Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am 45 am have always wanted to get into street motorcycles. I have had plenty of toys race cars, boat all sold(currently have a GT500) and every once and awhile this itch starts, I look around, and get to the edge of purchasing somethng used and then stop walk away and play a ton of golf.

I have had a license when I was younger, and have several years in the dirt and trail riding everything from 250-450 series vehicles.

I have had the itch rear up again, so much so that I am planning on taking the MSF again, and restart a license but havent quite decided on a bike.

Any thoughts from guys who either jumped in later or restarted after riding when younger.

I am in MD and expect the seaon to be from say late April to until Sept?

My office manager says I am having a double mid life crisis, ie 77s hp cobra, and now looking at a bike

Regards

D.Brisson

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Ir's never too late to start riding. The MSF is a great starting point. Don't be too proud to start with a 250/300 the first year (preferably used), they have more than enough performance to get you in trouble.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Lol, 45 is not old. go take a rider course, get yourself a bike and go have some fun. you only live ONCE and you better make the most of it while you can. Do not wait until your 70 and look back at all the things you wished you had done.

Go get your bike now.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
45? Lol

I'm 50 and enjoying the hell out of it. I meet older guys than me up on the Tail of the Dragon.

That said, I got back into riding while living in Columbia, MD, back in the 1990's, and gave it up. So much traffic back then I felt like I wasn't riding the bike, the car in front of me was. Very frustrating if you live in the heart of it.

I should have gotten out into the rural areas more, WV, VA, etc......

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Your in no way to old to ride. I have plenty of friends older than you riding sportbikes. Hell Rossi isn't much younger than you and he is still one of the best riders in the world.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's better to start when you're older as you're putting less of your life at risk. :)

I was 44 when I started and I'm 53 now. Lots of us old farts on 2 wheels. Read my sig line and go ride!

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I've heard many older riders who just started say they wished they had started 30 years ago. Go for it! You're 45, not dead.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Don't listen to these guys. At 45 your hand eye coordination is that of a newborn baby, for sure you'll misjudged a turn or a pulling out car. At 45 you're practically dead, and everyone lives 6 times, so you can just learn to ride in one of your next lives. Besides if you stick around here you'll be subjected to Jet Falcon posts and no one wishes that horror on anyone.

However, I do agree that golf is for pussies.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'm 48 and still ride sportbikes, have a Harley, too but I love my Ninja!!

·
Rider
101 Posts
I was 52 when I bought my first bike and started to ride 30 years and 400,000 motorcycle miles ago. Rode the Dragon back in 01 at age 68 and took my last trip to the Smoky mountains to play in 04 at age 72. Rode a bit last summer but this past winter was the first winter I didn't ride, rode year around here in NE Ohio for 30 years. My kids are past 60 now and son is still riding, he started as a teen.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I figure I'll start racing motorcycles when I'm in my mid-90s, as by that point there'll be nothing left to lose....

Reactions: steve3b3

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I am 45 am have always wanted to get into street motorcycles. I have had plenty of toys race cars, boat all sold(currently have a GT500) and every once and awhile this itch starts, I look around, and get to the edge of purchasing somethng used and then stop walk away and play a ton of golf.

I have had a license when I was younger, and have several years in the dirt and trail riding everything from 250-450 series vehicles.

I have had the itch rear up again, so much so that I am planning on taking the MSF again, and restart a license but havent quite decided on a bike.

Any thoughts from guys who either jumped in later or restarted after riding when younger.

I am in MD and expect the seaon to be from say late April to until Sept?

My office manager says I am having a double mid life crisis, ie 77s hp cobra, and now looking at a bike

Regards

D.Brisson
I just did the math and I was 45 when I re-entered motorcycling after about 11 years of not owning a bike. I was a little rusty but it felt great when I rode that new Nighthawk 750 off the dealer lot. Go for it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Not too old. I would look to get a standard style sportbike to give you a more comfortable ride as opposed to leaning over with clip-ons. See about Yamaha's FZ line of bikes. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
How is golf for pussies? Let me get this straight. You ride a little car around and drink beer and on smoke cigars and on occasion hit a stupid ball with a stick? Sign me up.

I also enjoy bowling.

PS yes OP you are too old, please sign up for aarp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was 52 when I bought my first bike and started to ride 30 years and 400,000 motorcycle miles ago. Rode the Dragon back in 01 at age 68 and took my last trip to the Smoky mountains to play in 04 at age 72. Rode a bit last summer but this past winter was the first winter I didn't ride, rode year around here in NE Ohio for 30 years. My kids are past 60 now and son is still riding, he started as a teen.
Hell yeah!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only thing you're going to say once you start riding street is: Why did I wait this long?:banana

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The Season for riding in Maryland is starting for me tomorrow, though most riders will wait a few more weeks, but it will last until November. I try to ride at least once in every month, but this winter was extra cold, and I skipped January.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts