Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of new tires. I caught a brass nail in the front last week and the back had over 7000 miles put on it last year. All of the local shops around here claim that I can't buy tires first and bring them in to be installed because its a "liability." I would think if I brought in my own tires I would save a little money (lowest quoted price for a pair of pilot powers + installation was $339) I've never bought tires before so I dont know if this is a normal thing or not. Any insight?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Complete BS. If this were true, mailorder stores like Tire Rack wouldn't exist, and they've been doing quite well for many years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a place to work on your bike, learn to do it yourself. You will save a ton of money. I've been changing tires for the past 5 years now.
I've thought about doing this but I've read that it can be a hassle and some of the equipment is expensive. Does it pay for itself in the long run?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
from what I have gathered, the equipment needed can be bought or made for less than 150 bucks.

considering most shops have a "here, have some lipstick before we bend you over" policy on tire mounting, yeah, it'll pay for itself within probably 2 sets of tires.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I'd find another shop out of principle. They're being greedy and trying to take you for a fool.

Though, I second the notion to change your own tires. The first few times are a pain in the ass, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A couple of tire spoons cost you 20-30 bucks if that and that's all you need.Street tires are real easy,dirt are harder but not a big deal really either.
Still have to go to a shop to get them balanced though-unless you have a stand and want to static bal them yourself.

·
Registered
495 Posts
what I've found, is that normally, the Dealerships won't mount mail-order tires, but Independent shops will.

And, yes, it's normal for a dealership to rape you until your eyes bleed.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
A couple of tire spoons cost you 20-30 bucks if that and that's all you need.Street tires are real easy,dirt are harder but not a big deal really either.
Still have to go to a shop to get them balanced though-unless you have a stand and want to static bal them yourself.
A static balancer is only $20 at HF. Works just fine. Tested up to 165 indicated on the track.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Where in WI? Maybe someone here could point you in a direction. Who gave you the bullshit story?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im just south of madison. I called a locally owned shop and they said its a liability because "we'd be responsible if the tire blew up or something like that"

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I've thought about doing this but I've read that it can be a hassle and some of the equipment is expensive. Does it pay for itself in the long run?

Wrong! I've done a bunch of mine own, and lot's of friends tires with only the equipment shown below (this exact equipment). Mine turn out as good or better than any I've had one. (note, not a list of the cheapest equipment, but stuff I felt had enough quality to last, and it has)

Balancer - $62 - Shop Bench Dirt Bike Motorcycle Wheel Balancer Tire Truing Stand BW WB 03 | eBay

bead breaker - $90 - Portable Motorcycle Bead Breaker Shop Service Tire Replace Changer BW 2065 | eBay

Stubby tires levers, plastic - $35 - stubby tire tools

wheel weights - $7 - Motion Pro Wheel Weights Motorcycle 72 1 4oz Tire Sport Bike DIY Black Honda | eBay

Then you need stands to lift the bike, or a way to improvise. I even used paint cans for the rear before I got Pitbull stands

·
Registered
48 Posts
I watched a video on youtube a couple years back on how to use zipties to change tires. I swear to god it is sooooo easy. Between my kids dirtbikes and my bike, I have probably changed 10 tires in the last 2 years and it cant be much easier.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Is there a Cycle Gear near you? Some of them mount and balance tires. If they have any on sale that you like, and if you have paddock stands, take your wheels to them and have it done there.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I have usually taken the wheels off the bike and new tires to a motorcycle shop and paid the whatever fee per tire usually $20-30 and be done with it. I REALLY want to start changing them on my own though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well luckily for me a new cycle gear just opened in madison so I'll give em a call but I'm also going to start accumulating the equipment necessary to change em myself next time.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
One opened up over in Brookfield as well. Let me know if they do it or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts