Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
On April 14, I upgraded from a 2003 EX500 to my 2006 ZZR-600. :banana
The bike is really awesome and fast enough for me (for now...hehehe).
I do have a concern regarding the bike's handling/feedback...A couple of Sundays ago, a group of us went riding through the twisties (a run we had done a few times last summer). It seemed like I had LESS confidence riding my ZZ than my EX. I thought it may be due to the fact that this is only the beginning of my 3rd riding season, the bike is still new to me, it is b***** than my previous one, it was cold out etc... It also occurred to me that perhaps it is the bike's settings and tires (all stock). Did anyone else adjust the settings on their '06 ZZR to feel more confident on rough twisty roads? Or change the tires?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

· DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
914 Posts
You just are not used to a lot more bike. The Zzr is wider, has way more low end power and has your arms perched way lower due to the clip on position.

Basically the Zzr is a real sportbike and you are adjusting to it. Give it time and patience.

So the amswer is yes, it is you and not the bike! Good luck and don't woory about mods and adjustments until you atleast wear thorugh the original tyres.

· Registered
683 Posts
If its cold make sure your tires are warmed up good before hitting the twisties. Some people adjust their tire pressure also for better handling. Also you might want to get a professional to setup your suspension to your weight. Going from a 500 to a 600 is a big difference in power and torque so you will be not as comfortable till you get use to it. I owned a ZZr600 05 before and its a great bike. Thou it is considered a sport touring bike, it was a badass bike back in the 00-02 years which back then it was called a zx-6r.

· Registered
97 Posts
Great bike huh. I got mine 14 days before you. At first I was more comfortable with my old bike but now I feel I can handle my zzr just as well (or better on many maneuvers). I have read a review on mcn that said the rear suspension is too soft. I am not experienced enough to confirm that.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the replies guys. Yeah, its an awesome bike. I'm glad the "new" look became available in Canada finally, just in time for me to buy it! And I can't wait to get used to it, so I can rip around the twisties again!
Bye for now...

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference between a 500 and a 600 amazes me...good thing I didn't get the GSX-R 750 like I wanted. It would have taken me even longer to get comfortable again!
Ride safe everyone!

· DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
914 Posts
The difference is immense for sure. Twice the pistons, twice the power, twice the suspension and ten times the fun!

· Registered
192 Posts
I highly suggest burning out your stock tires quickly they are crap. I threw on some dunlop qualifiers D208 i kept with teh 180 in the back and i raised the front from a 65 to a 70. it help with the speed i am able to handle and throw the bike around. Once you get the stock tires off you will become confident a good set of tires and get teh feel for it.

· DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
914 Posts
I did the same put 208 tyres on her and went up to a 70 series and it feels like a new bike. Toss those 207 tyres, they are crap indeed! Somewhere around here I started a thread recommending the 70 series for the front as it works much better. I just wonder why Kawy didn't put the 70 on the front in the first place?

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good advice...I will change the tires, but only when they naturally wear out...I'm broke!
I heard good things about the Qualifiers...but I also heard they wear out quickly.
What about the Bridgestone BT-014 or the Micheline Pilot Powers for the ZZR?

· at the track
3,110 Posts
Marina1 said:
I heard good things about the Qualifiers...but I also heard they wear out quickly.
What about the Bridgestone BT-014 or the Micheline Pilot Powers for the ZZR?
Doesn't matter what bike you have, you would enjoy any of the three tyres you just mentioned over your stockers immensely.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never changed the original tires on my EX500 either...so even though this is my second bike, I've only known stock tires! I can't wait to see the difference between stock and my next set...And I will also try the 70 instead of the 65 for the front.
Thanks all...

· Premium Member
5,553 Posts
fallclassic02 said:
The difference is immense for sure. Twice the pistons, twice the power, twice the suspension and ten times the fun!

I agree with fallclassic02. It's you. It may take you some time to get use to riding a ZZR600, unlike to 2 cylinder moped you were riding. :lao

· Registered
192 Posts
i have heard great things about the bridgestone battleaxe 012's and the pilots as well. And yes you can wear the qualifiers down quickly BUT it all depends on your riding style. you ride very agressively in the hills you wear teh sides fast on teh freeway you wear the center fast. Or you can try adn ride the tires evenly. thats what i do. I have had these tires for about a months and i love them. they make me so much more confident on the canyons. my stocks slide out just pulling out of my apartment complex and i wasnt accelerating hard at all. don't have that problem with teh qualifiers. and i completely agree on why did kawi not put the 70's on the ZZR in the first place, teh bike handles at least 75% better now that i put 70's on it.

· Registered
18 Posts
If it's you it's me too

I have to agree that the tires are not good. They feel like they squirm around when turning hard into a corner - very unsettling feeling. If it's cold out they slide around like crazy, although I think my rebound damping might be a problem there.

My dealer recommends the 208's - any feedback?

· Premium Member
5,553 Posts
keyesferry said:
I have to agree that the tires are not good. They feel like they squirm around when turning hard into a corner - very unsettling feeling. If it's cold out they slide around like crazy, although I think my rebound damping might be a problem there.

My dealer recommends the 208's - any feedback?
My tires are fine. You probably need to adjust your suspension according to your weight.

· Registered
212 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I went to the Michilin Pilot Powers and they are great! The are designed/shaped to make the bike turn faster and have more tread on the ground while turning. They warm up pretty quick also.
I stayed with the 65 series. These turn much quicker than the 208's!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.