Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been kicking around the idea of selling my Streetfighter or trading it in for something new.
I love the SF, but it's not perfect.

Pros
+Looks amazing
+I prefer the sound and power *delivery of a twin (except at low rpm)
+Great riding position for me
+45 MPG for some reason.

Cons
-Bad low RPM behaviour, it's a race motor after all
-Only handles/communicates well at the extreme
-Difficult to operate controls (signals, clutch, shifter)
-Expensive everything.
-Possible expanding gas tank issue
-No local dealer (2 hours away)

I'm turning near 4000 miles on it, which is hardly any, but is ever closing in on its first expensive 7500mile interval service.
I've been eyeing Honda lately, the CB1000R and CBR1000RR specifically.
I've always been a fan of Hondas undeniable build quality and reliability, save for a few oil hungry fireblades..
I'd really like something thats a better street bike, I think, and that's what Honda does first.
It's so hard to give up the appeal of the 'Fighter.
But then, piling miles on it feels like a sin.

Whats anyones thoughts?

Does LessPeople_MoreRobots still lurk around here? I know he had an SF, and I think I remember saying similar complaints as mine. If you're reading this; how's life without the SF?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
LPMR bought an R1. and from what I recall of his posts he loves it.
I'm in the same boat as you I want something new but not sure what. I was about to pull the tr***** on the new daytona 675r but I want a 1k.
seeing how the bmw s1000rr is about the same as a jap 1k I've been toying with the idea of one of those. just because it will outrun a busa but corners like a superbike should.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about another of the performance naked variants? FZ1, Street/Speed Triple, Z1000, Tuono, etc?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
All of them have been considered. I've rode an FZ1 and a Z1k, both nice, but not quite right for this reason or that. Haven't really been interested in the Triples.
The Tuono has piqued my interest a little bit especially with that motor, but still has that premium price tag, and even further to the next closest dealer.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I ask myself this question every year yet here I am still on the 500 haha.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LPMR bought an R1. and from what I recall of his posts he loves it.
I'm in the same boat as you I want something new but not sure what. I was about to pull the tr***** on the new daytona 675r but I want a 1k.
seeing how the bmw s1000rr is about the same as a jap 1k I've been toying with the idea of one of those. just because it will outrun a busa but corners like a superbike should.
Indeed, I remember the R1, he seemed to go through bikes fast though. Wonder if he's still on it.

I test rode the S1000RR before I ever had the Fighter. And thinking back to it is really whats making me consider changing things up now.
That bike was excellent, and stupid fast. I was instantly comfortable flinging it around.

I ask myself this question every year yet here I am still on the 500 haha.
More power to you! I convince myself every time I buy a bike I've found THE ONE. Next year, I'm poking through the classifieds and magazine reviews for something else.
The only bike I've had long term is my 09 ZX6R, which I've kept probably only because it's unsellable in its current state.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Sounds like someone has the 'new bike bug'. You might as well resign yourself to finding the next bike, because you are going to.

That's why I have multiple bikes.

What is it you are looking for? You love the power delivery of the twin; I think an I4 might disappoint you - better ride one first.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
More power to you! I convince myself every time I buy a bike I've found THE ONE. Next year, I'm poking through the classifieds and magazine reviews for something else.
The only bike I've had long term is my 09 ZX6R, which I've kept probably only because it's unsellable in its current state.
The only reason I haven't gotten anything new is because I haven't really decided on what type of bike I want. Supersport, sport touring, etc. If I had the money I would probably just nab up a F800ST and call it good, but now they have the F800GT which I like as well.

Also....$$. I dont have any to spend on a motorcycle. So the 500 will live on 7 years and going strong.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like someone has the 'new bike bug'. You might as well resign yourself to finding the next bike, because you are going to.

That's why I have multiple bikes.

What is it you are looking for? You love the power delivery of the twin; I think an I4 might disappoint you - better ride one first.
I think foremost, rideability.
Ideally, If my streetfighter were butter smooth in the low RPM range, and had a long service interval, It would stay in my garage permanently.

Since you asked about timing, it's the absolute worst time to buy a new bike price-wise. Maybe keep it this season and trade up in the fall?

KeS
Unless I'm able to snatch up a '12 leftover, which there seems to be a few of in the area. Especially the CB1000R, which doesnt have strong sales up here.
I've got the day off tomorrow, so I'm gonna go from dealership to dealership throwing a leg over some bikes, as well as spend the night online looking even more feverishly over the options.

I wish there were more Vtwin options out there

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
IMO, whenever you have more cons than pros, yes, it's time for a change.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's turning you away from the triples? Leftover 12 are going pretty cheapvand not too quick with the new models coming out

Triumph's have just never done 'it' for me.
Love the company and what they've been doing, but just don't love the styling of their sport bikes.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm a big fan of the CB1000R but unfortunately my carpal tunnel issues have made I4s difficult for me to ride. I test rode an SF 848 before getting my Tuono and found the T to be an all around better version of the SF, plus longer service intervals and better low speed manners.

I think you should look at the new V4 Tuono, somewhere between an I4 and V2 with a nice riding position and electronics.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think the Tuono V4 would be the perfect replacement. It would be an upgrade in terms of power, with longer intervals, cheaper service, and better fueling. Basically it would fix all the problems with your street fighter except for the dealer network problem.

That said those CB1000R are sexy bikes, and I consider them basically exotic due to very very low selling numbers. Those wheels look sexy with the single sided swing arm too and putting 180 rear tires was a good move it really helps the agility of the whole package.

Can't go wrong either way, post pics of the new bike when you get it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
why not go with an 848 SF?
I know it'd be a "downgrade" in some ways, but I think it'd fix most of your cons, myself, (since I thoguht they revised some of the controls in particular on the 848) while still having all of the appeal of the b*****, badder streetfighter.

a tune may also fix your fueling issues. since that and the low end characterisics are your biggest gripes, you could check that.

as for service intervals, well, you aren't gonna get away from that. You do pay to play. but the other issues, to me, are theoretically fixable without selling it.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I'm turning near 4000 miles on it, which is hardly any, but is ever closing in on its first expensive 7500mile interval service.
This statement gets made a lot, and I simply dont buy it unless your dealer likes to rape people. My 1098 has had 3 of those services done, and the most expensive one was $400. That's really not bad IMHO, and definitely not bad enough to have me looking to sell my bike because of it.

Your other complaints seem like things that could be fixed as well. There's a ton of tuning stuff out there, and people that tweak the Ducs that I would be surprised if you couldn't smooth out the bottom end. Overall your list of Cons seems to be all either minor things that can probably be changed, or things that haven't actually gone wrong yet.

I think you're just gettin the itch for something new, rather than really being unhappy with what you have. Trust me I know all about it...which is why I currently have 3 bikes.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Big twins suck at low RPMs to meet emissions. Get a power commander and have it tuned, that will make it butter smooth at low RPMs.

To me all of your complains sound more like justifications to get rid of the bike than real problems.

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Wow, that didn't last very long. Then again, I shouldn't talk I don't keep my bikes very long either. I had the same generation R1 as LPMR and I LOVED it, out of all my bikes I've had, it's the one I regret getting rid of the most.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts