Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is a '99 CBR600f4 with 7100 miles...I have had the bike for about a year now...when I bought it, it had 5900 on it....anyway, when I take off in first gear and get on it and shift into second, once in awhile it makes a mild clunking noise when shifting.....I've tried it quite a few times...sometimes it makes it and other times it doesn't....Could it possible be that when I shift fast the clutch doesn't fully engage? Anyone experience this?...The local Honda shop isn't my place of choice to take it to...so if I have to take it to be looked at, it's 100 miles one way....Just want to make sure there is a problem, before I make the trip....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Second gear takes the majority of the beatings in most sportbikes. First gen R6's had horrible transmission problems with 2nd. Have you tried changing oil brands? I've heard good things about Mobil 1 full synthetic (car oil) doing wonders for transmissions. I used it in my SVS, and while I never had a problem with my tranny, it did shift a bit smoother with Mobil than conventional 10w40.

Sucks that the local shop isn't in your good books, but you might want to have a professional ear have a listen. It's a quick, 3 hour ride :).

Good luck,

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd say it's perfectly normal when I compare your description to the cbr's and hornet's I've ridden.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My F3 will clunk like that when it's not a 'good shift'.

Most of the time when I'm podunking around, mis-revving (well, mis TIMING), I'll get a clunk like that.

Strangely, when I'm pushing the bike hard off the line, I never get that clunk. Because I'm shifting as fast as possible!

Does it 'clunk' ALL the time?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noltez said:
Second gear takes the majority of the beatings in most sportbikes. First gen R6's had horrible transmission problems with 2nd. Have you tried changing oil brands? I've heard good things about Mobil 1 full synthetic (car oil) doing wonders for transmissions. I used it in my SVS, and while I never had a problem with my tranny, it did shift a bit smoother with Mobil than conventional 10w40.

Sucks that the local shop isn't in your good books, but you might want to have a professional ear have a listen. It's a quick, 3 hour ride :).

Good luck,
Sorry, I haven't been here for a couple of days.....When I first got the bike I changed the oil and considered full synthetic, but was advised by the good Honda shop to use semi-synthetic oil...due to clutch slippage problems....I went with Bel-Ray Semi-synthetic 10w-40....didn't really notice the problem more before or after the oil change....The noise is so random that I wasn't sure if something is letting go or my shifting is a bit lacking....Thanks for the input...I might just take the ride to be on the safe side....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LightWeaver said:
My F3 will clunk like that when it's not a 'good shift'.

Most of the time when I'm podunking around, mis-revving (well, mis TIMING), I'll get a clunk like that.

Strangely, when I'm pushing the bike hard off the line, I never get that clunk. Because I'm shifting as fast as possible!

Does it 'clunk' ALL the time?
That's kinda what I'm thinking that I don't always get a clean quick shift and I get the noise.....It doesn't happen all the time, so that is why I was concerned...Thanks..It helps that the sound might be common and that I'm not being paraniod!

·
Registered
22 Posts
All the Jap four have their achilles heel
Kawasaki is the exhausts (they can rot in no time)
Yamaha's is the brakes
Suzuki is the general finish
Honda has always been the gearbox ( clunk clunk ) every mate who has a CBR6 has had clunky gearboxes but nothing really serious

1 - 7 of 7 Posts