Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving work today, I noticed my F3 sounded suspiciously quieter than normal. Then later on, it becames much louder and throatier sounding than normal, but there is no exhaust leak. I can't tell really tell any performance effects, but does this sound like my muffler is shot? I'm waiting to see the difference in gas mileage.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
someone may have put something in your muffler

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Repacking the muffler is a much cheaper solution than replacing it. As long as the canister is sound, the packing is the only thing to "wear" out.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theres 18K miles on the bike,.. what is the function of the muffler package, just to quiet the sound?

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
yep. There's a wire mesh cylinder around which there's a fiberglass packing. That helps mufle the sound, but gets worn out after a while. Though some stock ones don't have packing and only use baffles. Not sure about the f3.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a muzzy slip on that was on the bike when i bought it... how much does the packing cost and does it make a difference besides the sound?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I couldn't find a damn thing on muzzy, they're site sucks ass.
Two brothers repacking is only 19.95

edit: Of course that doesn't count repopriveting the end cap back on such.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can buy muffler packing at any shop that does a decent business in aftermarket pipes/cans. There is no reason to buy branded packing, all any of it is is long-strand fiberglass cloth. It runs less than 8 bucks most places, and if you can't find it locally you can order it from most online sites. Ridegear.com and Kneedraggers both carry it.

The packing kit will just consist of a small roll of the fiberglass cloth. Here's a PDF link from UpOnOne that details repacking a muffler:

http://www.uponone.com/viewhowtos37.php

Some cans have caps that are held on with screws, others with rivets. If it's riveted on you have to drill out the old ones and then rivet new ones in when you're done. Home Depot sells rivet guns for about $15 and boxes of rivets for $4.95, find em in the tool aisle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts