Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a new bike, I came across some Hondas that really sparked my interest, at first I started looking at some cbr400rr but in the back of my head I still felt like it was too close to a 600 super sport to really teach me proper technique, and relearn any bad habits I picked up on the zx7. So currently I am looking at getting a 250rr, from either Australia or Japan, I would prefer aus though just because of the language barrier when looking to buy and then import it back to Canada.

So do any of you have experience with these baby super sports? One thing appealing to me is the 350 lb wet weight of the 250rr, which is about 100lbs lighter than my ninja was, plus the 6 speed sounds nice as I assume it wouldnt strain itself as much as a 250 single or twin on longer highway trips, enough rambling from me though, what do you think of the 250rr as a bike for someone who has ridden for a season, but on a bike that was too big for them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I would imagine importing a bike would be too costly to be worth it. Maybe you should wait for the ktm 390 to be available in the states and get one of those. Or just grab a used 500 and ride it for a season, sell it for what you paid, then get whatever bike you want

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Do some research on the CBR250RR... it's definitely not going to be less high-strung than a Ninja 250 on the freeway. It will likely have way more grunt at freeway speeds, but that thing cruise at 10,000 rpm.

That said, I want one. Badly.

There used to be a place in Canada that imported those things for people. I don't remember what it was called, but I think it was in Toronto. You might look there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am moving to the NWT so my "highway" speeds are going to be around 100kph max around the city it is 70 and 35 everywhere, I would be doing all the importing myself so that's a non issue, I am just more curious about the riding experience of these bikes, as in is it a sheep in wolfs clothing that will behave similarly to modern 250s (besides the 19 000rpm redline) or is it just another super sport that will be hard to learn proper technique on? I should add that for me this is going to be one of those keep forever bikes and not a learn and dump like a lot of people do with their 250s

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Having owned an early 90's CBR (F2)... I'd say it would be an awesome bike. My old Honda was very forgiving and flexible for a 600. I rode it on the track a few times, and although the suspension and brakes were obviously not the latest-and-greatest, it was fun. More than once I found myself shoving it into a corner too fast, or getting off the throttle abruptly in a 6th-gear corner... and all it did was start wiggling around sideways. It was definitely a bike that you could get all out of shape on before it put you on your head.

I'd expect most old Honda chassis had some similarities, so I'd think the 250 or 400 would be an absolute riot.

If you're going to keep it forever, maybe look into getting an RVF400. I think the long-term investing value would be better on one of those. A V-4 with gear driven cams, inverted forks, and a single sided swingarm. I can't think of a much cooler bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like that rvf 400, and the other 400ss bikes, but I am pretty content on the 250s for now, I'm a smaller person so that 350lb wet makes a huge difference, I've also been looking at zxr250s as I loved the way my zx7 looked, I just wasn't a big fan of the weight and power it had.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
That importer is going on the shortlist. I've seen others in onterrible for bringing in bikes, but those prices are pretty good.

4 grand for an MC22?! Yes ma'am, take my fucking money right NOW.

I'd happily pay that for a CBR250rr in the future. Hell, I'd happily add a grand or two for an RVF400.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That importer is going on the shortlist. I've seen others in onterrible for bringing in bikes, but those prices are pretty good.

4 grand for an MC22?! Yes ma'am, take my fucking money right NOW.

I'd happily pay that for a CBR250rr in the future. Hell, I'd happily add a grand or two for an RVF400.
I agree. I'm half considering buying one and trucking it over here... and then just throwing the plate from an F2 or something on it and riding it around. What I really want is a 2-smoker, though.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Not legal for you guys or what?

edit: Oh yeah, it's 25 years for you guys.

15 for us. :d

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out of the CBr, fzr, zxr, or gsxr 250ss bikes which one will be the best for parts and reliability, realistically I will only have about a month each year to ride so I don't want to waste it fixing a bike (although I do enjoy wrenching as well)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the Honda was the most popular.

However, it also revved 3-5,000 rpm higher. That kinda difference makes for quicker bottom end rebuilds. No doubt about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts