Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is "Ride Your Bike in Shorts Day" in Boise, Idaho.

At least that's the impression I get looking around. Of the 30 or so bikes I've seen today, at least 15 people were riding in shorts. Myself included (though the helmet stays on). Must be the roasty temperatures we're finally having.

Anyone else commit the sin of riding in shorts while commuting to work during toasty weather?

And for those who wanna flame because I wore shorts... its a 5 mile ride each way to work - only 2 turns involved - in town - 45 mph tops -
And yeah, though the risks are much less than those involved in sport riding or even commuting on the highway/freeway riding - there are still risks. I know this but its still nice wearing shorts to work.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Never in shorts. Maybe one out of a hundred times with no jacket but always a helmet and gloves. It gets hot here too, it's just my personal choice to sweat rather than risk the road rash. Been there, done that. As far as flaming you, lol, in my opinion as long as you aren't racing/stunting on the way to work in your shorts there's no reason to rag you like you're some squid. I hate that word anymore..... can we think of a new one?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
About two weeks ago it was hot and very humid here. Riding was down right unenjoyable with jeans, a jacket (even a mesh one) and gloves. I still couldn't bring myself to ride without any of that stuff, but I can no longer criticize those who do.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I do it going to work occasionally. I don't like it really, cause the motor is hot on the bare legs and if I can burn my leg on the exhaust easier. I prefer long pants. However they won't do much more than wearing shorts in a crash anyway. When I go for my weekend rides in the twisties I always wear full gear.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
i have before, on my way to meet some friends at a bar :lol
What's better than DRINKING on a BIKE with SHORTS???

[HIGH on COCAINE with a GUN??] :eek:nfloor

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Nope. Never will do it. Always in leather pants or thick jeans at a bare minimum. Those paper thin Express jeans won't even cut it for me.

I'm really tempted to wear shorts with the hot summer weather, but I also consider the consequences of stuff happening like blown tire, locked chain. Stuff happens, even if its ONLY 5 miles. Stuff can happen even traveling 2 inches dude. No flame, just my $0.02.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
J0HNK said:
What's better than DRINKING on a BIKE with SHORTS???

[HIGH on COCAINE with a GUN??] :eek:nfloor
You know that guy that hung out with Hunter Thompson, Dr. Gonzo according to the movie...i read in that big Rolling Stone article that he was a real person

a lawyer with a head full of acid and a gun in his back pocket!

you definately wanna stay away from that guy :lao

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think I have ridden 2 or 3 times in 3 years wearing shorts. I really just try to seriously avoid it. Not worth the risk to me. If someone else wants to do it...that's there choice. Albeit, a choice they will regret if they go down.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I personally don't ride in shorts or w/o a helmet,jacket,gloves, and at least jeans but around here it's ride in shorts and t-shirt day every day for alot of the people I see around.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2000NinjaZX6R said:
I do it going to work occasionally. I don't like it really, cause the motor is hot on the bare legs and if I can burn my leg on the exhaust easier. I prefer long pants. However they won't do much more than wearing shorts in a crash anyway. When I go for my weekend rides in the twisties I always wear full gear.

I have a carbon fiber pipe so burning my leg on the exhaust isn't as likely as burning it on the tank. That sucker gets downright hot.

I too prefer long pants - I even stopped wearing khaki's on day's I ride to work (which is every day now!). I did feel like a tool on the road in those shorts but for some reason the AC at work doesn't kick in until its too late and your day is already ruined.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did at a couple times for short distance like 2-3 miles, more than that and gear up...
now its downright raining everyday so no riding to work for a while...

damn weather!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i bet it's nice riding in shorts and a tshirt...but damn...i just can't do it...i really don't have a problem with other people doing it i guess....i just can't...i can't make myself wear jeans...i always, always wear full gear...and yup, i sweat to death and am friggin A hot...but i'm usually not stopped long enough for it to really bother me...have mesh pants and perforated leather jacket...anything can happen and that son of a bitch murphy has never been a good friend of mine!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
never have and never will ride in shorts. Sweat or skin graphs.....ill go with the sweat. Im always in pants, riding jacket, race gloves and boots, helmet. If you choose to ride in shorts, hey its your money and pain.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Never in shorts, ill go without the jacket once and a while just due to heat..i know its squidly..but... ill also drive slower during.

·
Registered
597 Posts
hozhead said:
I have a carbon fiber pipe so burning my leg on the exhaust isn't as likely as burning it on the tank. That sucker gets downright hot.

I too prefer long pants - I even stopped wearing khaki's on day's I ride to work (which is every day now!). I did feel like a tool on the road in those shorts but for some reason the AC at work doesn't kick in until its too late and your day is already ruined.
Mine is aftermarket too and doesn't get as hot as stock but my exhaust pipe that goes into the slipon is just behind the foot brake pedal. If I take off and let my leg swing back a bit I hit that hot exhaust pipe. I hate that. Has happened only a couple times but even a second on that pipe burns ya.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've caved and have not been using my leather jacket; I still, however, use my gloves(though fingerless), boots and jeans......as far as using shorts while riding, nope.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I ride in shorts to take the bike to the car wash. It's 4 blocks from the house. Yeah, I know your not supposed to use the high pressure but sometimes I don't feel like getting all those bugs off by hand.
It's already getting into triple digit temps here. Today is supposed to be 97, with a heat index above 100 degrees.
When we go on group rides on Sunday, we leave at 8am to beat the heat. Usually back around noon. I've got a 2 piece Spidi suit and man that sucker gets hot. My SMX boots are actually quite cool though.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Never ride in shorts. Ever. Wouldn't be any cooler on my bike anyway - pants actually protects my legs from the heat my bike pumps out through the fairing.

Riding in jeans (but otherwise full gear) is the limit of my risk taking gear-wise. But that's about to change - UPS just delivered my First Gear mesh pants. :banana

1 - 20 of 33 Posts