Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just figuring out my new to me 01 cbr600F4i. I hear a rattle coming from the bike when Im cruisin at about 5,000 to 6,000 Rpms. If I accelerate the noise goes away if I shift into a higher gear the noise stops untill im at 5,000. Ill pay attention to the noise tonight for a better description. Ive never owned a sportbike before maybe its normal dont know?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since it's a F4i I'll guess the CCT is what you are hearing . I just got an APE manual CCT and installed it. Noise gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know why the noise is mostly at 5,000 to 6,000 rpms? Does It mean the cam chain is lose at those rpms?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man, I am glad to hear your problem (well, not glad you have it) because I just bought an '02 600 F4i and I have the EXACT SAME issue. I don't feel any performance issues but as CASHFLOW911 stated, there is a strong vibration (mine isn't too much of a rattle as cashflow911 stated though) between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM's. If I accelerate up to 6,500 RPM or decelerate down to 4,500 RPM';s the vibration goes away. Is the CCT known to make noise at certain ranges of RPM or would we hear it all the time?

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, it only makes noise around 5-6ish. Its definately the problem. I am going to do mine this week or weekend and will take pics during the process. This forum has helped me out in the past, just wanna give a little back ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
As others have mentioned, the noise is due to the cam chain tensioner. Mine also rattles between 5000-5500 rpms. I have a APE tensioner that the previous owner gave with the bike but I'll wait until the noise gets worse or maybe this winter to install it. I've heard good and bad things about the APE; just don't overtighten it.

Mechanically, the CCT thing isn't really an issue. That's probably one reason why Honda hasn't done anything about it since it is a very common problem. It's just an annoying sound when you're cruising at that RPM.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
The CCT keeps pressure on the Cam Chain and if you let it get worst, the chain can skip a tooth and then it's whole world of hurtin'.

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
Mine is going out on my 01 F4i. Does the exact thing you said.

Mine doesn't rattle too badly but my question is will it do any other damage if I postpone replacing it until it starts getting louder?

·
Registered
101 Posts
From what I hear from most people, its just an annoyance. Most say it doesnt loosen enough to skip a tooth but im sure there's a slight slim chance. I installed the APE and didnt tighten it good enough i guess cuz i hear it again. It doesnt bother me anymore so im not gonna worry about it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hear the same thing too . . . I was wondering what that was . Now I know !
But it doesnt mess with my performance , So I am not worried , YET ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
my old F4 did the same thing. all the way upto 10,000 miles when i sold it. now my f4i does the same thing....... i guess its just a normal thing

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
My '01 F4i only had 1,800 miles when I bought it (May '04) from a guy who had it stashed in his garage collecting dust. After a couple weeks of riding, I noted a rattling noise that began to annoy the hell out of me, so I took it to the dealer (LA Cycle Sports). The CCT was identified as the culprit and changed. Rattling noise went away and the bike seemed more responsive. I'm looking at my invoice now and the cost was as follows:

CCT $45.96
CCT Gasket $1.65
Labor $90 (1.5 hours)

Got an oil/air filter/coolant/spark plug change while I was there so the end bill was a doozie, but it was worth it.

Dropped the bike off first thing in the morning and waited while it cooled down before the mechanics went to work. Had the bike back within 2 hours.

Labor was a bit steep and I'm sure some mechanically inclined folks can do it for you cheaper, but peace of mind, to me, is priceless.

Getting new tires next.

Good luck.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
56cbr600rr said:
i think this is affecting my 98 cbr900rr also. anyone elso effect a 900rr????
Yes. Check with the Honda dealership to see what the most updated CCT is for your bike if you want to go with an OEM replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just bought an 02 cbr 600 f4i with 6000 miles on it and it was rattling already, the tensioner is like 60 bucks and easy to install with the right tools, 1/4 drive allen head sockets especially and a swivel adapter, it taked a few hours since you take off the tank and losen up soem fairings but still simple, i figuered it out by myself, and no manual.JUST FIX IT......i use to have a 98 zx6r ninja, my first sport bike and i heard the rattle but did know what it was, i kept running it and it ended up stretching the chain, i couldnt fix that so it cost around 500$ for to have it fixed, the tensioner, chain, gaskets and whatever else. so i reccomend havin them fixed as soon as possible.

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
Okay, so we all know we have a CCT on our CBRs.

But is it a MANUAL CCT? Or an AUTOMATIC CCT?

What is a APE MANUAL CCT? And what is the benefits of having an APE?

Why should I go with an OEM if the OEM is making the noise?

Thanks,
Jon

My new 2001 is making this exact same noise. It's annoying:(

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just in case anyone's worried about damage down the road, I've got almost 21000 miles on mine and she's been rattling for the last 17000 of em'...

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
that's good to hear:)

Jon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts