Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a jacket to ride in. I was wondering if a mesh jacket with padding would protect as much as leather or if its just a big waste of money.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a mesh jacket and it's better than wearing nothing. It definitely won't protect as well as leather, so seeing as how you live in a fairly moderate climate, I would suggest getting a perforated leather jacket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
boostnm3 said:
Im looking to get a jacket to ride in. I was wondering if a mesh jacket with padding would protect as much as leather or if its just a big waste of money.

No it is not as good as leather but not necessarily a waste of money (cause it sure beats a T-shirt) If you have the means go leather.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Agreeing with what everyone else said so far. If you are worried about protection and keeping your skin attached get a nice perforated leather jacket (Alpinestars SMX Airflo is what I'm wearing in my avatar and it's breaths just as good as a mesh jacket, fully perforated in the front)

·
Registered
14 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Agreeing with what everyone else said so far. If you are worried about protection and keeping your skin attached get a nice perforated leather jacket (Alpinestars SMX Airflo is what I'm wearing in my avatar and it's breaths just as good as a mesh jacket, fully perforated in the front)
Breathes just as good as mesh? Hmm ya got me interested. I currently have a big bulky First Gear Kilimajaro (sp?) but I have been VERY interested in the Alpinestar TZ-1, perhaps I need to take this SMX Airflo into consideration. In 105+ degree days I need all the airflow I can get!!!!!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would prefer leather over mesh myself, but mesh is better than cotton.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Ok maybe as good as mesh was a slight overstatement, but it is VERY close. The only problem is it's a $700 jacket, where mesh jackets are in the $120 range. But seriously it's probably the most breathable leather jacket out there.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Fuck mesh. Leather all the way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Gericke Venom Mesh jacket protected me completely during a 70mph slide on my stomach, but the jacket was toast. I replaced it with a perf leather jacket and just wear a wet Tshirt underneath when it's HOT. Much cooler than a mesh jacket.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I just went down on my bike at a fairly high speed. I am glad I had my perferated leather Technic Jacket on. I usually wear it all the time. Now I will. I live in Florida and don't care about the heat anymore. I'm getting leather pants soon cuz the road rash I got from the jeans tearing through is alot hotter than leather will be. The perforated leather is fairly cool while riding. It gets hot at stops. But I don't know of many people that ride a bike to sit at stops. Get leather if possible. Mine saved my ass. I rolled anywhere from 3-5 times. I'm a big fan of leather now.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Most people only seem to realize the true value of leather after they go down without it.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I knew the value of leather before I went down. That's why I bought that over the Icon TiMax jacket I really liked. Not to mention when I was at my dealership trying stuff on a guy came into get a leather jacket after he went down at 20 mph in his joe rocket mesh and it just shredded the sleave almost completly off and he had a couple of scratches. My gloves saved my hands, and my helmet saved my faces as the front of my helmet made a loud "crack" sound when it hit the pavement.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I had a full perf and bought a cortech mesh. IMO they are not close to being the same ventilation, as the mesh is much cooler. IN the hottest weather now I only wear the mesh. If I wreck, then I know the jacket will have to be replaced. But the perf was just very hot and I sometimes would not wear it. Also, maybe due to the perf being all black and the cortech being gray and hence cooler.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I wear a peforated teknic jacket that lets a lot of air in while moving. It is a little warm when sitting at stop lights and stuff but I am honestly never hot when I am moving. I would rather stick to leather but like others have said mesh is better than a t-shirt.

·
Registered
558 Posts
IMO it depends on the riding your doing, if your doing alot of hard/fast riding your gonna want the added protection of leather. If your just commutingyou might not want to make the 500+ investment in leather until you are riding faster/harder. everyone says wear leather, but some people can't afford it, as long as you have a nice solid mesh jacket you should be allright.

Think of mesh as a 1 crash use jacket.. You go down once and your gonne be protected, but your gonna need to buy another jacket. Whereas I know people who have lowsided 8-12 times in their leathers at the track, and the jacket is still as solid as when they bought it... Actually a little better sinces its been broken in. A leather you can always repair as well, can't really do that with mesh.. but then again your only paying 1-2 hundred dollars on the mesh.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Perforated or not, when you're riding even on the hottest days, full leathers is still comfortable. Maximum protection is more important than being a little warm at stop lights.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a mesh jacket, a perforated leather jacket, and a full Aerostich suit. The mesh jacket is obviously the cooler of the three, but I just don't feel safe wearing it.

Most of the time, I wear the 'stich. On the rare occasions I don't, I wear the leather jacket. I've worn the mesh maybe once or twice.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I say go for leather, but in all probability you will want to replace your leather jacket anyway after you go down. After a high speed crash (over the ton), sliding on my back, my thick deer-skin jacket is a tissue-thin piece of suede that looks really ratty. I crashed in a leather jacket (not even a bike jacket) at about 60mph. The jacket held up, likely cause I mostly rolled, but it is all scuffed up. It looks disreputable.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts