Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think my fan may not be working... long story short, wrecked the bike a couple months ago, and I think the wiring for the fan might be messed up causing it to malfunction - when the bike warms up and is idleing fine, it will randomly stall. It starts back up fine, and it runs fine other than the stalling which it only does at idle.

Question is, I really want to go riding tonight and I want to know if the fan isn't working, but I'm constantly moving, is that going to fubar my engine or will it be alright? I only wanna ride like maybe 20-30 miles... what do you think?

·
Registered
89 Posts
You'll probably be fine. The trick is to not be stopped for too long. Also watch your guages. My fan is currently out of commission because of a bad switch and it rides just fine as long as I avoid traffic and stopping for more then several minutes with the bike running. Its not the greatest idea to go riding with a broken fan, but you gotta do what you gotta do :banana

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, I don't have a temp gauge, just a light. I've never seen the high temp light on before tho so I don't know. The fan might actually be working, I'm going to check it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Personally, I think taking the chance of screwing up your bike out weighs going out for a quicky ride. Just my $.02.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bah, fuck it, I'll take the ninjoid.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rode about 80 miles on the ninja... even though I've already gone on my ride, does anyone else have an opinion on whether it's a bad idea or not??

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If you had a temp guage, I'd say go for it.
With just an idiot light, you're running a much higher chance of screwing up your motor.
Having never seen the light on and having no idea if that light may be related to your fan not coming on (both linked to a broken sensor perhaps?) - you lose all ability to control the situation. Not worth the risk.

·
Banned
82 Posts
hard wire the fan with some wires in the conectorsand see if it works
my relay quit on my bike so i just have a on/off switch electrical tapped to the windscreen support...it works...dan

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see what you're saying about the gauge (or if I had a digital readout). In a little while I'm going to try and hot wire it and see if it turns on.

If hot wiring it works, doesn't that just mean the fan will be on at all times with the key in the ON position? If so, why couldn't I just leave it that way? I mean, do I HAVE to put a toggle switch on it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The fan could kill your battery pretty quickly if your engine is not on. It happened to me once when i left the key in the on position for a couple of minutes after a long ride and the fan was on.

Also - i wouldnt ride without a fan. i have a digital temp gauge and watch it go up even when i am going 20 mph. So what happens if you hit a construction zone? or slow moving traffic?

Edit - I've heard people say that (some?) bikes don't start recharging the battery until you're above a certain rpm. If that's true, then its possible that just idling with the fan running would be enough to kill your battery after a while. Can anyone confirm that?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my fan works, so I went and got a switch and some wire. I'm not quite sure HOW I'm going to mount it to the bike seeing as how any kind of tape would come undone in the FL sun... I think I might try some JB weld quik stick and see how that works.

Is it fine for me to run the fan all the time as long as the bike is not just sitting there idling for a long time?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Ride it as if it were an aircooled bike:

a) No high RPMS at low speed for a prolonged time
b) Do not rev it while being stopped

The rest do not apply. Just watch the temperature gauge closely and you'll be fine. Either way, those fans are basically there just to keep the bike from overheating in the traffic.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LoL maybe you didn't read all the posts... I hardwired the fan into a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off.

I don't have a temp gauge, just an idiot light.

The fan was not the problem I was having with the bike stalling out... I'm confused.

·
Banned
82 Posts
yep but i usually just leave it on i know if we are going at it on my route~35 mile round trip i can get half way up in the temp range even with the fan on the whole way.

Dan

coolant looks good and clean i doubt it needs a flush

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
you will need the fan on when driving around in Tally traffic. It will get very hot very quickly...when you get out on the road...turn it off

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you ride the bike and it overheats for too long, there is a STRONG possibility of warping the head.

you have three options when that happens. Have a custom head gasket made, or have the head milled and valves checked and adjusted if necessary, or replace it all together.

They listed in order of expense and none of the solutions are really cheap. It would be easier and cheaper in the long run to figure out why your fan isn't working. . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts