Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old welsh corgi named Teddy.

He's a good dog. A great dog. A real shit starter with an attitude after my own heart. I love him to death and spend most of my time at home with or around him.

But over the past few weeks I've noticed a change in his fur and behavior. He whines consistently, and is constantly itching at himself. Mainly his lower back, above his haunches. He will crawl under my bed and rake his back on my bed frame.

His fur has gotten considerably drier/less oily, and has developed a light curl on his lower back.

I'm not sure what direction to go with the diag here. I know there are a myriad of possible causes, so I don't even know where to start. He eats table scraps and good dry dog food, and consistently has all the water provided that a dog could possibly desire to drink.

What do SBN dog lovers?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Take him to the vet. Honestly the changes in his coat could be a symptom of so many different problems varying from something as simple as some skin problem all the way to some serious health issues that I don't even want to talk about.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Have you checked his skin where he is itching ? His demodex mites may have got the upper hand on him , they are normal mammal fauna but can get out of hand and cause a mange .

·
Short Yellow bus rider
223 Posts
Many reasons ... environmental, food allergies. Switching to a quality food might be the 1st thing I'd try. Even a good food might have the ingredients that might be allergic to some dogs. Just make sure the transition from one brand to another is very gradual.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Def go to vet. Lots of variables as mentioned above.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Have you ever had his anal glands expressed?

In other words, his poophole needs to be squeezed.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Just make sure the transition from one brand to another is very gradual.
I don't understand where that "gradual transition" came from. Dogs evolved as hunter / scavengers, they didn't get to eat the same thing every day. One day they hunted down a wild chicken, the next day they ate from a deer carcass and the next day they chomped some grass and sweet potatoes.

I can't feed my dog 2 weeks the same food, she'll get bored. Even Purina Beneful, that I swear is has artificial cat shit flavoring (if not real cat shit), will bore her after a while. I alternate between dry and canned food, meaty bones and also change the formula of dry food regularly.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Beneful is some of the shittiest 'dog food' on the market. First ingredient: corn. Dogs don't fucking eat corn (or flour) Buy orijin, acana, something that's actually made from meat

Orijen: Ingredients: Boneless chicken, chicken meal, chicken liver, whole herring, boneless turkey, turkey meal, turkey liver, whole eggs, boneless walleye, whole salmon, chicken heart, chicken cartilage, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams, pea fibre, chickpeas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach greens, carrots, red delicious apples, bartlett pears, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium, supplements: vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast

Beneful: Ingredients: Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin E), beef, rice flour, soy flour, water, meat and bone meal, propylene glycol, sugar, salt, phosphoric acid, tricalcium phosphate, animal digest, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), non-fat yogurt powder, dried carrots, dried peas, dicalcium phosphate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, red 40, l-lysine monohydrochloride, manganese sulfate, niacin, yellow 5, yellow 6, vitamin A supplement, blue 2, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have you checked for fleas? My dog can have similar symptoms from fleas. He seems to have a allergy to them and will have itchy, red irritated skin. Every time it's fleas and once I get rid of them, he's good.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beneful is some of the shittiest 'dog food' on the market. First ingredient: corn. Dogs don't fucking eat corn (or flour) Buy orijin, acana, something that's actually made from meat

Orijen: Ingredients: Boneless chicken, chicken meal, chicken liver, whole herring, boneless turkey, turkey meal, turkey liver, whole eggs, boneless walleye, whole salmon, chicken heart, chicken cartilage, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams, pea fibre, chickpeas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach greens, carrots, red delicious apples, bartlett pears, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium, supplements: vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast

Beneful: Ingredients: Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin E), beef, rice flour, soy flour, water, meat and bone meal, propylene glycol, sugar, salt, phosphoric acid, tricalcium phosphate, animal digest, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), non-fat yogurt powder, dried carrots, dried peas, dicalcium phosphate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, red 40, l-lysine monohydrochloride, manganese sulfate, niacin, yellow 5, yellow 6, vitamin A supplement, blue 2, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite
I don't buy dogfood with corn in the first 10 ingredients.

I buy it from a place about a half hour out of town, in 50 pound bags. made locally, not shitty food.

I gave teddy the bath of his life yesterday, after going to the vet to ask to get him booked in. They sold me some dog shampoo (cheaper than a vet visit, and quicker for all involved as away to eliminate some of the potential causes) that the vet said has cleared up some issues with dander and dust being trapped in the fur and not being washed out with normal bathing. Also sposed to be good for his skin. I've never used much in the way of soaps and shampoos when bathing the pooch, I'll admit. It was something like 45 minutes I spent washing him. And I'll say the water did come out dirty enough.

He has not itched nor whined today. I dunno what that soap did, but it seems to have worked. We'll see how he does in the next few days. Maybe he just needed some moisturizer haha.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I know Beneful is about the worst kind of food available, but it is covered in fat and has many artificial flavorings, it is tasty. It is junk food and tastes good. When my dog refuses to eat anything I'll give her Beneful and she goes crazy...

But she gets bored of any food.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Hope your dog does well. I know you get tired of the commercials, if you've ever heard them, but Dinovite supplement does work.

Best dog food I've used is Canidae Pure Land. Only has seven ingredients the first of which is Bison. Pricey at $37.00 for 12 lbs at Petco but worth it. I have a white pit bull female that suddenly couldn't keep any food down when she turned a year old. Many vet bills later she was down to skin and bones. I was spending close to $200/month on meds just to help her keep her food down. Started feeding her Canidae Pure Land back in late spring.

Gradually weaned her off her meds. She used to come into the kitchen each morning and wait for her pills. One morning she didn't want them anymore. It was as if she KNEW she didn't need them. She hasn't needed them since. Now she's so rolly polly I have to keep loosening her collar. White pitties are extremely sensitive to their environment. Since she's been on this food she can go run and roll in the grass w/out breaking out in a rash.

Having said all this I agree w/ the others - get your baby to the vet if the problems persist.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Predator, what dog food are you using? Does it come with an ingredient list? Local made doesn't necessarily mean good.

I don't understand where that "gradual transition" came from. Dogs evolved as hunter / scavengers, they didn't get to eat the same thing every day. One day they hunted down a wild chicken, the next day they ate from a deer carcass and the next day they chomped some grass and sweet potatoes.

I can't feed my dog 2 weeks the same food, she'll get bored. Even Purina Beneful, that I swear is has artificial cat shit flavoring (if not real cat shit), will bore her after a while. I alternate between dry and canned food, meaty bones and also change the formula of dry food regularly.
It's a general recommendation because many dogs get diarrhea and/or vomiting if they are switched from one type of food to the next suddenly. Some dogs do just fine. Just like with people, there is variability.

And dogs didn't evolve. Wolves evolved. Dogs were then purpose-bred for traits that humans liked. This often comes at the expensive of a dog's health.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Predator, what dog food are you using? Does it come with an ingredient list? Local made doesn't necessarily mean good.

It's a general recommendation because many dogs get diarrhea and/or vomiting if they are switched from one type of food to the next suddenly. Some dogs do just fine. Just like with people, there is variability.

And dogs didn't evolve. Wolves evolved. Dogs were then purpose-bred for traits that humans liked. This often comes at the expensive of a dog's health.
I do believe I said that the ingredient list was to my liking. I'll go so far as to say I can pronounce all of the ingredients. And propylene glycol, sure as fuck ain't one of em.

Teddy has been very good the past few days. happier, less stressed, no whining, and very little itching. No more rolling around on the floor biting at his haunches, that's for fuck sure.

Reactions: jeffo8

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
dynovite.com

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just got a german shepherd who will one day be my partner at work when he's old enough. So he's on some expensive damn food (taste of the wild). But since it's winter his skin was still dry.

I started giving him 1/2 tsp of organic virgin coconut oil then gradually started giving him more. They recommend 1tbs per 10 lbs after you get them use to it. He LOVES it! His fur looks amazing and not dry. I also put some in a water bottle (about 50/50 mix so he doesn't get greasy) and spray him down with it (have to warm the water so the oil will melt). Makes him smell great and so soft. I don't spray him every day since I don't always have time. But he eats it once a day.
Also never has had puppy breath or anything. PLUS no fleas! Cats have em and the other two dogs but not him... Supposably fleas hate it.
I'm going to try to start the rest of the critters on it.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I just got a german shepherd who will one day be my partner at work when he's old enough. So he's on some expensive damn food (taste of the wild). But since it's winter his skin was still dry.

I started giving him 1/2 tsp of organic virgin coconut oil then gradually started giving him more. They recommend 1tbs per 10 lbs after you get them use to it. He LOVES it! His fur looks amazing and not dry. I also put some in a water bottle (about 50/50 mix so he doesn't get greasy) and spray him down with it (have to warm the water so the oil will melt). Makes him smell great and so soft. I don't spray him every day since I don't always have time. But he eats it once a day.
Also never has had puppy breath or anything. PLUS no fleas! Cats have em and the other two dogs but not him... Supposably fleas hate it.
I'm going to try to start the rest of the critters on it.
Where have you been? Haven't seen a post from you in forever. (I don't get out of open forums much anymore, which may be why)Good to hear from ya.

Taste of the Wild is good stuff. My white pittie w/ digestive issues liked it but she loves Canidae Pure Land even better. Thanks for the info about the coconut oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts