Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out on a little 13 hour ride in the Pacific Northwest and on the way back from some twisties in a group of 10 riders (I was leading) we had a little more "attention" from the State Troopers than desired.

Having done the speed limit for about oh 25 miles, there was finally enough of a gap in traffic that it made sense to start passing some cars given the number of riders we had & the fact that with too much traffic I don't like things turning into a gong show during passing.

Unfortunately, after about 5 minutes or so of working through light traffic, I look in my rearview and sure enough I see blue & red lights flashing in an undercover SUV. The trooper had been following us for the last 20 + miles. He was somewhat displease due to the passing and the speed (he clocked us at around 80 or so...but it may have been more, I was more focused on getting around cars smoothly than about the speed).
It was all safe passing from my standpoint, just rather 'enthusiastic'.

Luckily one of the guys riding with us was a fireman and he had a longer discussion with the Trooper (along with my best friend who works for the police). Everyone got a warning and a stern lecture. I believe it is worth noting that except for one guy (who decided to open his dumb mouth) everyone was polite and professional.

So often I read about negative interactions between cops & bikers, I thought I'd post up a positive one. (My second waring in 6 days, it had been one of those weeks).

Be safe out there and have fun. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
That's sweet. I've never ridden with cops, but our last long ride was with 6 Critical Care nurses. Not much help with getting pulled over, but AWSOME to have if someone goes down!! :dblthumb

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
This one of the many things that pisses me off. Government workers getting special treatment from other government workers just because they work for the government.

Its this kind of bullshit that reinforces the "us versus them" mentality that government workers hold against "civillians".

Sorry, I'm still pissed about going through 8 layers of "security" while celebrating my "liberty" on the 4th. Right.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Actually your experience with the cop is still negative on the whole. They guy was following you for 20 + miles? Why? Sounds to me like he was waiting for you to do something wrong, which is harrassment. And tell me who doesnt break the speed limit when passing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I wish you all would quit your whining and crying. Jeckyll had a positive experience when getting pulled over. They received warnings not necessarily due to riding with government employees, but due to the fact that he(officer) probably understands the whole passing/breaking the speed limit factor that exists. Granted the gov't employees did speak to him. If you were in a group of riders and got pulled over, you would be greatful to have someone there to bail you out or at least show a positive side from the group to the officer.

I'm assuming the reason he followed them for 20+ miles was due to them being on twisties and not being able to turn off anywhere.

This thread was not made to give your negative feedbacks towards the law... "So often I read about negative interactions between cops & bikers, I thought I'd post up a positive one. " Stay on subject, folks.

Thanks for the post Jeckyll. :cheers

·
Registered
809 Posts
one guy who I ride with sometimes is a cop.
total squid too. just totalled a brand new 749s with no gear on and was riding his 748 the next day.

kinda makes me feel more comfortable opening it up sometimes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
mtnryder said:
I wish you all would quit your whining and crying. Jeckyll had a positive experience when getting pulled over. They received warnings not necessarily due to riding with government employees, but due to the fact that he(officer) probably understands the whole passing/breaking the speed limit factor that exists. Granted the gov't employees did speak to him. If you were in a group of riders and got pulled over, you would be greatful to have someone there to bail you out or at least show a positive side from the group to the officer.

I'm assuming the reason he followed them for 20+ miles was due to them being on twisties and not being able to turn off anywhere.

This thread was not made to give your negative feedbacks towards the law... "So often I read about negative interactions between cops & bikers, I thought I'd post up a positive one. " Stay on subject, folks.

Thanks for the post Jeckyll. :cheers
The whole point is still that had the fireman and the police officer hadn't been riding with them they probably all would of gotten tickets. If they were passing safely, and not acting stupid then the cop shouldn't of been worried about them. No one wants to be taken out by a stupid cage driver who decides to jump into your lane without a turn signal or checking their mirrors or blind spots, so breaking the speed limit passing cages shouldn't be that bad if safely done.
Jeckyll said:
(My second waring in 6 days, it had been one of those weeks).
Makes you wonder :rolleyes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys, speaking from experience-both from the other side of a badge and now as a rider-I can say that the biggest thing that will help you out if you are pulled over is being courteous. If you pull over as soon as it's safe to and have all your paperwork together and don't cop an attitude, most cops will cut you as much slack as possible. Most people have no idea what most cops through each day. It's the 6th time that day someone was late for work, the 4th iron left on at home, etc., etc. A good portion of cops will let you go with a warning if you have all your stuff together and your dirving record is in relatively decent shape. Yes, cops pay attention to bikes and some of them even key in on sportbikes. Unfortunately, for every 20 good riders, there's that one squid who seems to piss off every cop in America and yes, it gets the cops fired up. I live in a town of about 40k and every time some dumbass on a yellow bike runs from a cop, for the next week or two, I get serious looks or even get followed from cops trying to figure out if it was me. Most cops don't know the difference between a Ducati and a Suzuki.........to them, it's just a yellow sportbike. Before you guys flame me, I'm not defending all cops. Just like any other job, there are good ones and bad ones. I've almost been in fights with guys on the PD at fire scenes because they wanted me to move my truck so they could get traffic cleared...you know the big red truck that's putting all the water on the fire.
Honestly, most cops have their minds made up before they get out of their cruiser whether or not you're going to get written. It's up to you to change their mind. And yes, some departments don't allow a traffic stop without some kinda paper being written, so in that situation, how you treat the cop will determine whether or not you're leaving with a hard copy or a warning. If he got you doing 80 in a 25...you're probably going home with a keeper. But if it's something like passing cars and riding a little 'vigorously', if you're decent to the cop most of the time, they'll cut you as much slack as possible. Even if it's just knocking a few miles off the top, it's better than nothing.

As far as riding with firefighters and nurses go, honestly, firefighters would be a better bet. Understand, I'm not knocking nurses.....it's just that they usually know how to deal with patients in a stable environment and in an institutional setting. Most of them wouldn't have a clue what to do out on the street in the event of a serious accident. I'm an EMT with 12 years ofexperience and still sometimes have a hard time getting the train of thought going when I arrive on wrecks because of the hectic nature of it all.
If you're serious about safety when riding, check out a non-profit group ot of Wisconsin called Accident Scene Management. http://www.accidentscene.org/ They teach riders how to help out at the scene of accidents. It goes as far as teaching you basic life-saving techniques and even goes into advanced first aid. The course was designed by a nurse who realized that she wouldn't know the first thing to do in an accident. I'm an instructor for the course and it's the best thing I've seen yet getting the information out to the casual rider.
Well....now that I've turned this into a book hopefully it's helped out a little. If not, I guess flame on!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Actually your experience with the cop is still negative on the whole. They guy was following you for 20 + miles? Why? Sounds to me like he was waiting for you to do something wrong, which is harrassment. And tell me who doesnt break the speed limit when passing.
That's what I was thinking. Positive to be followed, pulled over and warned??

I honestly doubt he would have written you all tickets, expecially if you were curtious. Also mention that you were all going to take them to court and sort out who did what and who didn't do what. See if he writes 10 tickets then, he might, but maybe he will think twice about how much hassle it will cause and if it's really worth it. I know if it was me I would say screw this and tell them to just slow down and give them a warning just like he did, so I doubt it was because of special treatment.

·
Registered
484 Posts
They always say to be nice and curteous to officers when being pulled over and such, and each time that i have been pulled over i have everything ready and i have a pretty good driving record and i gotten tickets both times. and one was just last week- pulled over for doing 53 in a 45 and was moving with traffic, not doing anything stupid.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Unbridled Rage said:
This one of the many things that pisses me off. Government workers getting special treatment from other government workers just because they work for the government.

Its this kind of bullshit that reinforces the "us versus them" mentality that government workers hold against "civillians".

Sorry, I'm still pissed about going through 8 layers of "security" while celebrating my "liberty" on the 4th. Right.

Damn, with that post who is re-enforcing the "us against them" mentality? In all fairness I give bikers more slack that anyone else because I ride also! And if I am stopped on the road for doing something wrong I don't even tell them I am a cop. I don't want favortism from the officer plus more than likely my chief will find out about it and I have to explain it to him, which sucks when it is time for my pay review! Poeple need to realize that cops are human just like they are and when we are off duty we like to be like "normal people" just like anyone else. Are there bad cops in this job? You damn right there is. Are there good cops? Yep to that also. Now, to re-enforce the "us against them" issue, being a cop is not a 9-5 deal and how many of you are REQUIRED to carry a gun to work and have to wear BULLET PROOF gear and for that matter when you step out of your office to go down the hallway, do you have to worry about that being the last time anyone sees you alive again?? Judge yourself before judge someone else and if you think the job is easy......work it for about 2 years and see if you have the same attitude. Now, go ahead with flames because I know they are coming!!

·
20,852 Posts
Generalizing "all cops as being out to get SS bikers" is kind of like saying "all SS bikers are a problem and cops should stop them all". Talk about stereotyping. :lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just because someone is in the emergency services (Fire/Police/EMS) that does not give us a free pass. It would be nice if it worked like that, but unfortunatly it's not the case. Much like Officer737 said, when you're not on the job you just want to be a normal person. In fact, myself and most of the people I associate with at work don't even tell people what we do for a living when we're not on the job. It's just the way it goes. Next time you deal with a police officer, realize that he's human too and he's in a tough position anytime he's dealing with someone while on the job. There's a lot of information to sort our quickly and there's not a lot of room for error in your decision making. Everyone can have a bad day. Just like everyone can have a good day.
Shane

·
20,852 Posts
medic001918 said:
Just because someone is in the emergency services (Fire/Police/EMS) that does not give us a free pass. It would be nice if it worked like that, but unfortunatly it's not the case. Much like Officer737 said, when you're not on the job you just want to be a normal person. In fact, myself and most of the people I associate with at work don't even tell people what we do for a living when we're not on the job. It's just the way it goes. Next time you deal with a police officer, realize that he's human too and he's in a tough position anytime he's dealing with someone while on the job. There's a lot of information to sort our quickly and there's not a lot of room for error in your decision making. Everyone can have a bad day. Just like everyone can have a good day.
Shane
So true Medic! Most times when I am out and having a good time I will be shootig the breeze and when the topic of jobs come up once I say I am a cop most people "have something they need to do" and never see them again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts