Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[rant]
I keep reading about all the posts about people going down. It got me thinking about the first major incident (not crash) I had with another driver in my first week of riding. It was dusk out, I was on a single lane highway, no one in front of me or behind me at first. It was a posted 50, but I was doing around 55 (I don't speed for the most part, I know, WTF, I own a sportbike!). I see a Benz SUV pull out onto the highway from a sideroad behind me and come up behind me. I guess I wasn't going fast enough, and since there was oncoming traffic, the idiot passes me ON the shoulder taking up most of my lane and the shoulder damn near pushing me into oncoming traffic. 5 over wasn't fast enough for him I guess. Now you're thinking, some spoiled rich kid in the SUV right? Nah, older man in his 40's probably with his FAMILY in the damn truck! I was like WTF, I guess he knew he pissed me off because I didn't let him get through the only light without me making it too. As we approached my neighborhood, I gave him the WTF look and then the good old 1 finger salute. That shit just amazes the hell out of me, and I see it ALL the time. They really need to hammer the fuckers out there that do that shit.
[/rant]

*edit* Had I been FAR more experienced, I would of attempted the famous size 12 to the quarter panel. Asshole could of ended my life because his kids were late for soccer practice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Probably true somewhat. But honestly I just don't think most people pay attention and don't see bikes. I was with a guy I work with and he pulled out infront of a bike, not so late that it caused a stir, but he looked in his rear view and said "man I didn't even see him back there". Myself, I try to stay aware of my surroundings, I honestly can't see how you don't see a bike coming down the road, especially if it has headlight on. I also always look over my shoulder when switching lanes, something I think most americans don't do because they're too lazy to turn their fat necks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hate shi* like that. I'm always being ran off the road by some fu*ker. Anyone remember that guy who killed himself cause a guy in a old nissan ran him off the road, destroying his body by clipping his handlebar? That's messed up.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
glad that nothing bad happened to you other than a close call, and yes I agree some people just don't give a shit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only I time have crashed (layed a bike down at about 20mph when I hit a gravel strip in the road during a turn) there was a stupid cage who was at the stop sign making a turn onto the road I was turning off of. I remeber laying on my stomach seeing his wheels turn about 3 feet from my face as he drove off.......... :finger.......leaving me in the middle of the road. I wasn't hurt at all (wearing boots, gloves, jacket, pants, helmet), but was momentarily stunned. Turns out there were some new houses being built up the road and the constsnt running of dumptrucks carrying rocks and dirt in and out had put a lot of dirt/gravel/rock in the road at that intersection.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's exactly the point I was trying to make regarding the military's decision to require the use of those ugly reflective vests; we could be wearing those vests, have a 15000 candlepower neon lights strung all over our torsos, and we still would not be seen by cagers!!!! They're just too busy talking on their phones, reading the morning paper, applying make-up, or eating a Double Whopper while driving and therefore too busy to pay attention to some minor detail like operating a motor vehicle........

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
I've started running my high beams at night on city streets around here. Yup,, i know i'm blinding people and i can honestly say i don't care,,,they see me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Canada=Pedestrian>Cyclist>motorcyclist>car>bus>truck
China=Truck>bus>....you get the picture...
You have it easy my friends. Come here to the land of quasi-communism and be prepared to be creamed by the rice-eaters!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think maybe it's time that all the bikers carry a New York Horn (is that the term?) with them, just in case they need to give the odd cager a wake up call. :)

Mike

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think there has EVER been a ride that I didn't have at least one person come into my lane that didn't see me and almost kill me. In fact, about 3 weeks ago I was riding on the highway going the speed limit, within a 5 mins period of time, 3 cars almost killed me and they all were talking on there fucking cell phones!!!

Also, when I honk at them when they are coming into my lane, half of the fuckers honk back like I am doing something wrong... :mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was on the highway two nights ago going like 10 over and some redneck pulling a horse trailer comes right into my lane. Half the times these people don't even realize what is going on, and most of the ones that do think you are the one doing something wrong. I'm so used to people doing stupid shit like that I just keep riding now like nothing happened after I honk and give them the wtf signal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Glad you're okay after that incident, Truck.

Although some people don't really give a shit, most of the problems arise from people simply not paying attention, not thinking clearly, and/or being complete morons. I constantly have people cutting me off or not yielding to my right of way, both while driving the cage and riding. When riding, it is more aggravating since I'm rarely on major roads, and people should be a little more patient on traffic-free back roads. They choose to turn in front of me or pull into my lane doing about 40mph slower than I am going, instead of just waiting for me to pass with no vehicles behind me (and all the time in the world to make their turn).

Obviously, in your case that guy was just an asshole. Fuck 'em. :finger

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
AMEN to Captal I have discovered if you can stay ahead of them, you can usually get out of the way. On Multi-lane roads, I move around in my lane and try to make eye contact in their mirrors. I did have one a$$h6!e look my in the eye and move right into my lane and pushed me to the shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
18,631 Posts
Man you guys have some bad luck...I live in Florida, land of the blind blue hairs, so I know that I have to be even that much more attentive when I ride, which is almost daily...And I have had minimal experiences when it comes to incidents involving cages...

Most of the time, they always make the gesture of apology, but some are so scared of road rage that they won't look at you as you get next to them to give them the evil eye...

Anyway, don't take it so personal all the time...The world is full of A-holes and it will always be that way...There's actually even a few (or more) that ride motorcycles...

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Im in Fl too, and i have been run off the road more times than i honestly care to recall. I usually respond with an invitation to pull to the side of the road to get more aquainted, or the size 15 boot to the door or 1/4 panel. I just get fed up with it and say enough is enough this guy is gonna learn now.....i wish redline laura had the video of me on I-95 in S Fl when the guy in the expidetion ran into me..that was funny...just be safe its all i can tell you....ride as if everyone is out to kill you :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts