Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting a slip-on, so i'm gonna need a jet kit to get the power right. just wondering, if i get a full exhaust in the future, can the jet kit be re-adjusted for the new exhaust? or is it a one time deal only, and i'll have to re-jet for the new full exhaust by getting a new jet kit? obviously, i'm a n00b to re-jetting and such, so i won't be doing the re-jetting myself :p

·
Registered
648 Posts
likely you would need new jets for the full system over the slip on to get the max benefit of the full system. just did a ivans full system kit and full muzzys exhaust. it was a royal pain in the butt but it's like a new bike now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe Average said:
likely you would need new jets for the full system over the slip on to get the max benefit of the full system. just did a ivans full system kit and full muzzys exhaust. it was a royal pain in the butt but it's like a new bike now.
damn, so if i got a jet kit for the slip on now, and got a full exhaust later, i'd need to get another jet kit, instead of re-using the old one (if that's possible?)? that sucks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look, I was a total noob until about a week ago. I never worked on a bike in my life. I did my research, asked a lot of questions online (even found great instructions for jetting my bike with pictures and everything), and then I did it myself. Maybe I can save you some time.
First, get the full exhaust (check ebay), save up if ya gotta. Buy it right, buy it once. Installing the full exhaust is simple.
Second, jetting the carbs seems like a bitch, until you do it, then it isn't so bad. Find a forum for your specific bike make/model, and I'm sure there is a how-to section, and/or links. If you still don't think you can do it yourself, then get someone to do it for you. Dealers are a ripoff for this sort of thing. Chances are, someone you know works on bikes, or he/she knows someone else who works on bikes.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
The TRUTH

Buy a Factory brand jet kit and you wont need to worry about it. Actually you dont need a jet kit for a slip on anyways no matter what anyone tells you. The most work a carb using bike with a slip on is the idle circuit. And if you really want power, get the full system, dont install it and wait to get the jet kit. Slip ons only add peak power and dont get rid of stumbles in most cases. Better to spend $600 on a system then $400 on a muffler. If you need more help let me know

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
So when you have a problem with your dyno jet kit like their main jet #144 is to rich but the #140 is too lean Then what? If you use the factory brand jet kit and you put in the #165 keihin style jet for your keihin carb and it doesnt work out but your out of range from the jet kit, chances are that someone will have the jets you need. Not to mention what does the Dyno Jet 144 mean? I do this for a living and I still hate their metering system. I know that the factory 165 is the same as the keihin 165 so I have a better understanding of whats going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts