Sport Bikes banner

Is this a good deal and what should i look for?

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  taziscool 
#1 ·
Well i'm new to motorcycles and am looking to get my 1st one. I have been reading the forums here for several months. I know all about starting small so please don't flam me on that. I wanted a 90's 600 prefer Honda CBR but i'll get what i can.

The deal i found was a 2000 Kawasaki zx-6 600 2000 miles on it for $2000. It also comes with 2 helms and to jackets.

So i was wondering how good of a deal is this and whats the resale value and what should i look for that might tell me if something is wrong. The bike itself looked of it was dirty so i'm guessing thats a sign that is wasnt taken care of much and the back wheel looks like it had less tread then the front. The grips where also pretty worn down. The bike also had a muffler and blinkers which where the only things changed.

If theres anything else you can tell me to look for or ask about please post.

Thanks,
Brian

#5 ·
sounds too good to be true to me. a worn out tire and grips with only 2000 miles on the bike?

furthermore, if it really does only have 2000 miles, why are they selling it for only $2000 and throwing 2 lids and jackets to boot? sounds fishy

#8 · (Edited)
Yea it kind of sounds to good to be true but then again my friend just got a nice long bed v8 ram truck for 10k cuz the dude thought it was a v6 :D he can easily take that and sell it for 15k.

Now back to the bike Thanks Life for the link. I figured there might be something wrong about it and i'm going to go back and check it out. I am hoping to bring my sisters ex with me that knows alot about bikes so he can check it out for me, and or my friend so i can ride it back and test ride it.

The bike was for sell in a small town at a bike shop that they were selling it for him. The person we talked to also said it was in perfect mechanical condition. The only reason i could see him selling it for that cheap is that either that he needs quick cash or hes going oversea's or something.

I'm going to try to get the VIN# for it, but how can i check it?

#9 ·
+1 on all the other posts..... better do some research first

#11 ·
You can check the vin# through carfax. Is this bike on ebay? If so be careful of a scam. If you can go see it in person definitly do it. See if it starts, runs good, etc. Would agree on taking someone who knows something about bikes. Does sound fishy but i've heard rare storys where people are just trying to get rid of things, (ie: divorce, death, etc)

Good luck

#12 ·
BS...see it in person if possible, if not ask for VIN and run it. Scams are everywhere now, cycletrader/ebay are most prevalent. Good luck and remember "if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it probably is."

#13 ·
Yea i have already saw it in person and as far as i know its not on e-bay or anything. The reason i was thinking it hasn't sold yet that the fact is that its in a VERY small town and he prob just put it at that bike shop to try to sell it.

I didn't inspect the bike or ask that many question at the time because i thought i couldn't get the bike. I am trying to take someone along with me to look at it, so that should help.

#14 ·
I got my 2001 F4i for $2,000 ;) but I had my friend take a look at it since he has more experience with motorcycles. Once he gave me the ok, I bought it. :bj If you need someone to look at it for you, I can ask him. He lives in Arlington, so as long as it isn't too far away :2fingers

#15 ·
This reminds me of a story my mom told me about a friend in highschool who bought a Ferrari with 200 miles for 10 grand off of a rich old lady who wanted to get rid of it. Apparently her husband bought it before he died and when he died she wanted nothing to do with the car. If only cars that cheap happened more often... lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.