Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PO ran the rear tire very low on air and flatspotted the OEM BT016 rear tire BIG TIME. When I got the bike I thought "challenge accepted!" and tried to wear out the sides before the remaining thread on the center was gone, but evicence tells I've failed....

I'm actually surprised I was allowed into the track with such a worn rear tire! Got three trackdays out of that! The first time it wasn't down to the TWI, the second time it already was on the TWI, last sunday I was expecting to get rejected at the tech inspection.

The front one still has a bit of thread left. My original plan was to wear out the rear tire and get a replacement BT016, but seeing how the rear end is constantly sliding, uhm, I rather get something a bit better. I can use the front on my other bikes, so no biggie...

I've always trusted MOTORRAD | Tests - Neuheiten - Bekleidung - gebrauchte Motorräder - Reise The 2013 comparison results are, Conti Road Attack 2 is the best for the street, S20 and Power 3 are the best in the wet, Diablo Rosso II is the best for the track. The overal results are a tie for the S20 and Power 3 for the best tire. The Power 3 is interesting, but I'll pass, I'm considering seriously the Rosso II and S20 with the Road Attack 2 in a 3rd place.

So what is a good hypersport tire? I don't want to go into DOT race tires as I do ride this bike on the street and most of our weekend rides involve lots of highly illegal superslab riding, it will get flat in no time.

What tire would you buy this year, mostly for trackdays, with lots of high speed riding on the street? Lets say, 50-50 track-street.

Or just get another BT016? It's probably sliding because it's worn? Guys at Gixxer.com say it's like riding on ice, so I've got no useful information about the BT016 handling when it is past its prime.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Depending on how fast you are on the track will have some weight in the decision of which tire would be best.
Q2
Q3
S20

any of those would be fine for street and track use, the latter two more track oriented and less life.
Conti Sport attack II wouldn't be a bad choice either, but my experience says it has the shortest tread life of all I listed
All of them (supersport tires) are going to wear out fast at 100 mph+ straightline speeds, so depends on what you consider adequate tread life too.
Always a compromise between treadlife longevity and total overall grip

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Diablo Rosso Corsa or Q3's would be my choice. If you want more than that, Diablo Supercorsas.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'll look into it, Pirelli has so many tires I was having a hard time trying to make head or tails of their lineup, that is until I found this:

DIABLO ROSSO CORSA , Motorcycle Tyres - Car Tyres, Motorcycle Tyres, Truck Tyres, Motorsport tyres - PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL

DIABLO ROSSO II , Motorcycle Tyres - Car Tyres, Motorcycle Tyres, Truck Tyres, Motorsport tyres - PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL

So while the SuperCorsa is the race DOT, the Rosso Corsa is somethign like the... uhm, BT-003?

This chart makes Bridgestone's lineup quite easy to figure out:

ON ROAD | Products | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

Find some Michelin Power One's on eBay. You'll love them.

Or here.

Michelin Power One Tire Combo | MotoSport
Isn't that a race DOT? It is on Michelin's race tire website:

MICHELIN Power

Depending on how fast you are on the track will have some weight in the decision of which tire would be best.
Q2
Q3
S20

any of those would be fine for street and track use, the latter two more track oriented and less life.
Conti Sport attack II wouldn't be a bad choice either, but my experience says it has the shortest tread life of all I listed
All of them (supersport tires) are going to wear out fast at 100 mph+ straightline speeds, so depends on what you consider adequate tread life too.
Always a compromise between treadlife longevity and total overall grip

That's odd, Motorrad Magazine found the Conti Sport Attack 2 to have the least wear of all the tires they tested.

And I hate Dunflops, with passion, my best experience with Dunflops has been a big "meh", which was good considering the other two sets, OEM tires, were terrifyingly bad. I even took of the OEM Dunflops off my Versys before they were worn and replaced them with Shinkos, which are leaps and bounds better. The OEM Dunflop something on my Vulcan 900 were the worst tires I've ever had in the rain, by far. The OEM tires on my 600RR were "meh", although I lowsided at the track with them, no warning, nothign, just complete loss of traction, unlike the OEM Brigestones on the GSX-R which are predictable even when sliding. And the OEM Dunflops Sportmax 221 (I think?) on the Versys were sliding in cold pavement, and were almost as bad as the Vulcan tires in the wet.

I've had such consistently bad experiences with Dunlop that I'd rather stay away from them. Even if the Q3/Q2 are superb tires I'll have a hard time getting myself to trust them.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
So because an oem spec'd tire didn't suit you you hold it against every tire in their line up.....your loss
Also comparing an oe spec'd tire (your obviously biased opinion)on a cruiser to a real supersport tire....again your loss

I ran a set of conti sport attack II's and got less than 3000 miles out of the rear (if I remember correctly it was 2780), about 1700 less than my usual tire-M3- and nearly 1200 less than either Dunlop and even the S20 with several hundred track miles on it gave me more miles than the Conti

So many variables in tire mileage and everyones opinion is not equal, but yet everyone has one.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So because an oem spec'd tire didn't suit you you hold it against every tire in their line up.....your loss
Also comparing an oe spec'd tire (your obviously biased opinion)on a cruiser to a real supersport tire....again your loss

I ran a set of conti sport attack II's and got less than 3000 miles out of the rear (if I remember correctly it was 2780), about 1700 less than my usual tire-M3- and nearly 1200 less than either Dunlop and even the S20 with several hundred track miles on it gave me more miles than the Conti

So many variables in tire mileage and everyones opinion is not equal, but yet everyone has one.
It was not just one set of tires, it was three sets of tires on three different bikes of three different kinds, all of them were crap.

I'm not a tire snob and will ride on almost any tire, save for Dunlops. 8,000 miles on the OEM Macadam 90 that came on my XJR1300, even though they were 8 years old by then. 12500 miles on the Siracs that came with my XT600R. Heck, I was dragging knee on my Katana 750 on bias ply MT75 and I'm on my second set of Shinko Verge 011. I've had pretty good experiences with other OEM tires, the BT016 on the GSX-R are my first set of Bridgestones and I gave them a good run at the track.

The difference is, the front OEM tire on my SV1000 was hard and was easy to break lose when braking (Michelin Pilot Sport or something), but it was one bad experience out of three sets of OEM Michelins, in different kind of bikes. With the Dunlops I've had nothing but bad experiences.

If there are so many good choices out there, why should I bother with a brand I don't trust?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
All I am saying is you are missing out on what a dunlop tire really is by not trying something other than oe spec'd tire that happens to be made by Dunlop

If you don't want to that is your choice of course, makes absolutely no difference to me either way, just you are missing out.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Yes and no. Because of the dual compound technology, it can do both. Use the link you provided and read up on these tires. I frickin' love them for both race track and road.

Lol @ "dry and humid surfaces". What the hell is a humid surface?

Why don't they just come out and say "this tire sucks donkey dick in the wet" like all hyper sport tires do?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I love the S20's that I've been running on my 1098.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Q3 for the time being. I've seen numerous reports of people having tearing problems with them, including 3 at the same trackday my best friend was at. Seems they may have had some QC issues.

A number of my friends who ride the track a lot swear by the R10s but they are pretty spendy. I put a set of BT003s on my track bike and I'm loving them. 4 track days in A group and I'll probably get at least 2 more out of them, and they have been extremely predictable with really good feedback.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm with the OP on Dunlop. I've had 3 sets over the years and I've hated every one of them. Not necessarily for grip issues, but I just find their handling to be slow and awkward. Personally I'm Bridgestone and Pirelli guy, but I usually go for sport touring tires so I don't have much else to add here.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The Rosso II's are a road sports tyre I have them on my Aprilia they are a good thing but I haven't run the Ape at the track so can't comment on your intended use.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The stock Dunlops on my CBR500 Are awful. No road feel, its just gets your from A to B with no excitement. I took the loss and sold them for 40 bucks with half tread life in them. So I too am weary about dropping several hundred on Dunlop brand.
I like Michelin Pilot Powers any level, they just feel so good turning.
Lastly Rosso II are overhyped when I had it on my CBR250, the Pilot Powers were clearly better. All subjective I know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the street any tire you can get your hands on.

For track I stick with the SC1 or SC2 Pirelli. I like the feel, Dunlops are too stiff for my liking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts