Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, didnt really know wher eelse to post this, the naked forum had zero activity. Anyways, Im considering a naked sv650 to turn into a quasi fighter, but Im just worried about the wind. Is it that much worse than a full faired bike? Will it be very noticeable at speeds of 75-80 and under? I mostly ride curvy 2 lane roads, but interstate trips are always a possibility. Would it be out of the question?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Get some sort of mini fairing or flyscreen to deflect the wind off chest level for those longer rides. Really helps fatigue level.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+10000 to this ^.

IMO the wind is bad at speeds above 50 mph. There are many mini-fairing options for the sv (Givi, Targa, etc.). I had an '00 sv650 for over 5 years. A mini-fairing (Targa) was one on my first mods.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It's fine.

Once you're used to it you'll be fine. Look at all the naked bike guys that commute and do roadtrips...

I don't see what the big deal is. It's nothing more than an annoyance or blessing depending on your point of view. I put 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year on my naked bike, takes me 1.5 hrs on the highway to get to the twisties every weekend, never had an issue with wind.

Or I could be blunt and just tell you to stop being a wimp and just ride the damn thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing is I hate the look of a mini fairing, I should have put that in my first post. I like fightered SVs because they look so clean and simple, and to me a fairing ruins the nice plain headlight. Is the wind on a naked comparable to that of a cruiser without a screen, or different because of the different riding positions?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
To be honest, you're really over thinking it. Wind isn't that bad...seriously, I think fairings have spoiled riders!

I can ride 90 mph all day on my naked. No tucking or anything needed. Always makes me laugh when I see a rider tucked in on the highway going 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
onewithmybike said:
The only thing is I hate the look of a mini fairing, I should have put that in my first post. I like fightered SVs because they look so clean and simple, and to me a fairing ruins the nice plain headlight. Is the wind on a naked comparable to that of a cruiser without a screen, or different because of the different riding positions?
Fighting wind on most cruisers is worse because of the "sit up and beg" seating position forcing the rider into a pull into the bars to fight the wind blast. At least on a nekkid or sport bike (depending on your size/ ergos) the wind can support your weight at speed and slightly lesson pressure on wrists.

Looks or comfort, It's your decision

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yeah, I'll take the wind coverage, thankyouverymuch.

Sure, you CAN ride lots of miles on a naked, plenty of folks do. But there is no sense arguing that you won't be MORE comfortable and less fatigued WITH some wind protection. Personally, for highway-speed riding, I'll take as much coverage as I can get, without introducing buffetting.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It probably comes down to what you're used to.

I have NEVER had a problem or issue with wind on my naked, but I've also never owned a faired bike. I've only ever put maybe a few hundred miles on faired bikes in my life, I can tell the difference, but the difference is not as dramatic as expected.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
TS80 said:
It probably comes down to what you're used to.

I have NEVER had a problem or issue with wind on my naked, but I've also never owned a faired bike. I've only ever put maybe a few hundred miles on faired bikes in my life, I can tell the difference, but the difference is not as dramatic as expected.
Indeed. What have you ridden for faired bikes? I think alot of faired bikes, the current crop of RRs in particular, offer very little in terms of actual wind protection, so yeah, not much different from a naked. I mean really, what kind of protection are you gonna get off a fairing and windscreen that just barely clears the urine jars on the clips-ons, which are mounted below the upper triple clamp? Maybe your gut is out of the wind, but that's about it.

I've ridden bikes from completely naked cruisers (horrible on the highway) to an FJR1300 (great wind protection, but actually a bit TOO MUCH for my taste most of the time). I think the fairing and stock-profile screen on my ZZR1200 is just right; much better than even the full fairing on my wife's former YZF600R, but not enough to introduce buffetting or backpressure. I don't mind the FJR1300 with the stock screen in the down position, but I have to admit the dead air with the screen up is awefully nice when it's raining or freezing cold. All that coverage is kinda stiffling in hot weather though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My longest ride is to VT every summer, but it's only about 1.5 hours on the highway before we hit the twisties the rest of the way. I work out, and do lots of situps, and don't mind the wind at all. If I want wind protection, I'll drive my car.:)

·
Sidehacker Extraordinaire
2,305 Posts
I'll agree with TS80 for the most part, basically it comes down to "don't be a wuss". I've done plenty of high speed and long distance on my fully-naked XJ and I never found the lack of a fairing to be a problem, even in the rain. One reason I DID want a fairing on my next main bike (my FZ6) is because I ride year round, including sub-freezing temperatures; I wanted to direct some of the wind off my chest to help keep me warmer. Most of the time you don't notice if it's there or not though. Just get what you think looks good and don't worry about it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I certainly don't have a problem if you want to forego a fairing, mini or otherwise. I would suggest, then, that you "invest" in some close-fitting riding gear to minimize your profile to the wind. Plus, a helmet with good aerodynamics and less buffeting would also be a good idea.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
Is it just my imagination, or did I read once that fairings have little to do with wind resistance? I could have sworn I read the original reason for fairings was to keep oil off the track.

Also, if I remember correctly, the aerodynamics of a bike's fairings do very little once there's a rider on top.

A good helmet and fitted leathers will help, but the windscreen is pretty much all that makes a big impact in the fight against wind fatigue.

You should experience it yourself - the difference between a standard windscreen and a double bubble is pretty large, and I'm in pretty good shape...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys, every single one of you has offered helpful advice, much more than I can say about any other forum Ive been to, bike-related or not. Im definately not a wuss, I actually go places on my bike that most other people wouldn't, and indeed most of my friends wont ride with me to certain places. I think motorcycling should incur a little bit of "roughness" for lack of a better word, and Im definately not afraid of a little discomfort, just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to sell a bike Im happy with and make a 4K mistake. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all. I had a suzuki bandit 1200 with a pretty puny windscreen, and no fairings. You get used to it; frankly that's usually the least of your problems.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I just bought a Speed Triple, and the three hour ride home was all highway, 65 to 75 mph. Yea, you take the wind, but I found it to be very smooth where sometimes on a faired bike, there can be a lot of buffeting depending on where the air stream from the windshield hits you. I didn't find it to be a problem at all.

Some people get too hung up about wind, I have a buddy who's gone through one windshield after another, after another, after another on some of his bikes. I tell him if he wants to be out of the wind that bad, he should sell the damn bike and just drive his car. Wind is part of the experience.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
bzbatl said:
Is it just my imagination, or did I read once that fairings have little to do with wind resistance? I could have sworn I read the original reason for fairings was to keep oil off the track.

Also, if I remember correctly, the aerodynamics of a bike's fairings do very little once there's a rider on top.

A good helmet and fitted leathers will help, but the windscreen is pretty much all that makes a big impact in the fight against wind fatigue.

You should experience it yourself - the difference between a standard windscreen and a double bubble is pretty large, and I'm in pretty good shape...
I've been assuming we've been talking about windscreens, not side/lower fairings.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
It's really not that bad. I've done 650 miles in a day on my old SV650 with no discomfort due to the wind. The ONLY wind protection I had was a fly screen off of a Buell Blast.

I was actually more comfortable doing a 650 mile day on that bike, than I was doing a 500 mile day on my F4i (before I added bar risers and a good seat).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts