl

·
Registered
69 Posts
handle: pbureau69
age 40

year bought first street bike: 1982

type of bike owned: 1982 suzuki GS 400, 1982 Suzuki GS 650, 250cc Honda Reflex, 2005 Susuzki GS500

Certifications/Classes: (current) MSF Basic (2005), M.C Endorsement State of Texas (2005)

General Experiences: was riding for a few year and encountered a life changing accident (including loss of a friend) and realization that gear DOES save your life.

Stepped away for 10 years, moved to automobile pro-stock 1/4 miles racing for a decade, and stepped back into the saddle 2 years ago.

I dont stunt, I dont race, I ride every day to work (96 miles round trip) rain, shine, heat or cold...over 15K miles a year just to get to work.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Year bought first street bike: 2001

Bikes owned: Various dirt bikes, 1993 Ducati 750SS, 2002 Yamaha R6, 2006 Yamaha R6 (current).

Certifications/Classes Etc: Current M license, MSF graduate, Ed Bargy Race School graduate, current WERA race license.

General Experience: I've ridden dirt since I was 2 years old, and switched to general street riding at the age of 15. At the age of 18 I quit general street riding and began sport riding and doing track days. I am currently preparing for my first season of race comeptition with WERA.

·
Got SOUL!
16 Posts
Handle:bronco

Year bought first street bike: 2003

Type of bikes owned: 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 A, 1994 Harley Davidson Tour Glide (For Sale) and an FZ6 ASAP

Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF New Riders

General Experience: I've been a street rider since 2003. I commute in busy urban traffic, good deal of highway rush hour time, have made several 1500 mile trips, and can offer some good knowledge of spirited cruiser riding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
blue streak
age 22

bikes owned dirt: a fiddy, ttr 125, ttr 225, yz250
street: honda shadow sabre 1100, yamaha r6

current bikes: yamaha ttr225, yamaha r6

riding experiance: 12yrs dirt,, 2 yrs street

extras..small engine mechanic, paint and body experiance:nuts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Handle:pinchy

Year bought first street bike: 2007

Type of bikes owned: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja250

Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF BRC

General Experience: I'm a new street rider that has a lot to learn! :boink

Hi everyone!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Handle: Going Ape Nutz

Year bought first street bike: 2004

Type of bikes owned: 2003 GSXR 600 (for about 3 months), 1989 Honda VTR250

Certifications/Classes Etc: Never had an endorsement (New Mexico). Never attended a MSF course (will be doing so in the spring). Was taught street riding by/and practiced with a rider of 25+ years who had been a safety instructor at one time. Even he makes mistakes, and has since paid for one of them.

General Experience: I grew up around an uncle who wrote for motorcycle magazines covering races in Europe. Rode 25 and 50cc dirtbikes and small atv's/three wheelers as a child. Had a hiatus for about 12 years until I could get back into motorcycles. Used to do the 'riding friends bikes' thing for several years. Was gifted a 03 GSXR 600 when I was 23, which quickly showed me I was not ready for such a bike. I traded it for a 89 honda vtr250, which I owned for 2 years before selling it to attend paramedic school. Never wreaked on a bike, but have first hand experience with the bad side of motorcycles through my 5 years as an EMT.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Name: CrazyBiker

Year bought 1st street bike: 2001

Bikes Owned: TVS Victor, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Certifications: M/C license holder since 1999. MSF BRC (2007).

General Experience: No accidents (knock on wood). Been crazy after 2 wheelers since childhood. Could afford one only in 2001 back in India where traffic is crazy, conjested and with no discipline.

Got introduced to performance riding in USA and discovered renewed passion for bikes and mods. Never wrenched anything before 2004 and learned a whole lot of stuff as you can see through the mods listed in my signature.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Handle:636blurr

Year bought first street bike: 1990

Year first dirt bike: 1976

Type of bikes owned: Honda 50, 1972 yami 360, YZ 400, 1982 virago 750, 2006 ninja 250, 2004 ninja ZX6r
Certifications/Classes Etc: Class A type one CDL with Tanker endorsement.

General Experience: I started riding at six on a dirtbike, have never really stopped, I bought my first street bike in 1990 rode it untell 2003 then sold it, in 2006 I bought the little ninja for gas mileage, needed more power and last april, bought the zx6R. I like to carve on the canyons. And love to drag.
I am a firm believer that the dirt makes a better street rider, and becouse of my dirt history, it has bailed me out of several tight spots on the street. I also believe in staying visible, first by wearing bright colors, and the second learning to ride that way. Each person should do there best to learn there own style, but to take time to listen, read, and learn to expand there knowledge always. Even if its someone riding a cruiser, they probably know something you dont.
I am also now doing trackdays.
Schools: Suspension clinic, Advanced riding clinic.

Edit: 2/4/09 half dozen trackdays down (five or six I forget lol)
Gear, Cortech/tourmaster textile jacket, jean pants, Scarabb RR gloves, & DSX pants, AGV forza 2 two piece leathers, A*stage boots, Sidi vertigo Corsa boots, Teknic Speedstar gloves.
Wrenching ability, anything I want to do but IM burned out from growing up building cars for street racing, rebuilding totals and owning heavy equipment, About all I do is basic maintenance, if I can afford it for anything else, it goes to the shop now.

·
Official Forum Killjoy
3,642 Posts
Well here goes.

Ducman851

45 years old, been riding since I was 4.

Started on a Rupp minibike. First real bike was a Honda Z50. After a plethora of dirtbikes as a kid I snunk out at the age of 15 and bought my first street bike, a 1976 Kawasaki S-3 400 triple 2 stroke. There have been many streetbikes since then including many cool British bikes I wish I still had.

Ive attended both MSF classes, and Numerous trackdays and schools.

I roadrace, ride desert, and street. I do long distance touring events (Think Iron Butt) and have logged 4 SSK1 and 3 BBG1500 rides. I have participated in 1 5 day 5000 mile rally, but what an ass kicker.

I started racing Motocross and Enduros in Minnesota when I was 10. Started Roadracing in the late 80s on a CB750F. Continued with club stuff untill I got involved with AHRMA in 1999. In 2000 I did a full season and won a National #1 in Battle of the Twins on a Laverda and finished 3rd in the BOT F3 class.

As of late the current stable of bikes includes:

1963 Honda CA77 Dream 305
1974 Honda Trail 70
1984 Honda ATC200X
1985 LT250R Quad
1990 Ducati 851 Superbike
1993 Ducati 888 SPO
1995 Ducati 916
2000 Ducat 748
2001 Ducati M900
2002/3 M800 <-- current trackbike
1988 Harley FXRS Lowrider

Ive been here on SBN since the early days, 1998 IIRC. Signed on staff in 1999. Havent looked back since.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Name:metalrat

First bike: 196? Honda trail CT90. Explore the woods and pick your way down a trail.
First street bike 1977: Honda 305 Scrambler 1967. Only had the bike for about 6 months. Mom found my "stash" and took the bike.:bitchslap

Had a 28 year drought of street bikes. Occasional loaner bike. Not much else.

Current bikes: Yamaha FZ6 2006. Suzuki DR200SE 2001. Yamaha TTR125.

MSF class in California 1977. CA endorsment.
MSF class in Alaska 2006. AK endorsment.

General experience: A dozen or so different dirt bikes growing up and as an adult. I have aprox 10k miles on the street and put in about 5k a year more.
Group rides, around town and twisties. We have a short season up here so I have been experimenting with screws/studded tires on the DR200SE.

·
Thats how I roll
534 Posts
Name:Brandon

Year bought first street bike: 2001

Previous bikes owned: 1990 ZX7, 2002 R6, 2003 Yamaha R1
Current bikes owned: 2009 Yamaha R1, 1996 Ninja 500, and a
1984 Honda ATC 70
Certifications/Classes Etc: MSF BRC, ERC, MSRC RiderCoack
Track days: 2

General Experience: To start off this thing I'll explain how long I've been around this sort of thing. When I was 3 yes 3 my parents bought me a 84 Honda ATC 70 3 wheeler that I still own, they also bought two 4 wheelers that I rode until I was 12 when I got my first dirt bike Yamaha RT 180. I rode that for a couple of years and then bought a YZ 250. Had the 250 until I turned 18 and joined the Navy. Shortly after boot camp I bought the ZX7 and haven't looked back. In 2007 I started doing track days and am HOOKED. I'm also an MSF RiderCoach.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
OK, here goes. 48, been riding continuously on the street since about 1997. I forget the exact date. It may have been 1998. Rode for a number of years in the dirt as a kid, but got sidetracked. I probably have about 100K miles in on the road, although I have been tapering off on road riding lately. Took up racing this season after riding various bikes on the track since 2002. Took the MSF class a long time ago, and the ERC long enough ago I should take it again for an attitude adjustment. I think I have ridden more than different bikes and have owned seven since 1997 or 1998. Two of those were Triumph TT600s. I loved them. Go figure. Riding as much as I have and riding on the track means I know from first hand experience crashing sucks and gear works.

121 - 140 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.