Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike doesn't have the exhasust can on it. My parts dealer just got it and he is only four miles away. THe bike will start but You have to keep giving it gas to idle. Its it safe to try and ride it up there? Or do I have to rent a truck?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
can't you just find a ride up there? Or call a cab or something?

·
Registered
318 Posts
No exhaust at all? Not even headers? Not the safest thing in the world, no. You can do head damage with the heat the exhaust makes.

If it is a bike with fairings I would take them off and keep the revs as low as possible.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it is just no can, then run it with the choke on and again try to keep the revs low. The choke being put on will try and compensate for the lean condition the engine will be put in due to having basically no restrictions.

·
Registered
681 Posts
tell the dealer to come get it...then go buy yourself a p/u or a trailer so you don't have these problems in the future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Turn it on at 2AM and rev it up to see what the neighbors think of it :flipa ..but seriously the choke idea sounds fine...4 miles isn't very far

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I can install it I will do that. I was thinking it had to be welded. The bike will idle with the choke on, but cuts off without it, does it run reallty lean with not exhaust? It was loud as hell.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
i agree.... You should be ok for that amount of distance

·
Registered
68 Posts
4 miles is nothing, I have a friend who regularly rides without exhaust when he's switching them. He does have the exup valve though.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
as long as the headers are there you have nothing to be corncerned about but your ears. Think drag cars... they run all the time with nuthing but headers. You will instantly become the "hit" of the neighbor hood if you do a few flatout runs up n down the street :shocked ROFL :D

·
old member
13,079 Posts
jeostang said:
If I can install it I will do that. I was thinking it had to be welded. The bike will idle with the choke on, but cuts off without it, does it run reallty lean with not exhaust? It was loud as hell.
Yes, it's the can that supplies the restriction in the exhaust. Without the restriction, the mixture gets really lean due to lots more air and same amount of fuel. The choke (enricher probably rather than air restricter) will help compensate. The short ride down to the dealer probably won't hurt much, but I wouldn't make a habit of running without a can. You don't really know how lean it gets and you could burn a valve or something. And yes, it will be loud as hell because the can also has the sound baffles in it. The can (pipe actually) will need to be welded unless it's a "bolt-on".

Judging by the time, you're probably already done. How'd it go?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts