Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve looked at the luggage thread but need a quick response as I`d like to order the JR bags tomorrow.Anybody have a quick review on `em? Capacity, weatherproof,how are they with exhaust heat too, and,can you mount them with the straps under the seat? Thanks, Glenn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Sorry it's a little late but I just got back from a business trip. I have the bags and the capacity is quite ample. Not the biggest but they are expandable (more than enough room IMO). No problem with the exhaust heat, but I've found it a little difficult with putting the straps under the seat, not impossible but difficult. They come so close to the latch that it's hard to get the seat back down. With FZ6's FE kit I can now mount them further back so the rear strap goes above the rear tail and not under the seat. As for weatherproofing, since they are expandable the "weather covers" are made a bit big. I took a trip without expanding them and it rained so I put the covers on and they flapped in the wind so much that they are tattered and torn now. But that's easily solved by packing everything in plastic bags (as I did any ways, but wanted to keep the bags dry). I beleive that they are supposed to be fairly weatherproof on their own and the covers are just to keep the bags dry. I've not tested this. All in all I'm very happy with them. They look sharp on the bike and you can ride 2up with them on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
How did you set them up to ride 2 up?

As for the bags, I've loved my pair, just last night I packed a lot of items and my bungie cord broke causing my school bag, along with some cooking ingredients to get caught in the rear wheel :2eek ..... over the top I went, so now I'm trying to figure out the price of the front plastic piece :a2 .... sorry a little off topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Well with my FE kit I can put them back further and the back strap goes on the metal piece above the tail light. Pleanty of foot room for a passanger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Ouch

redhawkphi said:
How did you set them up to ride 2 up?

As for the bags, I've loved my pair, just last night I packed a lot of items and my bungie cord broke causing my school bag, along with some cooking ingredients to get caught in the rear wheel :2eek ..... over the top I went, so now I'm trying to figure out the price of the front plastic piece :a2 .... sorry a little off topic.
Ouch! Hope you're okay, man.

I've had some things fall off the bike before, but luckily nothing ever got caught in the rear wheel. My dad once had a gallon of milk fall off the back of his gold wing's luggage rack when the bungee let go. Yes, it exploded on the road....

DANGER, long story....

One time I was riding 300 miles across Pennsylvania late at night on my old Katana 750. I kept paranoidily reaching back and checking my straps / bungees. I guess that I checked too many times, because one of them came loose as I was coming through a construction zone. I kept going, trying to hold onto a gym bag and ride at the same time, but the gym bag started to slide off. As soon as I got out of construction, the bag slid off. So, it's about 2am, on a dark highway somewhere in PA, and I have a gym bag (with my 35mm camera inside) lying somewhere on the highway. I pull over, hop off and quickly pop the seat and grab the mini-maglight that I carry with me. I shine it on the road, and the bag is in the absolute middle of the single lane that just exited construction.... Of course, as soon as I see the bag, here comes a vehicle. Not just any vehicle, but a honest to goodness greyhound bus. "Flap-floop" is the sound that I hear as the bus goes over my gym bag. No more cars coming, so I grab the bag and return to the side of the road. Amazingly enought, the bus was high enough to just graze the bag, and my camera and everything else was fine. :) I carefully restrapped everything, and didn't touch a stupid bungee until I rode the next 45 miles to the end of my trip. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
shit, now that is lucky...... I just think I've learned my lesson about trusting bungie cords. Afterall, there is a reason they make those bungie nets that have 6 o 8 connector points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I have stuffed a small bag in the windshield, dash area and strapped a leather jacket to the rear seat with a bungie once. I use a backpack to keep the odds and ends together most of the time but lately I have been looking at the coretec saddle bags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
lbjester said:
Sorry it's a little late but I just got back from a business trip. I have the bags and the capacity is quite ample. Not the biggest but they are expandable (more than enough room IMO). No problem with the exhaust heat, but I've found it a little difficult with putting the straps under the seat, not impossible but difficult. They come so close to the latch that it's hard to get the seat back down. With FZ6's FE kit I can now mount them further back so the rear strap goes above the rear tail and not under the seat. As for weatherproofing, since they are expandable the "weather covers" are made a bit big. I took a trip without expanding them and it rained so I put the covers on and they flapped in the wind so much that they are tattered and torn now. But that's easily solved by packing everything in plastic bags (as I did any ways, but wanted to keep the bags dry). I beleive that they are supposed to be fairly weatherproof on their own and the covers are just to keep the bags dry. I've not tested this. All in all I'm very happy with them. They look sharp on the bike and you can ride 2up with them on.
I was trying to pick a set of saddlebags, was wondering if you could get some pics up of what the JRs look like on yours? Anyone else with pics with their bags on if they don't mind either AIMing them to me(Same as my forum name) or posting them would be greatly appreciated. I kinda like the ones direct from Yamaha but they look a bit small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Hagrunimar said:
I was trying to pick a set of saddlebags, was wondering if you could get some pics up of what the JRs look like on yours? Anyone else with pics with their bags on if they don't mind either AIMing them to me(Same as my forum name) or posting them would be greatly appreciated. I kinda like the ones direct from Yamaha but they look a bit small.
Some already posted Here

and here
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top