Sport Bikes banner

Is there something wrong with the my small bike or is it just me (turbelance)?

719 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SqDancerLynn1 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2003 Ninja 250 about 6 weeks ago for my first bike. It was in perfect condition with only 2500 miles. I've just had time to ride it these past 2 weekends and put around 400 miles on it. The problem I'm having is anytime I go about 60+ there is a lot of turbelance, especially if its a bit windy out with the bike sligthly going side to side. I have no prior experience with motorcycles so my question is this normal or maybe I need to get my tires checked, balanced, or suspension etc...? I'm taking my MSF course this weekend and will have a full tune-up done hopefully next weekend. So, just asking if its like that on all bikes or just maybe cause this is a small 250 and ligther than the regular 600cc bikes. Also, I know its my first bike and I love it but I could use more power to pass cars. :)

Edit: I got Sidi Vertebra Boots, Joe Rocket Gloves, HJC helmet, Joe Rocket Jacket but use my regular leather jacket cause it fits better until I can get my 2 piece Barnacle street race suit =)

#2 ·
nothing out of the ordinary, your kinda out in the open kinda like my SV no biggie. bikes aren't like cars where your insulated from the elemants. even my VFR is kinda windy.

enjoy the MSF.

#3 ·
Nothing outta the ordinary. When i had my 250, any wind would send me to the opposite side of the road (sense a little sarcasm).

The 250 will have trouble at any speed past about 60mph. It doesnt have enough power to quickly overtake cars, and if there is any wind it makes it that much more difficult. The one thing i hated about that bike was that you would be cruising on the freeway, and the RPM's would be screaming! Like 10k all day long.......EEEEEEEEEEEEE! Real annoying if you ask me, it needs another gear or two.

Excellent first bike choice though, im glad i started that way, so im sure you will too :D

#4 ·
Yep ditto here--my 250 was the same way and it was screaming like a demon all the time!! just tuck in and enjoy the ride :)

#5 ·
You will get used to it.

As far as the "screaming goes". Changing the gearing will help. With the wind, all it takes is more practice.

When you gets used to it, you'll find that a 250 will do anything you need it to do legally and will outperform the larger displacement bikes in the turns.

Changing the countersprocket from a 14 to 15 tooth will lower the rpms by roughly a 1,000.

Check this out: http://ninja250.kingston.net/speed.html

Also check out: ninja250.net

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.