Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2000 blue YZF 600R in perfect condition. It has a jet kit, K&N filter, and a full race scorched titanium Micron exhaust. The bike has 6,200 miles on it, never been down. Guy is asking $4900.00 for it. What would a fair offer be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
u could prob get an r6 for around that, a sick one for about another 5-600 bucks and they look and perform much better. the 600r looks lame to an r6. just check out the classifieds here.

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1- I'd say 4300-4400 but it all depends on how bad you want it and how bad he wants to sell it. If someone is desperate that's not a terrible price but if he can't find buyers he'll come down.

·
Registered
348 Posts
erniespts14 said:
u could prob get an r6 for around that, a sick one for about another 5-600 bucks and they look and perform much better. the 600r looks lame to an r6.
Not everyone wants an r6- some people prefer a bike that's actually built for the street as opposed to the track. The 600r is far more comfortable and gives up very little in terms of power and handling, especially on the street. I'll be the first to agree that the r6 is far better looking, but I chose the 600r because comfort was a number one priority. If I had to make the same choice again I'd still choose the 600r.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Captal said:
Not everyone wants an r6- some people prefer a bike that's actually built for the street as opposed to the track. The 600r is far more comfortable and gives up very little in terms of power and handling, especially on the street. I'll be the first to agree that the r6 is far better looking, but I chose the 600r because comfort was a number one priority. If I had to make the same choice again I'd still choose the 600r.
I agree with you 100% I have mine and still like the R6 but would pic mine over it anyday. I don't do track days so it does'nt matter.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
A good one in asking how long has said person been riding is a sensible question before saying ones view on the 600r. Also if I were to loose my '97 600r & since they are still avaliable on the floors I would be another one & NOT the R6.

I have a Honda 929 & 954 yet the 600r gets long runs to grunt runs, around town stuff & is the first bike out come Spring & last to be put away in the Autumn as it is such a good all around riding bike & yet has speed & stopping power.

My preference has been cafe racers & since sportikes took over the lean forward riding position has been my style in comparison to a regular riding position.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I would not touch that bike. First, you don't know who set up the jet kit. Could run like shit. Second, if the guy wanted to do all that to a 600R, he probably rode the crap out of it because what he really wanted was an R6.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
That's high for a 2000. I'll sell you my 2002 for that if you're in the Colorado area. Seriously.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You could probably talk them down to say 4300~4500. The YZF is a great bike, you're going to love it. :dblthumb

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I agree with the assessment that the 600R is a great street bike. It's comfortable for more than a ride to pose at the local bar. It's got MORE low end grunt below 10k than the R6 (although it is heavier, so it evens out), it's not nearly as twitchy and fatigueing as an R6 on city roads.
It's brakes are identical to the R6, and to me, the styling is just fine. I do like the dual headlight look, but the single light on the 600R is alright. From the side or rear, the 600R gives up nothing at all to the R6.
Plus, you won't see a hundred of them a day, all just like yours (you individual, you) like you will on an R6.

The downside is a more limited aftermarket. All the go fast goodies are there, but just less of them to choose from. And the 600R is still carburated. Put EFI on it, and it'd be nothing short of a street version of the R6 (which is a track bike with lights).
Real riding on real streets- the 600R is simply one of the best sport bikes out there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
I agree with the assessment that the 600R is a great street bike. It's comfortable for more than a ride to pose at the local bar. It's got MORE low end grunt below 10k than the R6 (although it is heavier, so it evens out), it's not nearly as twitchy and fatigueing as an R6 on city roads.
It's brakes are identical to the R6, and to me, the styling is just fine. I do like the dual headlight look, but the single light on the 600R is alright. From the side or rear, the 600R gives up nothing at all to the R6.
Plus, you won't see a hundred of them a day, all just like yours (you individual, you) like you will on an R6.

The downside is a more limited aftermarket. All the go fast goodies are there, but just less of them to choose from. And the 600R is still carburated. Put EFI on it, and it'd be nothing short of a street version of the R6 (which is a track bike with lights).
Real riding on real streets- the 600R is simply one of the best sport bikes out there.
Exactly! The 600R is an awesome bike, and I own both. I like the extra weight compared to the R6 simply because the bike feels more stable in the corners. The bike makes a awesome streetbike and can carve the twisties equally as well as the other 600ss.

PS- this is not me, and is used for illustration purposes only. Picture is hosted by Kent from www.palomarpics.net

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hey Tony, did you notice any dragging with those HH brake pads? I just put a set all around on my 600R and the front drags some. It also grinds and squeals some on the front. I'm guessing because they're sintered. OEM was much quieter. The Double H's have great stopping power, but sound like a$$.

Oh yeah, sorry for the........

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
Hey Tony, did you notice any dragging with those HH brake pads? I just put a set all around on my 600R and the front drags some. It also grinds and squeals some on the front. I'm guessing because they're sintered. OEM was much quieter. The Double H's have great stopping power, but sound like a$$.

Oh yeah, sorry for the........
I haven't experienced any drag. Did you wipe down your rotors before you put them in? They're generally really sqeaky, and do take a while to heat up before you can really feel them bite compared to the stockers. But I do like the way they feel, especially after installing the SS lines with them. Both the YZF and R6 sqeak, only when I'm coming to low speed stop though. :dblthumb

·
Registered
3 Posts
[i paid 3800 for my 05 with only 2500 miles on it with a vance & hines exhaust and quick excelleration chain and sproket k&n air filter so i say no its not a good deal you can find cheaper keep looking bro

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That sounds like a good buy marine for now you have a good bike for in town riding, but also good for hwy use. I feel after all these yrs I should stiffen up, the saddle as it is to soft, along with similiar stiffening of the suspension front & rear, BUT have a Honda 929 & 954 for hwy use. My 600r is for around town or short runs to & from a city close to us. I thought of selling it, but it is easier on fuel then the 929 or 954 & fuel these days is a bit high as you might(??) have noticed AND still going up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts