Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have been looking into getting a bike lately, but reading all these death/crash stories has kinda scared me away. i would obviously start with something small (500 or smaller), take the MSF course, and always wear gear, but that only does so much if you get run over by a truck.

it would prob be a little until i can afford one, but i really really want one, just don't want to die hah. i just really really want to ride, just seems like so much fun. are crashes really as normal as they seem on these boards?

so convince me to get one, or not.

·
Banned
911 Posts
No. I'm not going to convince you to or not to get a bike. Frankly, I don't give a rats ass if you ride or not.

Why even ask? If you're scared then don't do it. Simple as that.

You may or may not die. You may or may not become a paraplegic. You may or may not get ran over by a 18-wheeler and become an internet web-sensation picture of mashed potatoes and ground beef.

Shitty thread. /close.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
No. I'm not going to convince you to or not to get a bike. Frankly, I don't give a rats ass if you ride or not.

You may or may not die. You may or may not become a paraplegic. You may or may not get ran over by a 18-wheeler and become an internet web-sensation picture of mashed potatoes and ground beef.

Shitty thread. /close.
+1, We all do it for our own reasons...scared? take up table tennis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Shitty thread. /close.
very helpful post, don't post in this thread if you don't give a rats ass.

+1, We all do it for our own reasons...scared? take up table tennis.
already play table tennis, and i'm pretty damn good to be honest.

just curious what pro's you think out weigh the cons of riding. didn't think it'd be a sensitive subject. since i've never been riding, just wondering if it really is worth it when you're out there.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
What you should think about as a prospective rider is to look at Riding on the brightside. It can be fun and it will add a new adventure to your life. Think about if you really want to try it or if its just a passing thought playing in ur head. If its something you want to do, don't let anything hold you back. If the risks are too great for your situation (i.e. you have family depending on you) then they come first.

Each sport has its risks and rewards. Risks meaning you can get injured or get in an accident. But the rewards can be worth more. Sometimes you just have to take risks...

·
Banned
911 Posts
very helpful post, don't post in this thread if you don't give a rats ass.

already play table tennis, and i'm pretty damn good to be honest.

just curious what pro's you think out weigh the cons of riding. didn't think it'd be a sensitive subject. since i've never been riding, just wondering if it really is worth it when you're out there.
Our "pros" may not be your "pros," bud.

Riding is a completely subjective opinion in every single way. Some do it for fun and others do it for cheap commuting.

We're not talking about the pros and cons of having a cock up your ass. Stop being a bitchy newb and realize that riding is something you'll either love or hate... and you ain't gonna find out over the internet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could die in your car, you could become paralyzed from a work accident or get knocked out from a flying water bottle. There's a world of possiibilities to get hurt in the world-- riding a bike surely adds one, but if you love to ride, it's a risk you're willing to take and eliminate by being a safe rider.

My good friends got into an accident not too long ago on a road I ride on every day. I was shaken up and it made me think twice about what I'm doing (this is my first bike, I've been riding for 4 months so I've still got jitters too) but I decided in the end that so long as I'm defensive, I can do this. I still fear riding alone, but I do it because I know I have to get over the fear sometime.

If you need someone on the Internet to convince you that getting a bike is a good idea, maybe it isn't? I just knew I wanted to do it. It felt like a good fit when I took MSF. I kinda fell in love with it, as cheesy as it sounds. lol! But yeah... take MSF-- I felt much less apprehensive when I came outta there because I knew what to do in dangerous situations. And invest in gear. It's worth it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I agree with Jyn. our pro's are not yours. I play highschool football. Just a couple of weeks ago, CFL player Jason Tucker (Edmonton Eskimos)had a major spinal injury in a helmet to helmet collision with a Calgary Stampeders player. I personally, have severely broken an arm, (to the extent that the hospital nearly did sergury to put in pins) nearly broken a thumb, and have walked home with dozens of bruises, sores, and cramps.

Is that going to stop me from playing? No. Because, like any rider, I know the risks before I step out to play. Just like any rider knows the risks when he swings his leg over.

Personally, I'm in your position of getting into riding. But I've never questioned it. it's something I want to do. I've educated myself, and I've read the 'disaster' stories, but that hasn't diminished anything.I still want to do it.

If you have to ask whether it's worth it or not, it's probably not, for you anyway.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
OP: You gotta think about this - Every single time you climb on your bike, you take your life into your own hands. This is NOT like driving a car, it demands complete attention and complete respect. Slack off for just a moment and it can be your death, or paralysis, or worse.

If you are really comfortable with that, then go for it...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You will know far more people who get hurt driving a car but does that make you fear driving? No.

Riding has risks just like everything else. Ours are a little more than other activities but they can be reduced greatly by what you know and how you use that information. There are plenty of riders who ride a whole lifetime without a scratch and there are some who dont last 5 months. Most of that depends on you not some car driver.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I live for today. That's why I ride. If I died today on my bike, so be it. If I lived my life scared shitless everyday I'd never make it to work. You should see the mass amount of idiots I watch out for on the freeway going to work. Most of what happens to you on a bike is controlled by your decision making. There really isn't a whole lot that is out of your hands. Of course, the less experience you have, the less chance you have of making the right decisions when shit hits the fan.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Take the MSF course to get some exposure/experience with a motorcycle. After taking the course, you may decide you don't want a motorcycle, but at least you can make an informed decision. People here are biased...we ride

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I think the harshness here came in how you phrased your question. Some folks, like Jyn it seems, do not sugar coat responses. When it comes to riding that's how it's gotta be.

Nobody on here is going to try and convince you to ride or not. We don't know you and you don't know us, so why ask strangers to convince you to do something that obviously you are uncomfortable with?

Myself, I would suggest that you do the MSF course. Learn the safety aspects of riding and get some practical experience in the course. Granted the exposure to risk during the course is limited, but it's still there. My personal thought is once you feel the exhillaration (sp??) of riding, you'll be hooked like so many others have been.

·
Registered
110 Posts
who knows, or you may never come back on the forums again b/c you decide you don't want to ride... but at least through MSF you get a tiny taste of it in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Its definitely not worth dieing over. If you think its going to kill you, common sense says don't ride. If you think its going to kill you, then don't do it. If not, then go for it and treat it with respect as you should anything 'dangerous'. Even then you still might die riding, but things are rarely as dangerous as people make them out to be.

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
We're not talking about the pros and cons of having a cock up your ass. Stop being a bitchy newb and realize that riding is something you'll either love or hate... and you ain't gonna find out over the internet.
:eek:nfloor :lao :eek:nfloor :lao

I can see where the OP is coming from with his questions. But that is just funny as hell!

To the OP: Pay attention to the less insulting posts. Its something only you can decide. Take the MSF, try it out on a cheap bike for a while, and if you like it great. If not, no big deal. Just understand that everything in life has risks. Riding just has a lot more than most activities.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
If you like it, do it. You're not gonna be alive forever anyway.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take the MSF course to get some exposure/experience with a motorcycle. After taking the course, you may decide you don't want a motorcycle, but at least you can make an informed decision. People here are biased...we ride

1 - 20 of 38 Posts