Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think the "reality" finally set in with me. I'm looking for a first bike and of course I looked at the MORE powerfull bikes at first, but after reading some threads I downgraded to a Ninja 500, and now to Ninja 250R. I'm going to get it right after my MSF class. What do you guys think? Is that a wise choice?

The thing is, that I was pretty much set on a 250 from the start, but then I went to the dealership to buy the helmet, jacket, gloves and boots and talked to some sales people... They straight out told me that I WILL get tired of 250 in 2 weeks and will want more power. The other argument was that you need power in the bike so you can effectively use it to get away from danger, if needs to be.

But, I'll trust you guys on suggesting a 250. I want to learn the "right" way. But is a Ninja good enough starter?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You have made a very wise choice as most people will agree. As for the dealer, they are aways just out for the sale. I'd say ride it for awhile and see what you still think about it in 6-12 months.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The 250 or 500 are great reliable bikes. Let me ask you this. How big are you? If you are b***** than average-you really should get the 500 or you wont fit on the 250 well. If you're small it wont matter. You can really learn to throw a 250 around well in the corners...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I went to the dealership to get a 250 but setteled on a GS500, was fine with me got me to and from real quick. I'm glad I didn't get the 250 would have hated it I'm sure. I have had a CBR 600 f4i now for 2 years and am glad I started on the 500 first, that was the smartest thing I ever did.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I started on a 250 and it was fine, of course I moved up to a 500, then a 750. But when I started riding at age 17; cooler heads prevailed and my parents went with the 250 until I was more comfortable with riding.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I like the Ninja 250. I would buy one now just to flog around. I think it would be fun.

Good choice. I highly doubt you'll get sick of it in 2 weeks. Even if you do, just deal with it for a summer and then get a b***** bike next season. You'll be a better rider for it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
UM John said:
You have made a very wise choice as most people will agree. As for the dealer, they are aways just out for the sale. I'd say ride it for awhile and see what you still think about it in 6-12 months.

+1.....................

·
Banned
30 Posts
You are very wise! Good choice.

Another good choice might be to take the money that you are going to spend on a new 250 and buy an older used 600...a 90's model yamaha FZR600, Honda CBR600 and Kawasaki ZX6 are good options, as well.

The advantage of buying used is obviously that you won't lose much money when you go to up-grade to your next bike. Also, since its not brand-new, if you ever drop it, you won't feel as bad.

Having said that, let me say again that you are very wise to start small and then move up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great bike.And when you decide to get something with more power you wont lose a lot of cash getting rid of it.If memory serves me right I believe the 250 retails for $2999 and where I live a five year old one still sells between $2000-$2400 depending on condition of course.Glad to see your getting on two wheels. Any bike is better than none at all. And the more of us their are on two wheels the more the aftermarket will grow to provide needs and wants for a variety of people all with different tastes to make each bike unique to satisfy the souls of their owners.All win with every new rider that decides to join our rankings as a motorcyclist.250 or 500 both are a fine first bike .Welcome aboard friend.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
We had our Ninja 250 up to 90mph on the e-way today and it had no problem going that speed for distance. I can do more in the turns with the 250 than with the Busa. That's my answer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went the same route. I bought a Ninja 250 since I had never owned a bike, nor even knew how to start it. Looking back though, I should of just started with the 500. You will outgrow it quick if you are average size. Don't get me wrong, the 250 is nice, but to have a little more muscle to avoid danger and get out of a hairy situation is worth the next size up.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Depending on your budget shouyld determine which bike to get.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
my .02. starting on a 250 is a wise decision. even starting on a 500 is a good decision,but i'd stick w/the 250. learning on the 250 will improve your learning curve as you can do more w/the smaller bike. in the long run. the 250 will be better b/c as you gain experience, you will have the ability to deal w/what a b***** bike is capable of. you would still learn on a b***** bike, just not as quickly.

·
Registered
968 Posts
scotty said:
The 250 or 500 are great reliable bikes. Let me ask you this. How big are you? If you are b***** than average-you really should get the 500 or you wont fit on the 250 well. If you're small it wont matter. You can really learn to throw a 250 around well in the corners...
+1

It's a great starter and you'll likely be a better rider for it. Some people seem to feel that if it doesn't scare you it's boring. Salespeople also try to push b***** bikes for b***** commisions. Not always but often. Take your time and ride your own ride. If you go the 250 route you'll have no problem selling it when you want to step up. Do things right and it's your first bike, not your last.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for replies. To answer the size question, I'm 6.1" and 200lb. I'd love to go to a b***** bike (as I'm a BMW track enthusiast with my car, and love BIG bhp), but I will stick around with the 250, get some practice time and sell it within 6-9 months.

My ideal is to get a Ducati 800 Supersport, or a new BMW 1200 (coming out soon)

Just to let you know, I postponed a purchase of a new BMW M3 in order to get a bike, and hopefully I will not regret this decision

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
The 250 will be an excellent choice...Your mentality towards this sport is refreshing, and it sounds like you're going to be a valuable asset to our "habit" :D

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have the European (and Canadian) Ninja ZZR-250, so I can give some input.

It's actually my second bike (my first was a dualsport to get some dirt experience), and I think it's an awesome choice...
First of all, you have to realize that on the street you can only go so fast and push so hard before things become EXTREMELY dangerous. Most of my riding is twisties, and I always ride with 600s, 750s and 1000s. I can keep up easily, and I'm faster than a lot of the guys on the above bikes through twisties. The handling is just sweet, and I more than double the recommended speeds in the turns, I usually do 60 km/h turns at 120-140 km/h for example. Sure, there's a few guys I ride with that rail 60 km/h turns at 200 km/h or more and have completely scrubbed to shit front and back tires just from riding on the street, but think of how dangerous it is going that fast. What if there's sand in the corner, or a rabbit, or a deer, or a car in your lane in a blind turn, or what if a car pulls out from a sideroad because they don't expect your little headlight to reach them in 3 seconds because you're going 240 km/h on the posted 60 km/h road. I still get up to 165 km/h or so in the straights, and believe me that's plenty to kill you if you fuck up even a bit.

The problem is that, in the twisties, I'm keeping the bike at a good 10-11 + grand rpm in 6th gear for half-hours at a time, which is probably unhealthy for the motor. Basically, you always have to ride twisties in 6th gear, wide open, ALL THE TIME, unless they're the very slow ones (turn speeds posted at 20-40 km/h). Then you do a lot of shifting and learn how to keep the bike in the right gear. You'll really learn how to shift that way.

My complaints are: the suspension is too soft, and twitches in high-speed corners. The bike absolutely SUCKS for freeway riding. You're going to want to keep off the freeways at all times. Even riding the secondary highways you have to keep it in 6th gear at 7-9 grand just to cruise to the twisties, and then in the twisties you have to keep it pretty much wide open all the time, unless they're very slow twisties. Also, I'm not really happy with the brakes... in stock form they're not NEARLY as good as those on 600 cc + bikes. The stock tires aren't great either.

If you get some skills, you'll have no problems keeping up with average 600 riders in the twisties. For now, that's all you need IMO, because a newbie slip like too much throttle in the middle of a turn won't send you into a cliff as quickly. Make no mistake though, you can ride this bike FAST. It takes a while to get up to speed, but you'll learn SO much about keeping your speed up through corners, because on a 250 if you lose speed, it takes forever to make it back up after the corner, and your buddies will rocket by you. Get it up to 100 mph and just try to keep it there. Quite honestly, I'm a little scared of how fast I'm going to be able to ride a 600 when I eventually move up, because acceleration wise, the 250 is utterly gutless in comparison, especially at those triple-digit speeds.

Power wise, I was bored with the bike the first day I had it. You can keep even with a Mustang or Subaru WRX up to about 60 mph if you race from a light, and then they really blow by you like you're going in reverse. If you slack off pulling away from any light, you're going to hold up regular city traffic, and I'm not kidding. Launching it at 10-11 grand rpm though, can take most street cars off the line and to the next light.

Basically I think that a beginner has no need to go fast. You need to learn to ride without getting yourself killed, and then you can worry about the rest. This bike is great towards that purpose. Additionally, it'll teach you to ride fast, BECAUSE it's lacking so much in the power department. You'll learn how to get up to speed as quickly as possible, and learn how to keep it at speed and lose as little speed as possible through turns.

When I upgrade to a 600, I'm going to do it because I prefer the looks and I'll have fun giving it little blips of throttle for shits and giggles, showing off for chicks, and doing wheelies and stoppies, but I don't see how you could use it to its full potential without ridiculously endagering yourself and others. If you want to see a 600 used to its full potential on the streets, watch Isle of Man TT, but insert cars, sand, gravel, animals, etc. into the picture... you can appreciate how retarded that is.

Good luck and have fun, whatever your choice of bike will be.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here's what to do. Get the dealer to agree to a test ride of the 250, with the understanding that you WILL buy either the 500 or 250 (and of course if you broke it you bought it). If you don't like the pull it can give you, then get 500.

·
Registered
168 Posts
TJT - Thats probably one of the best reviews I've ever read on the 250. Does SBN have a bike review section for newb bikes? If it does then that needs to go in it. If not it needs one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts