Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be moving about 300 miles in about 2 months and I was curious if anyone thinks it would be safe to strap my SV down in the back of the moving truck? I figured put it vertically along the left side of the truck on the kickstand, strap it real good to the left side of the truck, put it in gear and ziptie the brake lever to the handle so it couldn't really move. My GF said she thinks this would work, however I didn't think it was a good idea...

Keep in mind this will be me and her loading all this, not the movers. I told her that I think a moving company would NOT allow us to do this as it's too much liabilty but, what the hell do I know. Comments???

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Your bike might be safe, but you won't be. they are the worst maintained fleet of rental trucks/cars/buses/airplanes/tricycles/trailers/pencils/pens/etc. Don't use U-haul, because if U-haul, U-lose. Seriously, your bike will be fine in pretty much anything if it fit's and is secured properly. I would strongly recommend not renting from them, but from say Penske, or Ryder to move your stuff.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation. Honestly I would rather just ride it there :D But we may not be able to do that, so we will see what happens. Any tips as far as strapping it down? I've seen a couple of my friends strap a MC down, but I've never done it myself.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Let me know the details...I'll hook you up...

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
I have heard that you should not transport your bike while it is in gear...someone may be able to expand upon this...

·
Registered
304 Posts
When I moved from Jersey City, NJ to Easton, PA. I strapped my bike in the moving truck (uHaul and the truck was garbage). It was fine, just as long as you strap it tight an cover it.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
HamG said:
I have heard that you should not transport your bike while it is in gear...someone may be able to expand upon this...
I don't see why you would want to. That kickstand ignition cutoff would have you putting it back to N anyway.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Maybe you have better straps than me, but mine always seem to work their way loose. When I see my bike rolling forward and back in the back of my truck I stop and tighten it up again. I certainly wouldn't want to not be able to see it while transporting it. But if you have rachet type straps, those may not work their way loose. Don't use the crappy straps that aren't racheting for sure.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your supposed to drain the gas tank too, gas vapors in an enclosed space isn't good...just imagine going down the road and something ignites those vapors..its not going to be pretty.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
For one thing the motorcycle trailers aren't available in most of the U.S. I know there are none available here in arkansas and the ones I could find in Louisiana were for local moves only.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I would strap it down away from the side walls maybe in the center with the front tire up against the front wall like it was in a trailer. Don't put it on the side stand but do use a Canyon Dancer bar strap and 4 ratcheting tie-downs (2 in front on the Canyon Dancer strap loops and 2 in back) all pulling outward from the bike. Make sure there are conveniently located tie-down spots in the truck. You should compress the suspension about half way as you tighten the tie-downs and try to pull the front wheel into the front wall of the truck. Leave the bike in neutral.

Be careful to pack/secure your other stuff so that it won't bump or rub against the bike. For a 300 mile, one day trip, I wouldn't worry about draining the gas as long as there are some vents or air leaks in the truck. You might want to leave only about a quarter tank, though, so it doesn't slosh against the cap too much. Our daughter moved cross country a couple of years ago. They loaded her car in the back of the moving truck with protective "walls and roof" installed and proceeded to pack all around it.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I went from tahoe to vegas, 1 day trip, bout 9 hours. I did mine pretty much exactly like rayOSV described. Canyon dancer bar strap, 2 ratchets to the loose ends of that. 2 more to the rear of the bike. Never worked loose, didn't move an inch.

Oh yeah, and U-haul is truly terrible, use anyone else even if it costs you a hundred buck more. Last time I used them I got stranded right past the cali-oregon border. After 6 hours they got a truck to pick me up and a hotel. Then when they 'fixed' the truck the next day it broke down again on I5 in sacramento, rush hour traffic. Turns out there was a well known issue with the fuel pump overheating that their mechanic didn't know about. Cop had to push me off the road, an indy mechanic fixed it.

After all that they didn't want to reimburse me in any way for my troubles. Had to go all the way to the regional GM to get some $$.

U-crawl sucks, dinna use 'em!

·
Registered
148 Posts
IF you are also moving stuff then do it. If you are just moving the bike then they have a motorcycke trailer you can rent.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright I'm getting conflicting opinions as to where exactly in the truck it should go..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts