Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, hoping someone can answer my question.

ive been thinking about my next bike, and in this town busa's go for a pretty good price (used 04-05)

i know the busa is one of the fastest bikes ever made.

but if your easy on the throttle is it possible to make it around without hitting light speed?

what about making the gearing higher?

i like the idea of the power, the HUUUUUUUGE aftermarket, the comfert, and i happen to like the looks of the bike also.

i was talking to a buddy (doeset own one) and he said that there SUPER heavy, and that he wanted one untill he sat on it, but it feels SOOOO heavy that he decided he dident want one.

what are some other things that make this bike a challenge to ride?

is it able to go trough corners? (not like a 600, but fast enough to keep up in the corners, or is there no real way?)

i know im not that experenced, and i have a moped compared to the busa

but i dont want it for its god like speed.

lol, i guess ill get flamed, but we will see:rolleyes

thx:cheers

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
They are not THAT heavy

They corner pretty well, being that they are not really designed for the track 100%. You can EASILY drag a knee on one, though.

And they are quite comfy for cruising around on, and can make EXCELLENT sport touring bikes. I can easily see myself getting one in the near future if i start going on more long trips.

But as a second bike moving up from a 500? Not the best choice, no.

:)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know what you mean

from 55hp and 450lbs bike

to a 170hp and 600lb bike.....

if i got the busa....i think id "open it up" (as it rev it over like....8k) maybe once a mth!!
lol

im not dumb when it comes to this

but i wanna know if the power of the bike is a HUGE challenge to manage, or is it possible to live with the beast for every day riding

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Comparing the Busa to most liter bikes really isn't a good comparison. If your buddy that sat on a Busa was used to liter bikes or 600's, then yeah, the Busa will feel quite a bit heavier. But the liter bikes are light for a reason (racing), and the Busa obviousely isn't made for that. Yes, the Busa can handle the turns well enough for most the needs of 98% of the riders on the street.

The weight of the Busa has never really been an issue for me. I actually think it's stability in the corners feels a lot better to me than a lot of the smaller bikes that really want to "fall" into the corners.

Any bike can be tame as long as you can keep out of the throttle. The trouble is making yourself stay out of the throttle once you get a taste of it.

Most people will definately agree that the reason the Busa is not for an inexperienced rider is because it is more "unforgiving" than some bikes with less HP. That extra power and torque, combined a little bit with the weight, tends to make bad situations sneak up on riders when they aren't expecting them.

Like kevinwilly said, they make great sport touring bikes because of the comfort and power they have. That is what I mostly use mine for. I can ride the bike all day long without getting very sore or tired. It's great for that.

Oh, and nobody really gears it higher. There's really no need for that.

So in answer to your question about living with it as a daily driver, yeah of course. The power isn't at all a chalange to manage if you can control yourself. But that's where the real chalange is.

:cheers

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im really glad you chimed in.
and dident flame me.

i want a bike that has EVERYTHING, not just some of the things i like

more and more i find that each bike i want has parts of the "perfect" bike.

the busa has almost everything (other then i wouldent make this bike into a wheelie monster that i want, becase i think its to powerful for that) and it is a lil heavy, but i agree, that make is better in ways, becase your not getting blown all over.

thx for not flaming me, ill try and get a test ride on one when i have the cash and see how if feels for me.
ill prob go sit on one soon and see how it feels.

comfort, power, looks, huge aftermarket the bike has it all

thx a ton :cheers

·
Banned
3,660 Posts
I actually have been thinking of this bike as well. Before I picked up the gixxer I was thinking of getting one of these things and still am. I'd save the cash, personally, until I could buy one outright but that's how I normally do it anyways.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Actually, the Busa is pretty hard to wheelie.... it's got a longer swingarm than most bikes, and it's a bit heavier.

The only one i have any experience with was lowered an inch or two, though (my buddy that has one drag races it). So maybe at the stock height it's easier.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
kevinwilly said:
Actually, the Busa is pretty hard to wheelie.... it's got a longer swingarm than most bikes, and it's a bit heavier.

The only one i have any experience with was lowered an inch or two, though (my buddy that has one drag races it). So maybe at the stock height it's easier.

Well, I've got over 22,000 miles on my bike and I've had to replace my fork seals once.

What I'll say is that the Busa isn't hard to wheelie. It's hard to wheelie well.

It's got enough power to wheelie, but because of the weight and size of the bike, it's not a great bike for balancing because the front usually has to be up really high. Plus all that extra weight does put a strain on the fork seals when the front end hits down.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You could drive a F-15 on the freeway and cause a traffic jam if you drive it to slow, point is you can drive anything to far one way or another, I'd think more about the weight, looks & handling, the busa is set more towards a sport touring bike then a SS

!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol with THAT much power to the rear wheel, it not being to much of a wheelie bike is a good thing!

id love to get one, let me type up some local ad's i found in the paper today

here a "low miles" one

05 busa limited edition immaculat cond. low low miles 1900mi, yosh pipes must see $9250

then the 04's are around $7.5-8k

the chepest one i think was $7.5

but most of them are all chromed and such

so im sure i could get one with $7k!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mac 1 said:
You could drive a F-15 on the freeway and cause a traffic jam if you drive it to slow, point is you can drive anything to far one way or another, I'd think more about the weight, looks & handling, the busa is set more towards a sport touring bike the a SS

took the words out of my mouth

i dont like the SS bikes!
i ride everyday on the regular streets, i dont REALLY need something thats amazing in the corners.

some thing thats got power, looks comfort etc etc etc would fit me better

ie, why i like the idea of the busa

ill have to check one out, sit on em, we shall see

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
$268 for a year of full coverage from State Farm, but at age 21 and living in Florida, you shouldn't expect anything nearly that great. Sorry.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Over on the Busa forums, they have a way to get cheap coverage....

My buddy pays like 650 a year for full coverage, and he WAS 23 when i last talked to him about what he paid.

Some companies don't classify it as a supersport bike, so you can get away with getting it cheaper.

And they go NEW for 9300 as leftoever 06 models, just FYI. You can find deals on them. :)

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
kevinwilly said:
Some companies don't classify it as a supersport bike, so you can get away with getting it cheaper.
Yeah. I had a Honda VTX1300 that I got rid of when I got my Busa. I didn't pay any more or any less. They just based the price off of the number of cc the bike has. That's how it worked for me.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TwistedGray said:
In FL you don't need insurance ;)
lol, ive tryed my luck long enough with that my friend

its been almost a year to date sence i got my bike, with not a single day of insurance.....:squid

with that kinda BEAST id need insurance

i was REALLY hoping that the bike isent labeled a SS like you guys mentioned
that would prob be the only way i could afford it with my age!

thx for all the info.

im looking up videos and reviews now, to see what ppl say about it

·
Registered
597 Posts
fellow O-town busa rider here

Busa is a great bike. I bought it because if was heavier, lots of modification potential and less wheelie potential. Fast as heck and comfortable. If you do decide to get one let me know. We can meet up and talk Busa shiot.
later
B

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i will get one, but its going to be awhile. prob around 6mths
i dont really have anyone to ride with, so if you wanna ride sometime just shot me a pm

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I love my busa. I think it's one of the most versatile bikes out there. Can it corner? Hell yeah. The only thing holding it back is your skill level. Of course the 600/1000's handle easier in corners due to their lightweights but you will appreciate the busa's rock solid handling on high-speed sweepers!

What kind of riding do you do? Are you a twistie-junky (seeing that you are in Orlando I have an idea your answer is "no")? Are you a drag king? Is sport-touring more what you have in mind? Is it basically just going to be a commuter bike? The busa can be the answer to all of those questions. It's that good. Of course there are bikes that will answer specific questions better but I guarantee that they can't answer all the questions as well as the bus can (there are a few notable exceptions here: ZX-12/14, FJR1300, K1200R).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts