·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 hard choices..

Katana 600

Ninja 500R

GS500F

I live in NYC..and I dont plan to do much driving within the city limits..mostly Upstate as I have a house up there..I'll be storing it in the city though during winter in a closed garage..

Im going to be buying a brand spanking new one..well I guess a 2004..sometime early fall...just paying off some credit card bills before I take the plunge...without those debts I will have more funds that I can allocate to repairing my bike as I drop it..slide it..bump it....etc etc..

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well my opinion on it would be the GS500F because it is damn sexy and very comfortable. I think between those three bikes, go sit on them and see which one fits you best and as people begin to register you'll hear go take the MSF course closest to you which is a great idea, I can't take it for a little while but I suggest it to you. Good luck with your choice, and keep us informed.:)

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
I was looking at a dealear today the gs500 looks pretty good with that gsxr headlight style going on. nice looking bike IMO

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
GS500F...dunno why, I've heard it's better than the Ninja and it's pretty comfortable for a newbie.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That GS500F is a sweet looking bike imo!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Interceptor said:
I live in NYC..and I dont plan to do much driving within the city limits..mostly Upstate as I have a house up there..I'll be storing it in the city though during winter in a closed garage..
:confused: :confused: Why the hell would you do that...house don't have a garage?

BTW, pick between the EX and the GS.....leave out the Kat....

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can't go wrong with either the Ninja or GS 500, both are great bikes. The GS does look pretty good with its new styling...

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I LOVE the styling on that GS. I wonder how the performance is. I'm into function over form...and compared to the Ninja 500: the GS has a smaller motor, and is air cooled (vs the Ninja's water cooled setup)...it weighs more than the Ninja, and is slightly more expensive..... But still....it's almost worth sacrificing those little extras for the looks alone. It's a d*mn sexy little bike. My local dealership JUST got them in.....and honestly...I probably would have bought the GS instead if they had it at the time, just due to cosmetics. I wasn't looking at specs when I purchased...I just wanted a decently quick gas saver...and the Ninja was basically my only choice.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would go with the gs or the ex500, but I would go with a used bike if it is your first as the chances of you dropping it are not in your favor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldnt mind buying a used bike if a dealer let you finanace it.. I also dont know much about bikes or know anyone who has good knowledge in assessing the state of a bike..

And if it was used I would buy something between a 2001-2003.. From some of the prices Ive seen the difference between those and a brand new bike are only 2k or so difference..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News just did a comparison test of the GS500 and the EX500 this month. Might want to check it out.

The EX500 TROUNCED the GS500. Beat it in every category except braking and styling. Almost 12 horsepower more than the GS500 :)

Costs less to maintain, too - GS500 valve adjustment intervals are set at every 3500 miles, while the EX500 valve adjustment intervals are set at every 12,000 miles. You do the math.

Sure the GS looks better, but beauty is often only skin deep.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Might try their website - can't look at that article online yet, but maybe in a few weeks. I haven't seen it on the newsstand. A friend clued me into this mag and I got a subscription. Good reading, no advertising.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ca$h said:
Well my opinion on it would be the GS500F because it is damn sexy and very comfortable.
i also liked the GS500F -- sexy as hell, and not too powerful.

if i wasnt so heart-set on a Honda Hawk as my first bike, i'd get the GS500f.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts