Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most know the story, but I'll give a quick version for those who don't.

I was hit by another driver and filed a claim. The claim has been approved and my bike is sitting down at the dealership waiting to get fixed. An insurance adjuster already went out and approved all the repairs at the dealership.

They're going to be sending me a check out this week for the repairs.

Is it legal to just take the check from the insurance company and fix it myself? I know I'll probably owe the dealership money for the estimate and storage of the bike for a week, which I have no problem with.

I'm just wondering if the dealership is going to cause a big fuss over dealing with the insurance company, storing the bike, and giving it an estimate.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Spektrum-SA1 said:
Most know the story, but I'll give a quick version for those who don't.

I was hit by another driver and filed a claim. The claim has been approved and my bike is sitting down at the dealership waiting to get fixed. An insurance adjuster already went out and approved all the repairs at the dealership.

They're going to be sending me a check out this week for the repairs.

Is it legal to just take the check from the insurance company and fix it myself? I know I'll probably owe the dealership money for the estimate and storage of the bike for a week, which I have no problem with.

I'm just wondering if the dealership is going to cause a big fuss over dealing with the insurance company, storing the bike, and giving it an estimate.
Talk to the dealership. Chances are you are going to have to negotiate with them and give them some money.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
AFAIK it is legal. You get an estimate and that is what the insurance Co. will pay to you, then its up to you how you fix it.

There are tons of posts of people here that get the estimates from the stealerships, fix the bikes themselves, save a lot of money and spend that money on bike accesories.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Yes it is legal. I did this with my wrangler when I got rear-ended. Estimate for $1200, $200 bumper off ebay, some bondo and paint, call it good and pocket the rest.

·
Registered
183 Posts
insurance question

In the past for me, when I have filed a claim on an automobile the check was made payable to me and the body shop. I asked and they told me that it was made to both parties so that the vehicle would be repaired and the money not spent on something else. I think that it depends on your insurance company. But like said before, call and ask.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pretty sure its completly legal. 2 reasons the insurance company is going to think: Why should we care what the person does with the money after we give it to them, if we don't think the repair was worth that much we wouldnt have given them that much. The other reason is, when a vehicle is totalled, they give you a check, its up to you if you buy another vehicle or not, and they even give you the option of buying your car at the junk yard price.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yes, it is legal, and common practice. If the dealership imposes fees for storage and for the insurance estimate, as they are entitled and will certainly do, that is a separate issue for which you owe them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Süsser Tod said:
save a lot of money and spend that money on bike accesories.
I'm thinking more along the lines of fix it myself and put the remaining towards a second bike... like that tiller I've had my eye on :egrin

·
old member
13,079 Posts
You might want to make sure that the check is made out only to you. Sometimes when an adjuster looks at a vehicle in a shop, they'll make the check out to you and the shop expecting that you'll sign it over to the shop.

In any case, as long as the check is made out to you, it's perfectly legal to do whatever you want with it although the shop may expect something for their trouble.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Oops. Mods please delete this post.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
It is absolutely, without a doubt, 100 percent legal. For them to force you to get repairs, or get them done at a particular shop, is 100 percent illegal. Just tell them to make the check out to YOU only. If they refuse, mention something about a lawyer.

The shop will probably charge you a small fee. Most likely, less than $100.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The insurance policy is a contract between you and the insurance company....it's not a three way with the dealership, unless it's specifically spelled out on the check. You should be a-ok with doing your own stuff.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I'd better hurry up and call them people to make sure the check is made out to me and only me.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts