Sport Bikes banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
You will have difficulty with the dual sport bikes. Hell, I have difficulty and I'm 5'9. I could only get 1 foot down (on the ball of that foot as well, mind you) on a DRZ400 and a KLR650. The Tiger 800XC I could get two balls of my feet down. If I buy a dual sport/adventure bike, the Tiger is at the top of my list.
funniest moment of the day- well not the funniest- but it was pretty epic watching you take off on that dual sport- with not even your leg over the bike- more like just your calf.

that was awesome.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You will have difficulty with the dual sport bikes. Hell, I have difficulty and I'm 5'9. I could only get 1 foot down (on the ball of that foot as well, mind you) on a DRZ400 and a KLR650. The Tiger 800XC I could get two balls of my feet down. If I buy a dual sport/adventure bike, the Tiger is at the top of my list.
~~
And that's too bad, 'cause i really like the flavor of the adventure bikes. They're sporty and aggresive styled, with neutral riding positions. Could give a shit about off-road capability, but I really like their compromised style. The new Honda CB500X, as far as it's styling, is the kind of bike I really like.
~~

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Im 5' 5 and I ride a ktm duke 2 supermoto and a v-Strom 1000.

Don't worry about the height. When you become an experienced ride you will be fine.

When I'm at a stop light I calf my ktm. Or look for a curb to put my foot on.

S

·
0 Posts
No offense whatsoever intended...but I don't see why anyone would rather ride an "adventure" bike than a sportbike. The exhilaration of the power, handling and speed are untouchable by any other class of bike. Slicing thru traffic like a razor is one helluva thrill. When I see someone on a cruiser S-L-O-W-L-Y meandering through the streets I am so glad I bought a SV650 instead of Sportster 883 or derivative.

To stay on-topic...NO I don't think in any reasonable way is a SV650 a "beginner's bike". Its waaay to powerful and fast. In some countries where speeds normally don't exceed 75mph a 650 is considered a BIG bike. Just today I hit 85mph in fourth gear w/out going over 6500 which a beginner could very easily get himself killed w/ such power & speed in traffic.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts