Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jay and I talked to a Kawi rep at MotoGP this weekend and Kawi was showing off all the new models. Noticeably absent was the ZZR600, so we asked. Kawasaki is pulling the plug on the ZZR. There was no word that anything was going to replace it, so I suppose they expect persons who would have bought the ZZR to get a Ninja650r instead. I have ridden one of those and for those persons who like higher revving I4 bikes, I guess they will have to go to a full on SS bike if they want a Kawi. Aside from that they have the 650r (twin), or the Versys (also a twin). Oh the horror....

I guess we have the few remaining pieces of history. The last remaining bikes with the venerable "J" Ninja motor.

I am hoping that this decision will mean that vendors will drop prices to move some of their add ons for the ZZR (and the older ZX6rs).

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
yeah i had heard that the zzr600 was done for after 08. i was thinking they would make something along the same thing, but it looks like they are not going to. the thing is that the bike is 10 years old and time to go. i can't beleave the ex500 is still around.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
The Kawi rep told Ray(RayZZR) and I to watch the Kawi website for new product releases very soon.

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
Makes sense I guess. They have their "sporty" bike, the 650R (beginner bike, sporty looks, low price) and they have their I4 sportbike, the ZX6R...plus they have their semi-naked Z bikes (is the 750 still around? or just the 1000?) which compete with the FZ6/FZ1...so the ZZR doesnt really have a place in the market....sadly :(

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
is this a huge problem? I know 09's will be cool especialy if they would've made it look more like a SS bike but parts will always fit from older or newer bikes.

what would you like them (kawasaki) to change IFFF they would've came out with a 2009 model.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had the cash to buy one outright, I'd have this bike in my garage...

Attachments

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
is that the new 6 or the 10

If I had the cash to buy one outright, I'd have this bike in my garage...

i have heard that there is a new zx6r for 09. there are some spy shots i saw on the subject

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
i hear that 07 zx6r's kawi green with monster graphics are so awesome that they are only selling them and discontinuing everything else....word :D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you mean by venerable "j" motor....explain plz
ZX600J model, aka the same engine that went into the butt-kicking 2000-2002 ZX6r (before the redesign of the 6r). The old ZX600E bikes were more sport touring, whereas the "J" models were the SS bikes of yesteryear.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i hear that 07 zx6r's kawi green with monster graphics are so awesome that they are only selling them and discontinuing everything else....word :D
Quit listening to the donkey in your avatar :neener

Actually, that suits me. When do I get mine?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makes sense I guess. They have their "sporty" bike, the 650R (beginner bike, sporty looks, low price) and they have their I4 sportbike, the ZX6R...plus they have their semi-naked Z bikes (is the 750 still around? or just the 1000?) which compete with the FZ6/FZ1...so the ZZR doesnt really have a place in the market....sadly :(
Eh, I'm still scratching my head on why they call the 650r a Ninja. It has tubular handlebars, upright seating position, odd exhaust note and setup, non-adjustable front forks, etc. I'd consider it more of a beginner bike than the ZZR. I have not seen that many around, nor the Versys so only time will tell if they become b***** sellers.

The ZZR is an awesome bike for both canyon carving and touring. I have ridden my 1500 miles in 5 days on a BRP trip, and just got back from Indy where I logged about 600-700 miles. I would not have wanted to do that on a present-day 6r. Ouch...

The tech that is in our bikes may be a little dated by SS bike standards, but for a long ride with some twisty sections along the way I can't think of any other 600 I'd rather be on.

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
yeah man..I hear ya on all accounts, hence the reason why I got a ZZR. I'm not a fan of 600cc SS bikes. Yeah they look great, theyre fast and handle great, but I'm not a racer, and I cant take that seating position for more than 20 minutes.

But it terms of marketing a product, the ZZR doesnt fit with their current lineup :( As I've said, 650R for beginners and/or tourers and ZX6R as the I4 SS bike.

Oh well...at least we got ours! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
ZX600J model, aka the same engine that went into the butt-kicking 2000-2002 ZX6r (before the redesign of the 6r). The old ZX600E bikes were more sport touring, whereas the "J" models were the SS bikes of yesteryear.
possible 09 zx6r ?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts