Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like exhaust's, but the frame!......

Has anyone ever seen this before or considered it?

Discuss :headbang

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, anodizing is very similar to powdercoating. If it is, there's shouldn't be a problem anodizing it. Well, money might be a problem. heh.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Like coloring the frame with a "colored chrome" type look? i have seen a few colored frames but they looked more powdercoated

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im hoping its not that expensive :eek:

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I have seen some frames that have been chromed then painted with a translucent paint to give it a color chrome look. Kinda like anodize

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ca$h said:
Like coloring the frame with a "colored chrome" type look? i have seen a few colored frames but they looked more powdercoated
Thats exactly what I want.....

Which has a more durible finish though?.....anodzed or pwdrcoated

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Powdercoating. That stuff is hard to scratch. You have to almost try to scratch it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dennisred69 said:
I have seen some frames that have been chromed then painted with a translucent paint to give it a color chrome look. Kinda like anodize
you can also use a translucent powdercoat over chrome, it's not cheap but it looks awesome

Late

Darksyde

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to avoid chrome...too heavy

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You can anodize it, but it would be quite a bit of work. Anodizing is not like powder-coating, it's a much different process. You have to strip everything off the frame, all the parts, bushings, fittings...everything. Then you have to dip the frame in acid baths to strip all the old finish off and use more acid baths with a power source to start the anodizing process. After that, it goes into a dye bath to get it to the color you want. It can be done, but it won't be easy. Powdercoating may be easier and cheaper. Anodizing will give you a very clean, VERY durable finish, but you also need to be able to fully submerse your frame in the acid baths. Just some info...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I powder coat part time at a custom chopper shop, to do a frame you will have to buy a min of $50 worth of powder and then it would cost about $400 to coat it. I want to do mine but im not willing to strip my bike down to just the frame until winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts