Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Honda RC 51 that Ive owned since new. In the last three years my engine check light came on, not the bike but me. at 72... it was bound to happen. First knee replacement one year followed by hip replacement the next.....If your'e a jogger, consider walking instead. Anyhow living in NE Ohio riding season is short so winter storage is the norm.... Ive just extended the hell out of it.. Stabil and Battery Tender through the years but the bike would fire up everytime. So what does this tribe think...Is it safe ? after 3 years ...a short ride at least to the shop or deliver by way of the trailer. I still ride... a 2006 Vespa and 2002 Fatboy but the RC 51 compared to the two ? Deus Ex Machina.
Thanks for your imput and stay safe.

·
Are we not men?
9,033 Posts
I would say the limiting factor is how safe you feel. The RC being what it is, are the knee and hip up to the riding position? The RC is no lightweight (not telling you anything, I know) and that weight is up a lot higher than the Fatboy, which might make riding a bit trickier if there are strength issues.

Are the replacement parts on the same side? Or opposite?

One of my riding buddies is your age and is starting to have knee issues. This is causing him to think of how much longer he will be able to ride his BMW R1200R and he says that a trike is right out. For him, it may be a sidecar for the BMW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding, left knee, right hip so it should balance out. Since Ive lost 1" in height due aging... my prob has been so far just getting aboard. Hoping to try some taller boots.
I would say the limiting factor is how safe you feel. The RC being what it is, are the knee and hip up to the riding position? The RC is no lightweight (not telling you anything, I know) and that weight is up a lot higher than the Fatboy, which might make riding a bit trickier if there are strength issues.

Are the replacement parts on the same side? Or opposite?

One of my riding buddies is your age and is starting to have knee issues. This is causing him to think of how much longer he will be able to ride his BMW R1200R and he says that a trike is right out. For him, it may be a sidecar for the BMW.
. Thanks for the response.. left knee right hip so it should balance it out. Since I’ve lost 1 inch due to age, getting onboard and off is a concern. Looking for some taller boots. I’ve dropped a few lbs off the bike with C/F and headlight removal but still it’s got some heft

1 - 3 of 3 Posts