Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are just my personal opinions (as you all know I have alot of them) but I don't see why people complain that sportbikes are uncomfortable (in general, there are exceptions).

I mean look at the name "SPORTbike" it's a sport, you aren't exactly supposed to be comfortable. Is a football player comfortable in cleats, helmet, pads, cup, etc? I think you get what I'm getting at here.

For the people complaining about comfort, maybe you need to find a different type of a bike or a completely different sport. I ride 2 of the most uncomfortable bikes ever made, and I don't see why people complain. Maybe they just need to quit being such wusses and accept the fact that this isn't supposed to be a comfortable sport.

I understand the want to go on longer rides, I made the trek from Seattle to Daytona for bike week on a 1999 Suzuki TL1000R (granted, it's one of the more comfortable sport bikes) along with 6 or 7 other guys on sport bikes, some were on R1's, some were on CBR600's, but no one complained. Sure, we all grimaced and made nasty faces stretching at rest stops, but we didn't complain, because we knew it was all a part of riding.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
55 Posts
:alky Was there any point to this besides telling us how awesome you are and how comfort doesn't phase you, and how everyone else should be as tough as the great firefighter :confused:

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a general question, why do people always complain about comfort on a sportbike? It's not supposed to be comfortable, that's all I really said.... but if you wanna take it that way, it's your deal. Also, like I said it's not only me, I ride with alot of guys who think the same way I do. I just don't see why alot of the magazines out there have been making comfort such a big deal lately.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I guess comfort is good, but if you're looking for it, then maybe cruiser is more suitable for you. I prefer performance over comfort on bikes. With cars, it's a different story.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well, at 6'6" I don't even fit whatsoever on quite a few bikes - I physically could not ride them. That is why comfort is an issue for me. However, I have no problem with the comfort of my F4i. It's a great bike and although many complain about the seat, it's not bad at all, especially with leathers since they have padded rears usually. Sport touring bikes are for comfort, but when it gets to the point that if you're over 6' and you can't fit on a bike, it's a little rediculous. If it was a 50cc bike that is one thing, but when it's a 1000cc bike, that doesn't make much sense. Thankfully, Honda Kawasaki, Triumph, Aprilia and Ducati still make sportbikes that fit people over 5'7" Buell? Forget it. Same with most Yammis and Suzukis.

·
Registered
533 Posts
doesn't bother me (im 6' 200lb), i ride an r6, longest ive ridden nonstop is 1.5 hours which wasnt too bad. if im riding canyons a lot of times im off the seat anyway. only complaints i would have about comfort is maybe if i had a 600rr, those things have hard seats and it is really hot because of the undertail exhaust

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yes, comfort matters. Riding is all about enjoying the experience. I'm not going to enjoy it so much if I'm in pain during the ride or afterwards.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The idea that a sportbike is not supposed to be comfortable is sorta screwy. I mean, Yamaha made the R1 more comfortable, Ducati did the same with the 999. Many of the most popular sport bikes have also been comfortable bikes. Look at the numbers of CBR600's VS any other less comfortable 600 option. Comfort isn't an option. It's proven that if a rider is uncomfortable he/she will fatigue faster and be less and less effective over time.

I also think that a large number of the folks that complain about comfort are the weekend variety sort. They never really get enough time in the seat to get used to a new bike, thus, it's allways uncomfortable.

But mostly I think folks bitch about comfort in the same way folks talk about the weather. Not really all that concerned so much as a way of sharing a few words...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I don't have any problems..... I've done the long rides and "yes, the butt hurt, but sitting for hours either in an ergonomic chair or a bike, would hurt any ones ass.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Comfort Matters

Pain leads to fatigue leads to inattention.

A well-fitting bike can be ridden harder, longer.

Scott :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you've got three cars and a bike which you only take out in the twisties or to the track, then fine, who cares. When you want to be comfortable you can take the Lexus. Me, however, do not own a car. I want a bike that's sporty and comfortable. Since they make PLENTY of bikes like that, I see absolutly no reason to buy one that's sporty and uncomfortable. Why hurt when I don't have to?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well since you are using a sportbike as a commuter comfort should matter to you. But I feel that using a sportbike for commuting takes the SPORT out of it, I went about 6 months back in high school only having a bike, and I hated it, I didn't enjoy riding anymore. I want to take my bike when I want to go for a ride, not to run errands on. I didn't really take commuters into account when I posted this, but for people who don't commute and only ride when they feel like it (like myself) I don't really mind having a hard seat or an agressive riding position.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree.. what's the big deal about comfort? I can ride my Fizzer for about 75 miles before I need a rest... so what? I don't ride it for comfort I ride it for the adrenaline rush. If I wanted comfort I would have bought a Gold Wing.

Take care!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
neutom72 said:
I agree.. what's the big deal about comfort? I can ride my Fizzer for about 75 miles before I need a rest... so what? I don't ride it for comfort I ride it for the adrenaline rush. If I wanted comfort I would have bought a Gold Wing.

Take care!
+1 :dblthumb

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
wescoas1 said:
Well, at 6'6" I don't even fit whatsoever on quite a few bikes - I physically could not ride them. That is why comfort is an issue for me. However, I have no problem with the comfort of my F4i. It's a great bike and although many complain about the seat, it's not bad at all, especially with leathers since they have padded rears usually. Sport touring bikes are for comfort, but when it gets to the point that if you're over 6' and you can't fit on a bike, it's a little rediculous. If it was a 50cc bike that is one thing, but when it's a 1000cc bike, that doesn't make much sense. Thankfully, Honda Kawasaki, Triumph, Aprilia and Ducati still make sportbikes that fit people over 5'7" Buell? Forget it. Same with most Yammis and Suzukis.
and it is getting worse. you could always count on the liter bikes being b***** than the 600 but not anymore. i think that it sux that the manifactures are making the big bikes so much smaller. obtw i am 6'6" as well. and yes comfort is getting more important as i get older and not as flexable as i used to be.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Comparing my old GSXR and my VFR, it's night & day.

In the real world, where I take the long way to work, run errands, and various types of rides on the weekends the VFR has enough sport to keep me happy, but the comfort to do likewise.

The GSXR on the other hand, I feel hard-wired to and like I've got a big red S on my chest, but after 45 minutes on it....I'm ready to get off of it.

Maybe I'm just getting older....but comfort does matter, at least to me. To each their own.

Peace

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
It don't bother me to much I think my bike is comfy.

·
Registered
646 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Well since you are using a sportbike as a commuter comfort should matter to you. But I feel that using a sportbike for commuting takes the SPORT out of it, I went about 6 months back in high school only having a bike, and I hated it, I didn't enjoy riding anymore. I want to take my bike when I want to go for a ride, not to run errands on. I didn't really take commuters into account when I posted this, but for people who don't commute and only ride when they feel like it (like myself) I don't really mind having a hard seat or an agressive riding position.
O man, I thought I was the only one this happened to. My car broke down on me for the entire summer and I couldnt get another one at the time. Had to use my bike for commuting. Riding it all the time made it no fun entirely at all. Damn...glad I wasnt the only one.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
comfort matters to a degree, I'm not going to get a bike I can't stand riding for a hour or two, but I have not had any real comfort issues on sportbikes myself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts