Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Ihave never used one but ive heard bad stuff about them. For the money there are better choices. But any leather is better than no leather.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
^^^^

I disagree with the above statement.

Joe Rocket, as far as I can tell, makes rather quality gear. The only problem with JR is that they are a more "mass produced" line of clothing...so of course, there are more people with them. When there are alot of people with them, there are gonna be more people with problems. Those people voice their opinion, and voice it loudly.

Here's an example. Let's just say that for every 10 leather jackets that Vanson sells, Joe Rocket sells 100. That's a 10 to 1 ratio.

Now, if 1 person has a problem with the Vanson, and 10 people have problems with the Joe Rocket, they are still having the same percentage of issues...BUT, you have MORE people with issues with the JR stuff, so there's a greater chance that you'll hear about it.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I've had a JoeRocket HighSide 2-piece for over two years now and I rather enjoy the product. Comfortable, well-fitting, no problems with stitching, etc. I'd buy another JoeRocket suit if I needed another product. I give them a +1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Blaster jacket and I think the quality is pretty good. It fits well and has pretty good ventilation. I didn't find a better jacket for the price.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I owned a JR Sonic jacket and it did everything I needed it too. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not sure about their leather stuff but I think the textile jackets they make are of a lower quality. I know my Alpinestars jacket has hard plastic, CE approved armor whereas the joerocket jackets have foam armor.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I own the Alter Ego jacket and I have no complaints, never had the ultimate test of it, and hope I won't.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
There are few reasons why people wear JR, as I see it:

1) It's cheap
2) It's all the local shop carries
3) They like having "ROCKET" on their jacket
4) Saw their favorite AMA racer wearing it

None of these really do much for me, but it's up to you. I agree with the other guy, any gear is FAR better than no gear. Though, I've certainly never heard anyone say "Man I heard JR's quality and protection is unreal, I'll look into that next time."

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I was unimpressed with my Sonic. The armor was just foam. Better than nothing, but it was hard to go from a Dainese to a JR.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Joe Rocket Makes Many Jackets

Some of them have just foam padding; some of the have dual density; some of them have GP style . . .

I've had the previous style Hard Drive jacket for the last 3 years/28,000 miles. It's held up well and is very versatile. It has not been crash tested, per se. When I was learning how to ride I had a sort of 2 mph high side, and the first thing I knew I was on the pavement, watching my Monster bounce and slide away from me. I didn't feel the landing and there were no marks on the jacket. I'd get another, and I may, because Newenough has a great close out on the new style High Side.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
FYI HighSide is the discontinued style. GPX is the replacement. But, you're right, newenough.com has some excellent prices on the HighSide suits.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Comparatively Joe Rocket gear is pretty cheap. As in cheaply priced and cheaply made. But, it's better than nothing and if it's all you can afford don't think twice about it.

Personally, if I never own another piece of Joe Rocket gear I won't mind. But until I can afford the nice Sidi's I want I'll be stuck in a pair of JR boots... which already have cracks in the leather after only a couple months of use.

I also have a pair of Joe Rocket Highside (?) gloves that were just replaced with a pair of Held's... the leather they used on the JR's has go to be of the lowest grade possible, not only do the look and feel like shit, they smell like shit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a JR Blaster and it is great. I have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've got a joe rocket phoenix 3.0 and it's great at ventilation, but I doubt it'll protect as well as leather. I don't see a real problem with Joe Rocket, I do have a set of Spidi Leathers and a Spidi jacket and those are definitely nicer. But JR will still get teh job done.

·
Registered
452 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
The group I ride with wear these jackets and I was thinking of investing in one,

They look like they have descent armor, but will it protect me if I go down? Thanks for the input
I haven't checked out all their jackets, but I don't think any of them have anything better than "double-density armor", which is nothing more than foam.

Any jacket I'd get would at least have to have CE-approved armor.

·
Registered
400 Posts
sjlee said:
I haven't checked out all their jackets, but I don't think any of them have anything better than "double-density armor", which is nothing more than foam.

Any jacket I'd get would at least have to have CE-approved armor.
Not all Rocket jackets have dual density armor. Personally, if you are only riding street or touring, you don't need anything more than dual density armor. All jacket companies offer it, Rocket, Vanson, Teknic, etc.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
I've been down in my Sonic Jacket...held up well after a 50 ft slide. only minor scratches no tears.

I've also got a JR Speedmaster no complaints about JR leathers from me....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Rotty said:
Not all Rocket jackets have dual density armor. Personally, if you are only riding street or touring, you don't need anything more than dual density armor. All jacket companies offer it, Rocket, Vanson, Teknic, etc.
Not all companies offer dual density armor... like Fieldsheer.

In any case, I agree that dual density armor is probably fine for street riding, but there are jackets available for comparable prices with CE armor, so I'd opt for more protection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts