Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
if it's in good condition and it's not your first bike then do what the other's have said and go for it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
blue was in '04 right? if so, that's a good deal, if it's an '03, go for lower 6K's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its my first bike (flame on!)

and I think I will be getting it. I don't need anyone's input, i've heard it all. I will be taking the msf course on the 7th and get into more advanced course. Hopefully getting some track time as well.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
mikehsu said:
I don't need anyone's input, i've heard it all.

In that case, not much to say but good luck champ. Have you ridden bikes before at all? Just curious. If not have you driven a manual car? again just curious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I drive a m3 and it was my first car.

They are probably 2 way different beasts, but just trying to show my maturity and responsibility. I have a clean record, and I am riding it in my neighborhood until im 100% comfortable.

Come on guys, stop with the negative comments about not killing myself. I have heard many horror noob stories and bad accidents. I know the risk. In fact, my friend's grand mother just kills a cyclist couple of days ago in Olny, Maryland. I do not know the exact details.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've done many events with my car (autox) and will going to summit point for track time sometimes this summer. I am planning on doing that as well witht he bike in the future. I also have very repsonsible friend and his parents who rides bikes through all there life. They will give me pointers, they live in my neighborhood.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
what i dont get with the whole "start small" argument is why do people really give a shit. I mean when you give smart ass remarks like "gluck not killing yourself" etc...you obviously dont give a shit....so why worry about it. That was "A"...."B" is the fact that an EX500 will still go triple digits.....what are we talking about?? if an idiot will take fast corners or try wheelies he will do it on an EX500 or a CBR1000RR or a Busa.....nature makes idiots guys.....responsibility and common sense makes good riders....Ive said this 100 times if i said it 1 time I started on a 1000cc bike when i was 17 and i am now 29, i rode Moto X bikes since i was 6 and have been in 1 road accident. I have never understood the point of beating a person up over their choices. Not one person has stood at a dealership with a picket sign, instead of wasting your time preaching on the net why not make a real difference, why not go to the dealerships with signs like "Literbikes KILL" or "No More SQUIDS" i mean it is a message a lot of you believe in with passion that burns inside you. Make it a life mission to have laws passed that keep new riders off SS bikes. That'll work :rolleyes. How about this for the answer to this post...

Sounds like a good deal man, you sound like a smart guy enrolling in the MSF course and learning to ride. I know you will hear about the gear and im sure you have planned for that too. Enjoy your newest habit bro!!

Welcome to SBN by the way...try and ignore the background noise on here it gets loud from time to time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reckless01 said:
what i dont get with the whole "start small" argument is why do people really give a shit. I mean when you give smart ass remarks like "gluck not killing yourself" etc...you obviously dont give a shit....so why worry about it. That was "A"...."B" is the fact that an EX500 will still go triple digits.....what are we talking about?? if an idiot will take fast corners or try wheelies he will do it on an EX500 or a CBR1000RR or a Busa.....nature makes idiots guys.....responsibility and common sense makes good riders....Ive said this 100 times if i said it 1 time I started on a 1000cc bike when i was 17 and i am now 29, i rode Moto X bikes since i was 6 and have been in 1 road accident. I have never understood the point of beating a person up over their choices. Not one person has stood at a dealership with a picket sign, instead of wasting your time preaching on the net why not make a real difference, why not go to the dealerships with signs like "Literbikes KILL" or "No More SQUIDS" i mean it is a message a lot of you believe in with passion that burns inside you. Make it a life mission to have laws passed that keep new riders off SS bikes. That'll work :rolleyes. How about this for the answer to this post...

Sounds like a good deal man, you sound like a smart guy enrolling in the MSF course and learning to ride. I know you will hear about the gear and im sure you have planned for that too. Enjoy your newest habit bro!!

Welcome to SBN by the way...try and ignore the background noise on here it gets loud from time to time.
Thank you!!

Yep, I bought a good leather jacket, will be getting helmet, pants and leahter gloves very soon.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
You sound like a guy who is responsible, respectful of the power, and ready for the privileage of riding a cycle....just remember to respect the bike and youll be ok. Soak up all the knowledge your MSF instructors have to offer, listen to the veterans you will ride with (veteran riders that is but DO respect veterans :) ) and allways ride like the cars on the road are all out to get you. Anotherwords be VERY alert at all times. Youll be ok bro just ride and LEARN all you can learn. Learn your bike from top to bottom, what tire pressure it has, chain tension, oil level, brake life left, etc....learn the way it reacts to sharp turning, hard braking, hard accelerations etc...this way you wont have to learn how fast itll stop or GO when you REALLY need to know.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i have peeps who respect the lil cruisers in class, and they crash all the time, w/ 30hp on a closed course. a race bike w/ headlights sounds like a great first bike........../shrug

but whatever, dude doesn't wanna listen, i'll find somebody else who will. good luck, don't die.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
funny there it is again....someone who apparently cares about nothing more than making their point heard, validating your point at whos expense? i wish we had some real proof that actually could validate your point %riders%supersport bikes%crashes%fatalitys% try this search. I just still dont get why you people insist on that shit.....and some are the same people who are pissed off when jehovas wittness's or ANY belief pushes their beliefs on YOU!! pot > kettle > black?? I mean what the hell guys let the guy do what he wants, the truth is he is going to anyways....why waste a second of your life typing to see your own words??

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hmmm.......ask you ins. agent about full coverage for an SS bike? which is higher for your age group? an SS or cruiser bike?

hmm.........the highest % of death is amonth 16-30y.o., do they mostly ride cruisers or SS bikes?

waste is all relative, some see the light and use their brains, other's their ego's..........like i said, good luck, don't die.......and i mean it from my heart.....lol

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Reckless01 said:
Ive said this 100 times if i said it 1 time I started on a 1000cc bike when i was 17 and i am now 29, i rode Moto X bikes since i was 6 and have been in 1 road accident.
I think what you actually meant to say was "I started on a 50-80cc bike then, after 11 years of experience on that and other, more powerful motorycles, I jumped to a machine that had at most 10-20 more horsepower than a modern 600, along with more relaxed steering geometry, less overpowered brakes, etc." I mean really, someone who's spent most of their life riding, especially if that time was spent on twitchy two stroke racing machines, buying what would today be considered a sport-touring bike is a little different than someone who's never ridden before hopping on a racing motorcycle that's faster than your 1000 in every way except roll-ons.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
d'OH!

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Ok well the fact remains that i started on a 1000cc bike (it was a Ninja 1000R by the way :) old school) it was nowhere close to the powerless sled an EX500 is so please offer a good point.

Want more people who at any time you want can meet and talk to all you gotta do is ask me....here ya go

My brother John, started on a 900RR 5 years ago now on a 1000RR still doing good

My brother Anthony Started on a ZX7R and is A-OK 3 years later

My brother David Started a LONG time ago on a ZX11 but is ok, now has a new ZX10R

ME of course LOL

My buddy Robert, started on a GSXR750 98' and is doing just fine 5 years or so later on his GSXR1000

Scott started on an f4i and is rode it till he sold it cause he wanted a b***** boat

Will started on a YZF600R 01' rode it to DEATH and never crashed sold it in 03'to pursue quads

Oak (we call him Oak cause his last name is Oakly) started on an 02' 954RR and is still riding safely 3 years later.

Tom started on a 99 ZX6R and is still riding along its been about 4 years

Jerrod started on a 93' 900RR in 95' and is now on a 02' GSXR 1000 no crashes that werent on a track

Randy started on a CBR600 F3 and he is now on a ZX9R but he has had no accidents to date.

I wish you guys could sit down and realize that it is not the BIKE that will kill you, its irresponsibility, and doing things you shouldnt be doing on a bike that will. Having a bike with 150RWHP dont mean that you will go off readlights using it all up. Hell that # is @ ________RPM in a lab somewhere not off a redlight in traffic.....lighten up and remember, an EX500 can do 120mph or more depending....show me the difference between the 600RR going 120mph and the EX500 going 120mph?? is there any? i mean the guy in the EX500 is obviously a better smarter rider right?? i mean he does have the smaller bike so that makes him more responsible. dont it?? :confused: make a point that makes sense and you will get my attn, until then its all background noise on an otherwise good forum.

take it sleazy guys and remember, if you see an EX500...hes a responsible rider :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 50 Posts