Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you use kerosene to clean your chain and I can understand why; it's cheap and cleans better than any $12 a can cleaner does. I just got a new chain and I want it to last a long time. I am used to using kerosene to clean my chain but my last chain did not last very long at all and I didn't know if maybe using kerosene to clean it was bad for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything a bike shop sells will be safe. I use WD40 and a rag, then blow it dry with a compressor, then heat the chain a little before lubing. I've got like 18,000 miles on it and the chain and the sprockets still look new.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I would use assume its safe to use if that chain's manufacture says it's safe. my stock chain said kerosene (DID chain) my EK chain says kerosene. I don't remember what my RK chain said to use.

Im not sure why kerosene is a preferred cleaner over all the other cleaners on the market. but I wonder if it's because of it's oily nature. it seems to leave a oily film behind kind of like diesel fuel does. or maybe because they know you're never going to get it in a can. and they are 100% sure it's never going to be forced between the orings since you're just wetting the chain with it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Yes, kerosene (called paraffin in the UK) is safe for 0-rings and X-rings. As was said, it's recommended by chain manufacturers. I soak every new chain in kerosene to remove the white waxy/grease that usually comes all over it before installing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts