Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be riding again after 13 long years.

Going to pick up a used bike tonight to ride home...and I only have a leather jacket with no armor. I used this same jacket when I had my old bike and it was fine.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
well if you fall, you probably won't have any road rash, but its gonna hurt when you hit with you're shoulders/elbows. I'd never ride without armor, but if you have no choice, that jacket is better than no jacket. I'd get some armor asap though.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok...I will be going to the local bike shop after I get my new ride

gotta get a lock and cover too

might get a jacket thanks!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
+1 on the armor. There are way too many drivers out there nowadays, some not paying attention, for things to go wrong. Heck, if it's available in the market, why not right? It might feel slightly uncomfortable at first, but you'll grow to never ride without it.

Welcome back to motorcycling. Congrats on the ride. What is it?

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Armor saves bruising and can prevent fractures. But the most important thing is to protect your skin. Most collisions are low speed by the time of the point of impact. (Most single bike accidents are higher speeds.)

Another concern, though, is whether the stiching is rotted or your leather is dry rotted. All things considered, however, I wouldn't give this a thought for just a ride home from the dealer. I'm sure you'll be on your best behavior and at your most attentive.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice everyone and it feels good if not a bit nervous about riding again :)

the jacket is in good shape, I hardly use it

the bike is a '92 600f2 with 20,000 miles (slightly beat up cosmetically but not bad considering age)

I also need to get the valves adjusted and stuff...gonna be expensive

·
Registered
350 Posts
All my jackets have armour except in my Alpinestars Stunt Airflow in the shoulders I have big shoulders and AS fit so damn small so I took out the shoulder pads made me look like a Linebacker for the Giants.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there's a nice, light blue mesh jacket with good armor at the local shop for about 145 bucks.

Think I'll get that one...has great ventilation by the looks.

It's just not leather.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I to got the Alpinestar T-stunt airflow. I did the same thing, but I took the elbow pads out to because they are real hard and they hurt my elbows. I left the back pad in thow. Outher then that, its a grate jacket.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mesh with armor is still better than nothing at all. Might only be good for one get-off but it'll take the bulk of the hit so that you don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts