Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm a fairly new rider (2 1/2 mo.) and I just replaced both the tires on my 99 SV650. I went from the stock metz that were on the bike to the Dunlop B220. I didn't change the tire size, the bike was dropped but that was at about 10mph about 2 months ago. Now it seems as though the rear of the bike doesn't turn with the front of the bike, like it's lagging behind. I check the tire pressure regularly and it's normal. How do I check the alignment or should I just take it to a shop?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
You can look down the chain to see if it aligned. The rollers should be straight. Also most bikes have notches cut in the side of the swing arm you can count them and make sure they are on the same notches.

·
Official Forum Killjoy
3,642 Posts
I have seen differant manufacturers have slightly differant "rolling" dimeters of tires even with the same size.

As an example when I switched from Dunlops to Michelins there was about a 2mm diferance in teh inflated dimeter of the tire.

Another thing to consider is the profile. Some tires have a triangular profile whereas some have a more rounded one.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
tire profile does make a difference in how the bike rides like ducman851 said.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure that it's just the tires. I checked the datum's on the swing arm again and they were still in the right spot.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The Metz4 rear has a tendency to get squared off (flat in the middle) especially if you do a lot of commuting. The contrast with any new tire can be dramatic. Ususally, though, it feels like the bike is easier to tip-in on corners with new tires as the "ridges" on the sides of the rear are now gone. If the new tires have a more tirangular profile, this will be even more pronounced.

It would take a pretty large alignment issue for you to notice. And then it would be worse turning one way compared to another. The tick marks on the swingarm are pretty close, but look at how the chain and rear sprocket are aligned. If you have a rear stand, turn the rear wheel and watch this alignment as the wheel goes around.

Does it seem to do this more in one direction than the other? Are you riding on really crowned roads?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That comment about the ridge's sounds right. I rode it again and it felt fine in the corners, no abnormal vibrations in the corner or anything. Though it does feel a bit diffrent when leaning it over I'm assuming that it's just the new tire's if I had alignment problems then I would be seeing some vibration in the corners. I did have it on a rear stand to adjust and lube the chain and the chain and sprocket seemed fine. They looked straight and I didn't notice any excessive run out, but then again I didn't use a dial indicator either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts