Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a newbie mistake and bought the Icon Timax Jacket. It is really lacking in the protection dept even with its titanium etc. Can u guys suggest a good protective jacket for hot weather? Is there a particular type of armour that is better (CE etc)? Style is not important, I would rather look bad alive than look good in my casket. :cheers

:newbie

PS. considering the JR Rasp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Well at $214. your weren't a cheapbastard! Buy a second and you definitely won't be! Or spend the 2nd jacket idea on a Luggagelocker tail trunk. J/K :lol
Seriously, I just purchased a JR Atomic 2 (for $146.) which is summer weight(w/zip out vest liner) and has a good working vent system. Good styling imo too.
Of course the NW doesn't get as hot as the rest of the country, so I really don't really know how 'cool' it is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
You want CE armor. If it's protection you're concerned with I wouldn't pick the jacket based on weather; mesh is garbage compared to leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
nig said:
You want CE armor. If it's protection you're concerned with I wouldn't pick the jacket based on weather; mesh is garbage compared to leather.
I partially agree...you definitely want the CE armor. As far as the mesh vs leather, that's gonna be a personal choice. There are numerous threads throughout this site on this debate.The leather is thicker and more durable and will hold up better. The mesh feels so much better here in the south, though. I opted for the JR Super Ego....it's a all leather that can have a part of the leather removed to reveal the mesh part in the sleeves, chest and back. The shoulders remain leather. It cost around $300, but it's a great summer and winter jacket. I'm sure you could sell yours easily and get something else. I'd definitely recommend trying a jacket on somewhere and even sitting on a bike or your bike to see how it's gonna feel in real world situations.

Weren't you waiting on a new ride to come in any day? What'd you end up getting? I'm just across the bridge from ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oilburner said:
I partially agree...you definitely want the CE armor. As far as the mesh vs leather, that's gonna be a personal choice. There are numerous threads throughout this site on this debate.The leather is thicker and more durable and will hold up better. The mesh feels so much better here in the south, though. I opted for the JR Super Ego....it's a all leather that can have a part of the leather removed to reveal the mesh part in the sleeves, chest and back. The shoulders remain leather. It cost around $300, but it's a great summer and winter jacket. I'm sure you could sell yours easily and get something else. I'd definitely recommend trying a jacket on somewhere and even sitting on a bike or your bike to see how it's gonna feel in real world situations. .
Thanks for the good info guys! :cheers

Oilburner said:
Weren't you waiting on a new ride to come in any day? What'd you end up getting? I'm just across the bridge from ya.
Yes, I picked up the blue FZ6 a couple of weeks ago @ Coast Cycle World and have been smiling ever since. I plan on returning the Timax. I will look in to the Super Ego, thanks! You and another guy @ Keesler are the only two that I know of with the FZ6 around here. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
I just bought the JR Meteor 4.0. I have Dainese Leather jacket, but was looking for something vented and water resistant. The Meteor 4.0 can be had for $99 now, as it is officially a closeout item now. It has a zip out liner, which makes it all season, vents in the arms and back, double flaps at the zippers that keep water out. It also has elbow, shoulder, and back protection. (the armor isn't "the best", especially the back armor, but it is just as good as my dainese which only has elbow and shoulder armor.)

Honestly, besides finding a used jacket for an awesome price, the Meteor 4.0 for $99 is the best deal out there. IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Leather and Humid South just don't mix. For hot weather, I wear the JR Phoenix Mesh. It's got the armor where it needs it. Mesh isn't designed like leather to be worn over and over again after slides, it's more like a helmet, good for one go.

Congrats on the FZ6 purchase, I got mine from the same shop a couple months ago, but I got the faster silver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
I got the JR Meteor 4.0 for 85 with shipping. Havent had much chance to wear it but I like it when I have worn it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Eh, I'm further south than all of you and I wear leather for pleasure rides. For commuting the textile garments are more convenient admittedly. Your skin...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
The mesh is good so long as you understand it's a one trick pony if you wipe out- plan on getting another set. Perf leather would probably be better...either way you'll roast. Hell, I run around in my 'stich in the FL heat/humidty...guess I'm used to it. :D
 

·
On The Job
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
I got a Vanson mesh recently. Don't know how much protection it offers but its as cool as just wearing a t-shirt. To each his own I guess.
 

·
ZRO BLNG
Joined
·
1,839 Posts
I have a Icon Team Merc jacket. It's damn hot here in Hawaii. I am planning to purchase a perforated leather jacket but I'm already sweating up a storm with the mesh. Then again better sweat than blood.
 

·
Squidtastical
Joined
·
349 Posts
You can get the Firstgear MeshTex2 jacket and then buy CE armor for it from firstgear. Most of the mesh jackets dont have the CE armor, just EVA foam. Down here in TX, (over 100 for the past month) leather = :devil
 

·
Respect My Authority!
Joined
·
574 Posts
The most protection for the money will be leather or kevlar. For warmer temps and a budget I went for the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. I realize that it is a one fall use item and that it is not intended for a track day and I use it accordingly. It is a 4 season jacket here in New Orleans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,413 Posts
I am in South Florida and I have the JR Phoneix jacket. Served me well for almost 2 years.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top