Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after installing my new pipe, my bike is running lean. Can anyone reccomend a good jet kit and is there a faq/walkthrough anywhere in regards to installation? I've heard removing some effissions stuff is required when installing a jet kit....

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
I have the Factory Stage I jet kit installed on my Ninja.

Install? Nah, not me bro. I had the stealership do it.

Stone

·
Registered
475 Posts
For jet kits, you've got about three choices: K&N, DynoJet, or Factory Pro. Most people recommend Factory Pro as there isn't a need to plug air jets or drill the slides.

Still going through the process myself, I can say that it's not about getting a 'good' jet kit, but simply (heh, or not so simply in my case) jetting it correctly with the right combination of main jet size, pilot jet size, needle height, float level and mixture screw settings.

The Factory Pro stage 1 kit costs about $129 at most places, and all it comes with is longer slide springs, new emulsion tubes, two sets of main jets (one size larger and one size smaller than stock) and needle shims. The instruction sheet that comes with it basically tells you to use all your stock parts, and only make changes as required. It also claims 0 HP gains.

If you're looking to do the work yourself so you can learn, be prepared to tear into the carbs at least a few times to get them right. With the exception of the emulsion tubes, you could buy the main jets and shims for alot less than the jet kit, but you'd need to know pretty well what sizes you need. If you turned out to be wrong, then you're stuck buying another set. And unless you've got access to a dyno, it's going to take several tries to get it all right.

If you know of a respectable shop or are friendly with your local dealer, you could just pay them a fee and not have to worry about it. Plus then you can take it back to them when it's not right the first time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recommend the factory. It has a couple of more options than the dynojet. It's fairly straight forward to install and if you know how to use a your tools, then you should be good. Like Tiamat said . . . it's making sure that everything is setup properly that may give you trouble. Although, if all you have is a pipe then, it shouldn't be that difficult . . . you're just trying to "unlean" the bike for now. It's when you get into deeper mods that you'll find yourself tuning for days. If you're not into fixing sh*t then take it to a shop. If you plan on doing more work to the bike, you might want to try this job. At the very least, if you can't get it tuned, you can always take it to the shop after it's installed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
legend_7r said:
I went ahead and had the shop put in the stage one dynojet in mine. I'ts done great for me , great throttle response.
what did that end up costing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Factory pro for sure, and go ahead let a shop thro it in, who cares, as long as the bike runs good i wouldn't worry about who made it run sooooo good...as long as you are the one taking it out....(as in riding)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Considering that the kit alone will cost you $100, that's $200 for installation and tuning, which hopefully includes a dyno run. Not terrible, but more than I'd want to pay. What I don't understand is why they insist on charging for a 'kit' when all they need to charge for is new jets and maybe some 0.5mm shims (which would be like a dime at a hardware store).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have my jet kit already, and the shop still wants $275 to install and tune. WTF!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts