Sport Bikes banner

I've had my FZ6 for ten years!

10K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  jrevans 
#1 ·
After reading a similar posting on another forum, I realized that I've owned my faster silver 2004 FZ6 for ten years now!

I had a CBR600F4 at the time and was doing a lot of track days, but riding on the street was a pain, literally, as my forearms would hurt after only twenty minutes of riding. I had test ridden an FZ1 at the dealership, but hated how it handled. When I heard the FZ6 announced, I eagerly awaited this new model to show up at my dealership. The didn't really offer test rides, but made an exception for me since I intended to buy it.

Well, I took a test ride and bought it.

I've made lots of mods to the bike, and the only two things that bother me are the crappy LCD tachometer, and the horribly loud wind blast from the windscreen. (Yes, I've tried three different windscreens....)

I prioritize my young family so I don't get to ride too much, but I still at least try to commute on the bike.

To help celebrate, I just picked up a used Ohlins to put on the rear. Actually, I didn't think of the ten year thing when I bought it, but that's now my justification.... :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats on the 10 year anniversary!

#5 ·
I still have a ways to go, bought mine in April '05, but holy sh*t, until I saw this I didn't realize it had been that long. Best bike I've ever owned, but like the OP, am riding it less b/c of the risk. It would take two hands to count the number of close calls I've had where a split second or a few inches were all that separated me from an impact, all while commuting. So I don't commute on it anymore but still manage to get out for weekend joy rides now and then.

Reactions: PCHbreeze
#6 ·
Risk

I still have a ways to go, bought mine in April '05, but holy sh*t, until I saw this I didn't realize it had been that long.
Me too! It's a great bike and still feels newish to me, so I was surprised when I realized that it had been ten years!

Best bike I've ever owned, but like the OP, am riding it less b/c of the risk.
I guess that I phrased it badly, as it's not really risk that I'm avoiding. It's simply that I have no time to take rides, and would rather enjoy spending time with my family than sneaking out for a ride. We have no family close by to watch the kids for us, so we pretty much never get out by ourselves as a couple, but we do let each other get our individually once and a while.

It would take two hands to count the number of close calls I've had where a split second or a few inches were all that separated me from an impact, all while commuting. So I don't commute on it anymore but still manage to get out for weekend joy rides now and then.
I have a mere four mile commute over some country roads, so my commute risk is a bit lower than those who travel the congested byways. Sometimes, my commute "accidentally" involves 25 miles or so of back roads on the way home! ;)

#8 ·
time flies . . .

Hey congrats to all you guys ! I'm on year number 8 with my '06 and still love it like it was brand new. Have drooled over several other rides, but can't beat the price and fun the old FZ brings to the table. Not saying I wouldn't jump on the new Honda Interceptor if I had $15,000 to burn ; - )
Here's to at least another 10 for all !

#9 ·
I didn't have mine long but I easily put 35,000 miles of happiness on my 06 bought in 06, and that's despite probably over 45k miles caging during the same period. I can think of no other bike I've owned that really delivered all round happiness, other than my current S1000RR. And to think, I barely even learned how to ride an I4 engine back then. The insurance company made me cough mine up during my second claim because it was being salvaged out, but I did try to keep her under a salvage title.

Once I got the M4 exhausts on it, I was set (I heard many other brands, none impressed me).

Congrats to you guys who still have yours. No other bike has a spot in my heart like the fastest blue FZ6.

#10 ·
Long time no post for me... I got my bike out today and just thought that my bike turned 10 back in march. Probably the only vehicle I'll ever buy new, but its been well worth it. There's not too many of us original 04 owners out there. We paved the way for the aftermarket goodies... fazr6's fender eliminator or the guy who did the original led tail kit. Im pretty sure I made the 1st cat eliminator pipe... anyways its been a long time... and a great bike.

#11 ·
My girlfriend's 08 FZ6 has 26,000 miles on it now, and it still hasn't needed a valve adjustment. Stone reliable, sounds great with the MIVV carbon fiber cans, pilot road IIIs fitted, even the stock chain is still within spec. If I could pry her off of it and get her to ride my Street Triple, I'd be riding that thing all day. It's an extremely underrated bike.

#13 ·
Thanks for the thread, prompted me to go look. 8 for me, though I don't ride the lovely near as much as I'd like due to lifestyle changes. Won't be giving it up any time soon due to the looney tune cagers all around me. The sport bike has some giddy up to get out the way.

#14 ·
Jim, you've got a great bike with a lot of excellent mods. Let me know how the Ohlins work out for you, I'm sure with that set of R6 forks it's a vast improvement. The stock shock is just harsh no matter what, a rebuild has settled mine a bit, but an Ohlins or Penske is next.

Only had my '04 Fastest Silver about 6 years now after a string of others, holding out for an FZ-09 next as soon as the wife isn't looking.

Take care, see you soon.

#15 ·
Old FZ6

I took a test ride on an FZ-09 last fall at Blackmans and it was impressive. The riding position felt a bit odd compared to the FZ6 (up higher, closer to the front) but the bike felt awesome. I'd sure like a bit of a fairing on it though.

I haven't installed the Ohlins yet, as I need to replace my rear wheel due to an "incident" I had a few weeks ago. I finally picked up a replacement wheel last weekend, so now I need to find the time to take everything apart, get the Ohlins installed and swap my tire to the new wheel.

Take care yourself!

#16 ·
I'm toying with getting a 600rr. Nothing wrong with my Fazer but I rode a 600rr for the first time a couple of weekends ago. My FZ6 is more comfortable but the rr is around 400 Lbs wet. Even after riding for 20 minutes, I balanced better at the stop sign. Silly, but it means a lot to me. I can walk my Fazer but I have to put a foot down within seconds of stopping. If my bike is in balance and I'm in balance I should be able to pull up at a stop sign, stop, look both ways, then decide if I'm going to go or put a foot down.
I started looking for an '07, since that and the '08 were the lightest years.
I will get a LSL handlebare conversion kit for it. $499 Includes SS brake lines, new cables but no bar ends. The steering damper will still work and it will lift the grips up about 2" (50mm) and back about the same. I'm scouting for rearsets. So far all I have found raise the pegs. I want to lower them just a tad. My road ripping days are over. So I don't drag the pegs often enough to put up with frozen (locked up) knees.
My Fazer runs like a bitch in heat and I think she's pruuty but if I can find a good enough deal on the Honda, I'll swoop. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking "your fooking up by the numbers you old fool." So I may come to my senses before I find what I'm looking for. If I can't find a suitable deal by next week, I'm gonna go ahead and put my baby in the dealership for a valve check and order a sport tech kit. .90 springs and all the other little bits. I will enjoy doing that myself and got some other things I need to do while I got the boingers off.
The bearing have a rep so I might just replace them. It only takes a little bit more time and then I won't have to worry about it next year, or the year after.

#18 ·
2old, no sarcasm intended but you'd be better off joining a gym and working out your legs. On a lazy morning, even my healthier and younger ass struggles a bit with my bike so I don't think a 600rr will be a fix for you.

My fz6 took a lot of abuse and always came out performing like new. I even wanted to keep it after the insurance salvaged it but I had to fight so much to get a decent salvage value that I have it up as a compromise. Long live the fz6s!

#19 ·
I do work out. Have to. I got up to 260 Lbs thru a combination of 12oz curls and fork lifts. Had a major heart attack. 9 days in ICU, 1 in the ward. So I either work out or die. I'm bouncing between 178 and 180 so my BMI isn't bad. I'm 73 and 3/8ths so it's about 21 or so. My work out is with a TRX. They call it suspension traing. It is good for old guys. The last time I did free weights I tore a rotator cuff. That was part of why i got so fat. I'm in about as good a shape as a 62 year old non athlete that smokes can be.
No, I am not getting rid of my Fazer. It was just an wild urge. Ignore them and they go away. Scratch them and they itch worse. Besides, the kids keep offering me on it. I figure if folks are wanting to buy it out from under me, I need to keep it.

Reactions: PCHbreeze
#21 ·
Getting old does suck. But it is better then the alternative. I intend on riding forever, or at least the rest of my days. I have quit riding several times. Family pressure. Always started back up again. The only real physical problem I have is my knees. Even with the relaxed fit of my Fazer, they get stiff after a couple of hours.
2 of the guys I ride with sometimes are older then I am. One is 64 and rides an '04 Z-1000 and the other is past 70 and rides an early (carbs) FZ-1. He won't say how much past 70.
There are some Harley Bikers that probably much older but I don't ride with bikers if I can avoid it. I don't ride in the rain or at night if I can avoid it. Not tough enough for that. All 3 of us have excellent reflexes. I slaughter teenage boys at the slap game on a regular basis. Motorcycle Darwinism.
Stubborn is closer then tough.

#22 · (Edited)
Me too. Still have my 04 FZ6 and Ducati monster. Other crap and elder care giving has taken a lot of time away from riding. The. There is the layoff and career change. I did get to work in an independent motorcycle shop for a time between the job/career change. I did take a job at an Amazon distribution center. That lasted all of two weeks. :bangdesk

I saw the Honda CB1000R. Now that would be my next bike.

#23 ·
Congrats!! My F4i came out of the crate in June 2004 (Fathers Day Weekend) and I still enjoy it every time I get on it. After 10 years, no accidents and complete maintenance, including oil changes every 1500 miles, I can't sell it for enough to make it worthwhile to give up the fun it gives me.

I guess when I move up into the touring bike, it will become a track bike

#24 ·
Ocassional rider

Glad to hear other long time owners around still.

I very rarely ride any more and it's sad, but I still have the bike. I need to get it inspected and haven't ridden in a month. :(

I've probably only ridden it about ten times since putting the Ohlins on, and haven't adjusted the ride height or sag yet.

This is the time of the year that I love to ride, with it being a little cooler, but I've been driving my daughter to middle school in my truck, so that kills my commuting to work. I'm not sure I'm confident riding her on my cycle to school, plus she has a huge backpack. Might make her ride the bus on the days that I ride. :)

I really need to find another non-dealer place close to me that does inspections.

#25 ·
I barely ride myself, a new and very disquieting situation. That said, I walk to work and work long hours, and I'd rather fly the airplane than ride the bike. I've been telling myself my 954 needs an oil change all season. Then it dawned on me, "why does it need an oil change? I haven't ridden it this season". I bet I haven't put a thousand miles on it all year.

#26 ·
Had mine since March 2006 and she still looks like new. She's never missed a beat, oil changed annually, and chain adjusted when I change tyres every 12,000 miles. Just turned 28,600 miles. Best bike I ever had and still love riding. Now started taking my 11 year old to school when the weathers ok. She loves it!

#27 ·
Great stuff here. So odd, I just signed in to this site after maybe a year away and read this thread. My cerulean blue (not silver ;) '05 has treated me very well. 53,000kms now. I bought her used in 07 with only 1100kms on the clock...basically new. Put in $1,200 of maintenance last yr for the 42,000km scheduled maintenance and she purred like the kitten she is. Long road trips are my favorite. Usually log one each summer. Go for 7-10 days and 3-5,000kms each time. Great touring bike that loves the twisties in the Rocky mountains. Even up and down a few fire roads... where I had a tip over ... Bleck. Going to keep riding my Effie for a few more yrs yet. I'll be hitting 50 this year. ...maybe keep her for another 5 years...who knows...she's too much fun. Waiting for the snow to thaw........

#28 ·
Congrats on your ten year anniversary. Seven years ago I owned a 2007 FZ6 and sold it after two years of riding the piss out it... I loved that bike! Yesterday I bought a 2009 FZ6 with only 2000 miles on it . I 'm excited to get to the mainland(I live on Maui, HI) and road trip across the west as a warm-up for seasonal work with the Park Service in Yellowstone. Anyway, I was just poking around this forum to get reacquainted with the bike and to get some insight on essential gear/mechanical issues I should prepare for...

#29 ·
Congrats on another FZ6

Congrats on picking up another FZ6 after being away. Awesome that you picked up a 2009 with only 2000 miles on it! It would probably be neat to ride in Hawaii!

I still have my original 2004 FZ6, but it gets ridden less than ever. My commute is now 25 miles each direction, but it's crappy and involves traffic and inattentive drivers (one day an Audi SUV gently pushed the rear bumper of my truck as I started moving away from a traffic light....) so I don't ride much to work. I doubt that I put over 200 miles on my FZ6 last year. At this point I'm going to have to change my tires due to them drying out, instead of wearing out!

And with our long winter this year, there is still gravel/cinders on the roads in some places, but it is almost cleaned off, so I'll be running out of excuses if it gets warm out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.